Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / T.ED world

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry if this is the wrong thread but thats partly what this post is for.

So heres my question.

I\'m thinking about getting the T.ED world studio but I was wondering (for anyone who already has it) does it work with dark GDK its says it will work with darkbasic and the pro version so I gusess that means no GDK. however it says it can Export to Direct X wich GDK CAN laod as objects So could I load it as a object or would it not work?

thanks.

c++ = easy GDK = IMPOSSIBLE lol
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 01:50
T.Ed works well with GDK, in my opinion anyway. It can export into formats that can be loaded into GDK(3 formats I think)..

You can either Export the whole terrain as a big .X model(or i think it supports .DBO aswell) to load, with a supertexture, which is one big texture that is draped over the terrain.

or you can export your terrains as heightmaps, with a hole bunch of options for alpha and environment maps, and load it into GDK as an Advanced Terrain object(or with your own mesh if you choose)

or you can export it into T.Ed's native format and load that directly into GDK. It saves the world as a bunch of small .X object tiles, and saves all their position, texture etc info into the .ted file, which you can parse thru with cpp to be able to load. There are a couple of T.Ed loaders for GDK to load .ted files aswell that people have made, you should be able to find them by searching these forums.

For the price of the product, I think its pretty damn good.. although Im not sure if its being updated anymore, the latest version has very few bugs that I have noticed.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
beginner98
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "T.Ed works well with GDK, in my opinion anyway. It can export into formats that can be loaded into GDK(3 formats I think)..

You can either Export the whole terrain as a big .X model(or i think it supports .DBO aswell) to load, with a supertexture, which is one big texture that is draped over the terrain.

or you can export your terrains as heightmaps, with a hole bunch of options for alpha and environment maps, and load it into GDK as an Advanced Terrain object(or with your own mesh if you choose)

or you can export it into T.Ed's native format and load that directly into GDK. It saves the world as a bunch of small .X object tiles, and saves all their position, texture etc info into the .ted file, which you can parse thru with cpp to be able to load. There are a couple of T.Ed loaders for GDK to load .ted files aswell that people have made, you should be able to find them by searching these forums.

For the price of the product, I think its pretty damn good.. although Im not sure if its being updated anymore, the latest version has very few bugs that I have noticed."

cool. but with .X format will it show up like I had it textured (cos I have had this has happend with other programs before)

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 15:13
It depends on how you texture it. If you use a single large "supertexture" .... that is one large texture file containing all of the textures used that is draped over the top of the X model then you can just use dbTextureObject(obj, img).. if you exported as a set of heightmaps and alphamaps then you would need to more than likeley use a shader to texture the different images onto different parts of the terrain(or access the mesh manually which is complex) ... unless you exported a supertexture aswell, which you can use with the heightmap as easily as the object....

T.Ed's export options are very flexible, you can even export as all of its available options at once... so heightmaps, with supertexture, alphamaps, colourmaps, .X tiles, .X single model, and .ted all at once.

You can download a trial version of T.Ed I believe, to try it out, im not sure about feature limitations on the trial though.

beginner98
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It depends on how you texture it. If you use a single large "supertexture" .... that is one large texture file containing all of the textures used that is draped over the top of the X model then you can just use dbTextureObject(obj, img).. if you exported as a set of heightmaps and alphamaps then you would need to more than likeley use a shader to texture the different images onto different parts of the terrain(or access the mesh manually which is complex) ... unless you exported a supertexture aswell, which you can use with the heightmap as easily as the object....

T.Ed's export options are very flexible, you can even export as all of its available options at once... so heightmaps, with supertexture, alphamaps, colourmaps, .X tiles, .X single model, and .ted all at once.

You can download a trial version of T.Ed I believe, to try it out, im not sure about feature limitations on the trial though."

I got the trial the damn thing won't let me save/export anything, thats why I came here about it.

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 02:07
Oh, I guess thats the trial's limititation then.. sorry..

But I can tell you from experience that Its very easy to work with T.Ed terrains in DarGDK, in multiple ways.

I use a combination of T.Ed and 3D World Studio to build levels... I use TEd for larger outdoor scenes, and 3dws for indoor scenes.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:26:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:26:58