Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Tree Party GDK Version ?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 05:48 Edited at: 17th Jul 2009 05:49
Hey, I am planning on purchasing Tree Party but was curious as to if there is a version requirement for GDK..

The TGC webpage says that you require DarkBasic Pro 7.1+ OR DarkGDK .. it doesnt put a version requirement there.

I will be purchasing regardless, as I am currently switching between the 16-11-07 libraries and the GDK7.3 libraries anyway(I am using some welded vert terrains, based off Visigoth's terrain system which doesnt like 7.3 or the november 08 upgrade for some reason) but was just curious if there was a limitation on GDK version before I start planning anything too far.

EDIT : I am posting this here as the sticky for Tree Party is locked. And thanx to any who can answer

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 12:16
Sorry, I haven't tried it, please keep us informed of how it does.

I wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell you about Dark Coder's Foliage library: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=144892&b=8
Just in case you didn't know about it

Quote: "I am using some welded vert terrains, based off Visigoth's terrain system which doesnt like 7.3 or the november 08 upgrade for some reason"

To be sincere, this is what called my attraction. I'm having some strange problems as well, like some objects dissapearing with certain camera angles. Could you post some details about your problem, let's say, in the DGDK 7.3 thread?

Back on topic, Tree Party should work, shouldn't it?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 12:49 Edited at: 17th Jul 2009 15:47
Im thinking it will, I will post back as soon as I know.. Im just waiting on my confirmation now lol (purchased a few hours ago)

I'll have a play with it(Tree Party) with both GDK 7.3 and the 16-11-07 GDK, once the confitmation is through.

Quote: "I wouldn't be fair if I didn't tell you about Dark Coder's Foliage library"

Cheers I do know about dark coder's lib, and I think its excellent. I'll probably end up using it for something sometime, im just not 100% sure what yet, its in the "to use when i can" pile. TBH the Tree Editor was most of what attracted me to Tree Party though, but the rest does look pretty too in the screenies and demo.

EDIT : sorry i missed the last line of your response Morcilla.... about the mesh problem, its to do with index data being incorrectly set in memblock meshes or meshes made from memblocks, which is how my terrain is being created... I think its already a confirmed bug since dbpro 7.1(in the bug forums) and Jason Sage has a post in the bug forums about the same thing aswell, his VMESH class is based on visigoth's welded vert terrains and works perfectly under gdk 16-11-07 but not under gdk nov08 or 7.3

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 16:39
Ok, I got my confirmation through and have just finished playing with and testing Tree Party(albiet quickly) with DarkGDK versions 16-11-07(un-upgraded "default" version) through to DarkGDK 7.3.

All lights were green, everything was go without any tweaks/changes or anything other than "add existing project" and "build/run".(thats with all libs, i have the different gdk's in different folders so i can switch quickly)

Some of the default variables I will need to change to suit myself and the scale of my other models, but it all looked nice too, I didnt notice anything obvious that I wouldnt like about the system visually while i was playing with it....

Plus, it doesnt come as a static library, which is how I assumed it would be distributed, it comes as source code, a cpp and header and with the editor which is responsible for generating your trees(you dont get the source to that, just the loading/usage system). So, if something isnt doing what you want it to, I dont think it would be too hard to tweak the system to change it.

All up so far, I've got to say I feel its money well spent, and considering how little it costs, compared with something like speed tree, a bargain too.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 16:59
Wow, the source code. Then it is a must see. Thanks for the info

Also, I see that your index data problem is different to the problems I've met, that seems more related to an internal frustum culling, that tries to speed up the graphic display. Unfortunately it hides objects that it shouldn't.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 19:11
Oh, I see what you mean... the best thing I can think to do about it would be to whip up a little app to demonstrate the problem easily, and post it with a description in the bug forums.

Hopefully it will get seen and fixed...

But as for Tree Party, definately money well spent The Editor is pretty cool, gives you alot of control over the look of the trees you make.

There are 2 different "tree" formats though, 1 for DBPro and 1 for GDK... but there is a conversion utility included to make it easy to get your trees into GDK. The DOCS are good too, very helpful.

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 12:33
Quote: "Oh, I see what you mean... the best thing I can think to do about it would be to whip up a little app to demonstrate the problem easily, and post it with a description in the bug forums.

Hopefully it will get seen and fixed..."

I've tried some quick tests to replicate it, unfortunately I haven't been able. However I'm sure that the issue exist, because the same project behaves properly (the dissapearing object issue is gone) if it is compiled using DGDK/VS2005.

Quote: "But as for Tree Party, definately money well spent The Editor is pretty cool, gives you alot of control over the look of the trees you make.

There are 2 different "tree" formats though, 1 for DBPro and 1 for GDK... but there is a conversion utility included to make it easy to get your trees into GDK. The DOCS are good too, very helpful."

Sounds as good as it can be, and thanks again for the info. It will help to anyone starting with Tree Party. Do you think it can be used to spread other kind of objects in the scene? I mean not only trees but... for example lampposts?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 15:28
Quote: "Do you think it can be used to spread other kind of objects in the scene?"

Probably not, I havent played with it alot yet(just managed to get GG's blend/bump shader working with Visigoth's memblock usgs terrains in cpp.. so im playin with that atm lol - tidying up my port to something im comfortable with posting here, hoping to get some trees happening on the terrain too with a little luck), but it seems pretty much soley dedicated to trees. The tree format that it uses is a custom one, and it maniplates them down to the vertex level, to provide the animation for wind etc and diffuse changes..

While the basic logic behind it could be applied other objects, from a point of view of it's LOD techniques(which r pretty cool), the actual code itself I think wouldnt be suited to anything except trees.

Although, thinking about it a little... perhaps your lampposts could "mimick" the tree, except for the windgust of course lol, that would look strange.... The actual post could be seen as the trunk, the struts across the top could be the branches, the lamps could be seen as leaves... you could even have a hybrid tree/post that might line a jungle path thats overgrown, imagine vines and creepers growing on and hanging from the lampposts... ( the way the tree's foliage moves with the camera may look a little weird for something man-made like a lamppost though, but im sure you could stop it in the code somewhere )

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 03:02
Just to let everybody here in the GDK forums know(if you didnt already), Swamp Donkley has just released version 1.13 of Tree Party bringing it into line with DBPro 7.4. The DarkBasic Pro thread has all the details :

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=155912&b=1

The new version is not on the downloads page as of the time Im posting this, but it shouldnt be too far off.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:18:30
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:18:30