Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Improve Performance in FPSC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 22:26
Hey guys, my game started out fine, and when I added more, it became slower, and slower, and so slow it dropped to 3 frames per second. Does anyone have suggestions of how to make FPSC run better?
I am aware that:
-I can turn the texture quality to low (but for me it makes no difference)
-I can turn shaders off (I already did, no effect)
-I can turn off lightmapping (but it'll look ugly)
So does anyone else know how to tweak some other settings to make FPSC perform better?
-Adrian
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 23:34
Better hardware would be a great idea

Freelance Web Designer Email me for quotes and samples of works

Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 Ghz, 4GB, 2x Nvidia 9600GT 1GB
AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 05:37
Quote: "http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149500&b=21

Kravenwolf"

Quote: "Better hardware would be a great idea"

Kravenwolf: I won't be using that mod since I can only use it in test game, and not build game, and yet I have no spare cash with me to spend on it. This game is for the competition.

The Next: I can't upgrade or get a new computer until I get into University, which is years from now.

-Adrian
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey guys, my game started out fine, and when I added more, it became slower, and slower, and so slow it dropped to 3 frames per second. Does anyone have suggestions of how to make FPSC run better?
I am aware that:
-I can turn the texture quality to low (but for me it makes no difference)
-I can turn shaders off (I already did, no effect)
-I can turn off lightmapping (but it'll look ugly)
So does anyone else know how to tweak some other settings to make FPSC perform better?"

Basically better game design. If things such as buying new hardward or mods (try S4 - it's free!) are out of your price range then you need to redeign your level(s). I know this isn't much help but even with S4 your game might well struggle - I know this from my own experiences trying to build a large open world level. The key, I think, is in designing your level so that particular areas are self contained by segments. This seems to stop FPSC from attempting to draw segments and non-dynamic entities beyond your line of sight which will greatly save on processing. I you have two large/complicated rooms try containing each completely and connecting them with a basic corridor. Think of the corridor as a kind of loading screen. If you've played Metroid Prime think of how the game loads a new area only only once you activate a door and I think you'll get the idea.

Also, don't overload your level, let alone a particular area, with too many enemies or dynamic entities. Maybe no more than 2-3 enemies in a given, self contained area. I'm no expert, believe me, but these are the lessons I've learned that *seem* to work from my own experiences.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 19:19:34
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 19:19:34