Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Respawn Issue

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All

I'm having alot of trouble getting my characters to re-spawn more than about four times each (and yes, I have searched the forum, several times). I have set respawn at start to "yes", Max at any one time to "1", Maxiumum spawn to "1000", Respawn after delay to "yes", Respawn after death to "no" and the delay is set at 1,200 but as I play through the game I cannot help but find certain items, including ammo packs failing to regenerate after I play for some time. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas?
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 12:38 Edited at: 15th Jul 2009 12:51
Off the top of my head shouldn't respawn after death be set to yes? Although that's probably not it, I don't respawn objects very often...

EDIT
Oh yeah it's definitely not that...

chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
When I set respawn after death to yes it usually respawns the entity instantly which won't really work as my game is heavily variable based (i.e. I can't have the player poach in one spot to shoot the same re-spawning entity). I just finished another playtest and it seems to be a time issue - after a period of time all items fail to respawn. For instance, if I set the respawn after death field to yes I can happily shoot dozens of the same entity in a row, but after about 20 minutes or so all entites fail to respawn, including those that were once spawning instantly after their destruction.

-pulls hair out-
Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
@chidem, thats crazy. If this is not a simple fix, wow.
Quote: " I don't respawn objects very often... "
I'm the same, so I'm no help to you. I hope someone here has tried the same test runs as you have and may have an answer on the topic.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 13:05
Can I ask how long your levels are in terms of time? It does seem if it's over a long period of time it might be a time issue...

chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Can I ask how long your levels are in terms of time? It does seem if it's over a long period of time it might be a time issue..."

Wel,, the idea is that the level is an open world environment - I think the last play through I did was somewhere between 30-45 minutes long. I have just noticed that the "number to spawn" field was set at zero - I wonder if increasing that might help the situation?
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 13:19
Just wondering if this happens in a built game or test game or both?

chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Just wondering if this happens in a built game or test game or both?"

Both - I built the game last night with the intention of releasing it today and this issue was prevelant in that version also
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 13:31
Perhaps this is an issue that Lee needs to look at...

I've only used respawn in multiplayer games, and none have lasted long enough for this to be an issue...

Freakon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2009 13:45 Edited at: 15th Jul 2009 13:45
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere FPS only let's you spawn a maximum of 4 objects with the re-spawn (don't know if this is true or not)

But if you look at page 106 of the community giude there is a script on there for multiple re-spawn of an entity using a switch, but you could replace this with a trigger zone!

Not sure if this helps,

A
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
I just another test - I loaded a test level but let the game idle for about 30 minutes - when I played through it was fine until I had been actively playing for a while and the same thing happened again

Quote: "I'm sure I remember reading somewhere FPS only let's you spawn a maximum of 4 objects with the re-spawn (don't know if this is true or not)

But if you look at page 106 of the community giude there is a script on there for multiple re-spawn of an entity using a switch, but you could replace this with a trigger zone!

Not sure if this helps,"

I'll look into this, but what exactly do you mean 4 objects? I have waaay more than four, but do I have four object types (counts on fingers)...probably - I'll see what I can find out with further testing
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to bump this but thought I'd better let you know that I found something of a solution to this though I've not tested it enough yet. If you use Uman's load/unload dynamic entities on a given object then this counter issue should not effect these particular entities. I stumbled on this by accident but have yet to try running all my dynamic entities using this system so I can't say for sure that they won't also clock out, as it were. But running a combination of stock regeneration and Uman's script I am at least able to get the Uman enabled entities to continually respawn.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:21:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:21:04