Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Texture help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So, my friend made an object in blender and when I put it into the game it lacked any type of texture. We're both new to all of this, so could anybody walk us through how to get it textured (what we have to do in blender, dark gdk, etc.)
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 07:53
I cant tell you the specifics of blender or even if blender is capable of it, but to texture your object in a 3D package requires that you assign it a set of UV texture co-ordinates, usually by unwrapping the wireframe of the object in various ways(depending on the object itself you may need to unwrap differently to make it look correct with minimal adjustments - there is also Ultimate 3DUnwrap i think its called, that is an app specifically for assigning UV's to objects by unwrapping them)

A UV co-ordinate is a set of co-ordinated inside the model, that stretch across the models polygons and allow a texture to be draped arouund the model.. Usually in a 3D package, you will be able to have some kind of preview, while you manipulate your unwrapped mesh on your texture image(I know Max09 and XSI6.5 myself but havent used blender b4)

Once you have your object textured correctly in blender you can export it(as a .X directX format) and load it into GDK, if the texture is in the correct place with the model, it should load automatically, but if it doesnt, you can always use "dbLoadImage" to load it and "dbTextureObject" to texture the object with it.

If you want to get really tricky, there are commands inside GDK for manually manipulating the UV data of the mesh's vertices and commands for manipulating the objects texture, like scaling or scrolling it, but I think that may be a little beyond what you are looking for.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Bender65
Years of Service
User Offline
Well it kind of works, but w're having a problem where pieces of the model are missing/invisible. Here's what I'm talking about:
This is what it should look like -

This is what it looks like now-

Any idea why this is happening?
Potassium
Years of Service
User Offline
I think i know the problem. You didn't texture the object in DARK GDK. This is what you do:

Once you load the object, you need to do this:
1) load image
2) texture object

You need to apply the texture to the objetc otherwise its blank.

Quick Summary:
1. Load model
2. Load Texture Image
3. Texture Object

Wasn't so hard was it?
Bender65
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for spelling it out, but I do understand that part of it. However what I've noticed with some of the examples is that the "dbTextureObject" code isn't always necessary. With the sample models, as long as the texture file is in the same folder as the model, it will automactically load the texture, and that's what we are confused about. How do we export a model from blender with a texture file that is linked too it?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:19:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:19:27