Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Help with illumination maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 01:52
Okay, so I've been trying to get a working illumination map working on one of my light entities, but I see to be unable to. I remember being able to do this before though...

For those who know how to do this:

Do I use illuminationent.fx or illuminationmap.fx? What is the difference between the two?

And in order to do this, does my illumination map texture require an alpha channel?

Thanks!

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 05:45
Illuminationent I believe.

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 06:44
See, that's the thing. When I use that, the whole entity appears illuminated, even though I only have a small part of it illuminated in the illumination map. When I use the other effect, nothing happens. Only the Sith deal in absolutes (unnecessary Star Wars reference).

My texture file is Wall Light (Red)_D2.dds and my illumination map is Wall Light (Red)_I.dds.

My FPE

Am I doing something wrong?

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
No you are not. It is very normal that the shader behaves like that. Try illumnationmap.fx that is what i use for lights. Thought it is illuminated without any actually light there. So make sure you place a actually light.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 23:55
So both the illumination shaders are broken? I got the shaders working perfectly on stock media, and I did made the FPE for my model based on the STOCK FPE, even tried applying the stock illumination map to my model to see if it would work. For some reason the map just doesn't want to work with my model...any ideas?

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 07:09
Inspire, I've got the exactly the same problem as you. The illumination maps are not working for either shader.

I have an alternate texture for the entity along with an illumination map for it, and it turns black when I switch to it.
daarboven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 08:29
some of my selfmade entities also show broken textures and no light fx when using either of the two available shaders. It's terribly buggy.

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise.
JZ28
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "illuminationent.fx or illuminationmap.fx?"

illuminationent.fx is for when you don't have a map, it lights the whole thing up. illuminationmap.fx is when you do have a map. because illuminationmap.fx didn't work for me i just color the dark parts of my model black and use illuminationent.fx

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 20:19
Thanks, ZFletch1. Now I know which one to use!

Anybody else have any idea how to get illuminationmap.fx to work? I'm thinking it has to have something to do with alphas, I swear I read that somewhere.

Lewis
VBOTB Developer '10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2009 21:52
Inspire, just a question man. What exactly is going wrong for you?

I just want to know in case its the same problem as me.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 01:37
illuminationent.fx is used for dynamic entities.
illuminationmap.fx is used for static entities and segments.

The difference betweent he two is that illuminationmap.fx REQUIRES A LIGHTMAP, meaning it'll be expecting there to be a lightmap passed to it from the engine. If the entity is dynamic, then there won't be one and it'll mess up.

Both shaders require an illumination map texture.

Ensure your illumination map is the same size as your regular texture.

Also of note here, since these are stock shaders, FPSC has a bit of code for them internally. If you give "illuminationent.fx" to a static entity, it will automatically swap it out and use "illuminationmap.fx". So for entities, you're better off using "illuminationent.fx", i mean.... I kinda figured it was obvious that that was what the "ent" stood for in the filename.

Now, for the bad news. I do recall encountering this, and I'm sad to say I don't quite remember what I did to fix it. I was working on the shader system for my mod at the time, but by the end of it all, it was working.

Also, make sure your illumination map texture has the _I suffix.

That's about all I got for ya.

The one and only,

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 06:17
Thank you very much Plystire. I'll double check all these things, but if I buy Project Blue, you're saying you fixed it? Or is that only V1.7?

Toasty Fresh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 10:53
Quote: "i mean.... I kinda figured it was obvious that that was what the "ent" stood for in the filename.
"

Ohhhh... Now I get it

"You are not smart! You are very un-smart!"
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2009 20:35
If it ever was broken, it's fixed now.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 19:13:52
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 19:13:52