Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / The Mighty Samson Adventures- (an awesome 2d platformer)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 05:44 Edited at: 16th Jul 2009 06:51
Hello Everyone,

I made this video game for college for my Game Design class final exam. We had 2 weeks to make a game in Gamemaker and were allowed doing anything we put our minds to. I decided on making a 2d platformer that is rather similar to the original Bible Adventure game, but with improved graphics. Thank you for any comments or criticism on playing the game.

best,

Jared

The Last Great Swordsmen a 3D hack N slash http://lastswordsmen.freezoka.com

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 05:48
Sorry, for the double post. Here is a screen shot showcasing the 2nd level that is an Egytian themed level where you will go toe to toe with a Centur. Thanks for any input.

Beastegargoyle

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 06:43 Edited at: 15th Jul 2009 06:44
@ Beast E,

i guess it's what i deserve for not reading the initial post past the first sentence before downloading... (mainly the Gamemaker part) and i wish i had something good to say about it... but i don't. instead of the normal breakdown i try to give titles found here, suffice to say there is nothing "awesome" about it. sorry

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Well. For GameMaker I guess its Ok. Better than the game maker games I used to come up with lol. But did your game design teacher make you use game maker?

ZScreenie - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152602&b=8
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 16:11
Yes, we were only permitted to use GameMaker for the final exam which was to make a 2d game. So I came up with this concept for the game. I'm sorry you guys don't have many comments beside's it being made in GameMaker. Did either of you notice any other real faults in the gameplay beside's the main protagonist jumping way too high. I wasn't able to figure out how to change the character's height variable and I even tried sufficing code in for blocks with the game engine to no success.

Beastegargoyle

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 16:36
The Good:
- It works!
- Difficulty level for the first level was spot-on.
- Walking on clouds - didn't expect that .
- The music caught the right feel.

The Bad (Constructive Crit):
- The loading screen gave a bad first impression with a very nice render of the main character (I assume) and the word 'Loading" scrawled in the corner with MS Paint.
- The directions were lacking. Do I have a sword or something? And why can't I use this bow you speak of? I found out you could squish enemies by sheer chance. And why can't I squish the flying guys?
- There were some transparency problems with the first enemy while moving right, and the spikes on the second level.
- The difficulty of the second level jumped WAAY up, and I couldn't even get past the first two guys.
- I got the top high score after killing two guys on the first level.
- The camera movement was not sensitive enough, and wouldn't trigger until I was nearly to the edge of the screen - how do I see where I'm going?
- The background on the second level was too distracting - I sometimes couldn't tell what was part of the level and what was just background.
- A paper? A PAPER? Why is that an extra life!?

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 17:26
@BMacZero- That is a reply I was looking for. Thanks for the good comments.

*I will address the bad comments now. I added the word loading in MS paint because it takes the game forever to load in Gamemaker since I used .mp3s instead of the prefered .wma and it was lacking a loading signal( I will fix it tonight).
*For the directions did you press F1? If not, that explains it and I have noted your point for squishing enemies and will add it in the info to the information screen.
*Yes, I had a difficult time getting the lions to come out properly on the first level. I fixed it and switched the direction the lion was facing for going left and it went completely invisible so I left it with the black surrounding.
*I will slow the 2nd level enemies down some.
*Unforunately, Gamemaker suffers from a slow camera issue that at the moment I have been unable to figure out.
*It is not a piece of paper, there is a treasure chest and a white stone tablet similar to Bible Adventures on the Sega Genesis that gives you lives.

Beastegargoyle

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 17:36
I did press F1 and still had the problems listed - mainly that it didn't tell me how to kill the enemies .

Diggsey: I have a spine and memory, but one memorable guy says he hates me. What am I?
Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 06:53
Good news, I have just re-uploaded the game with improved implementation techniques for the game. Please keep commenting.

Thanks,

Beastegargoyle

DarkByNight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 10:53
Well since the entire first level and all the mechanics are just a copy / paste of the 2D platformer tutorial from the yoyogames site, I really can't say anything good about it. Except maybe the shooting, atleast you figured out how to get it to shoot in the direction you were facing.
If you want to make games, you should read the tutorials, but just use them to learn, not to copy / paste the entire structure and even use the tileset and background of the tutorial.
Sorry if this sounds harsh. I just don't like when people take peoples work and try to pass it off as their own.
I hope you can instread learn and make your own games at some point.
Lucifer
Years of Service
User Offline
Beast E Gargoyle, why did you set such a low standard of quality for this project? If you didn't mean to then i can't help thinking that you must have seen how bad it really is, and how unfinished it feels, and you didn't try to make up for those problems?

The only thing i really didn't dislike was the graphics, but when i read DarkByNight's post and looked for this tutorial on yoyogames ( http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker ) i saw that it would seem that those weren't even made for this project, even the first map wasn't your original design. I wonder, how much game "designing" or comming up with a concept other than "finish the tutorial on yoyogames" did go into this project?

I know my post is far from constructive critisism but i really have no idea where to begin if i were to talk about individual flaws about this game, overall i think it's just bad. This game also did a pretty good job of giving me a headache.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 21:32
Well guys I made this game based off the tutorial yes. Btw, the song, character, enemies, and background are all different from the tutorial. I did work very hard on the game even though it doesn't show it. The 5th level is my favorite with the inclusion of robots.

@DarkByNight- Don't be so fast on your trigger finger. The only items I took from the tutorial was the level 1 tile set, because I wasn't sure how it worked at that point and we were given the tutorial to start off of if need be.

The game was based on the trial by death genre made famous by the sega genesis. That is likely why it felt more difficult than what had been expected.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 22:22:53
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 22:22:53