Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Game darker in some monitors

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 15:03
I've checked about this problem but can not find many answers so here it goes.

We are doing our demo level for our game in a "normal" HP monitor but when running the demo on some other monitor it shows darker. In some cases it can be the monitor light level, but what happens when you're using a monitor like the HP LP3065 (one of our test monitors) that does not have any form of control of light? Some of the games we've tried there are... pitch black. The same happens with our demo, that shows detail in other monitors... We've changed the light level on the demo from 10 to 25 and then it looks better (like 10 on the others) but this is not a solution if you're distributing the game/demo to be used in different computers and monitors. Has anyone hade the same problem? is there a solution?
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 16:24
Different monitors have different DFT values,for example my monitor has 1:5000 DFT,someone with 1:1000 DFT will see it darker.

[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 16:29
I have two identical monitors bought at the same time, connected to the same computer, and one is brighter and sharper than the other. Although I can adjust them to be close using the onboard controls and video adapter software, there will always be a difference. This is common, as monitors are like diamonds and no two are exactly alike.

I think that the best way to compensate for this, as well as allow for the personal preference of different players, is to build a lighting range into the game. This way, the player can adjust the lighting to both his monitor and personal preference.

An easy way to do this is by using the ambiance levels in the build game dialog. Set the ambiance to your low or darkest settings, and your individual red/green/blue to your lightest settings. Say you set them at 10, and 25/25/25 respectively. Now the player can adjust his lighting between 10 and 25 using the < > keys. You just need to include that information with the rest of the KEY settings for the player.

That's one way to do it.

Brian.

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks.

fpsFREE - Contact Me
Errant AI
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 18:48 Edited at: 18th Jul 2009 18:57
Even with identical monitors, calibration is something you can never count on even if you are in the print graphics industry with specialized monitors and using spectrometers, calibration software, etc. Perception of contrast will also shift if playing in a dark or well lit room or if viewangle is not correct with some LCDs. Even contrast shift between the top to bottom of the screen can occur on some LCDs.

I like xplosys idea but you may want something where you don't allow the player to cheat the lighting in-game or are using scripts which would conflict.

I suggest having a menu screen image with a grayscale color bar and text instructing the user to adjust their monitor so that they can see all of the gradations (say, 10-15 grayscale blocks/swatches from 225,225,225 to 0,0,0 values) in order to play the game the way the game designers intend. This was done with some old survival horror game like Silent Hill or RE (can't remember).

Something like this...

It's far from perfect but should help if a monitor is tweaked really wrongly and clamping/blowing-out. If someone can adjust their screen to see all the gradation swatches and the game is still all black, then your game is probably too dark.
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 21:17
Quote: "This was done with some old survival horror game"

I've remeber this from an early game as well. Great Idea. We just have to find a way to incorporate it or make it obvious.

Brian.

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks.

fpsFREE - Contact Me
Viriatos
Years of Service
User Offline
:xplosys: I really like that ideia. I couldn't resist, I had to code it and try! Looks nice.

:Errant AI: I like your ideia! Sounds nice, I should give it a try later. But... how about "player's light cheat"? That's up to the player! Am I right?
Twoflower
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2009 19:16 Edited at: 19th Jul 2009 19:17
Thanks to xplosys and Errant AI for the suggestions. We did (me and Viriatos) implement the xplosys idea for now and yes it's great, but we intend to have a look at Errant AI idea.

Both are workable although xplosys is the easy way and, what is great, accessible to everyone. Errant AI suggestion,used in some games, is more "professional" and might be the way to go, but for now the "easy way" just gave us a chance to try the demo in different computers without having to open the setuplevel file and change it for each different machine.

Thanks to you both and also to everybody that left their input here. We hope the question also solves problems for other people.

)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 19:16:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 19:16:19