Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / List of Shaders that WORK with DGDK

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I only managed to get the Lava FX shader to work with DGDK.

Anyone had any success with other shaders?

It would be good to compile a definitive list of what does work.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 00:36
when you say "work" .. do you mean examples that compile without any errors or something else ?

I have had no trouble getting any shaders that were properly written working with GDK. And only a little more trouble getting some others to work. But I have never NOT been able to get a shader working with GDK when that shader works also with DBPro.

I actually made a couple of examples using some shader techniques combined.. there was reflective refractive water and terrain blending/bump mapping, soft shadows, cartoon shading, normal mapping, cubic lighting, parallax mapping etc.... search these forums for [example] shader and you should find it.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
most of the shaders that work with dbpro don't seem to work with dgdk. result in many cases is a black object. most probably i have been highly unlucky seeing that you say that all dbpro shaders work
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 09:25
Other than GDK enforcing a minimum of shader model 2.0(due to DX), and some slightly different changing FVF behaviour relating to UV stages I've not noticed any difference. So assuming you change the PS and check any FVF altering code every shader that works in DBPro should work in GDK.

jezza
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 09:50
it might be your graphics card...

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 12:07
Yes, all shaders (adjusted to work with DBPro/DGDK) run fine.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
i don't think it has to do with my gfx card (nvidia 8600) since the dbpro versions of the shaders run fine.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 18:17 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2009 18:19
There are some differences in GDK in the way you set it up. Sync Masking is handled a little differently in syntax, so if you dont get that right it wont render properly( you can tell if it isnt right either by the look, it will either definately not look right, OR it may look kind of right, but it will be very very slow and look a little off, if you mask them properly, there will be almost NO noticable slowdown from the shaders and extra rendering), and you need to make sure that your object's FVF vertex format will support the amount of textures you are putting onto it aswell as any diffuse, specular or UV that it needs.

The Nvidia 8600 chip should be capable of running all of the shaders as far as I know(I thought it supported ps/vs3, and its not that old of a card really in comparison to something like the old nvid7200 in my testbench pc which runs all of the shaders ive thrown at it so far upto ps2). Perhaps make sure that it's drivers are updated, nvidia do fairly regular updates to their drivers, usualy every couple of months or so....

Here is a link to some examples that I did not long ago for shaders in GDK they are just quickly thrown together, but demonstrate using shaders in GDK in different ways, there is water, bump map, normal map, soft shadow, cublic lighting, cartoon shading and some others in there aswell I think, they are direct ports of evolved's DBPro shader examples, mostly :

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=152491&b=22

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 18:33
Quote: "Sync Masking is handled a little differently in syntax"

Other than the obvious differences between DBPro and C++ they look exactly the same to me, care to point out the apparent difference(s)?

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 18:55
Just upgrade to the latest version of GDK. I had the same problem before, and upgrading was the best thing to do.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2009 23:57
@dark coder.... I didnt mean in the "engine". I agree that they do look the same.... In reference to sync masking I was referring to the syntax..

You can call it from DBPRO with : sync mask 2^1...

meaning 2 to the power of 1 .... you cannot use that syntax in C++ was all I meant from that... you can pass the values in different ways though...

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2009 09:36
Because '^' is the XOR operator in C++, and that would be difference in semantics. It's also faster and make far more sense to just use a bit shift, so 1 << cameraID.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
nvidia drivers are updated.

using very latest version of dgdk.

thanks for all the info, i will continue with experiments on getting dbpro shaders to work with gdk
KirDael
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You can call it from DBPRO with : sync mask 2^1...
meaning 2 to the power of 1 .... you cannot use that syntax in C++ was all I meant from that... you can pass the values in different ways though..."

Wrong - Use dbSyncMask(1 << CamID);
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 00:00
Quote: "Wrong - Use dbSyncMask(1 << CamID); "

LOL,using a bit shift( 1 << 1 ) is the passing the same data to the command as is passed in dbpro using "2^1"(it will affect the same camera) ....

using a bit shift is passing the same data that would be passed with the ^ operator in dbpro. its just doing so in a different manner.

The command is the same in both languages, just to make that clear.... I was referring to the different between what "2^1" looks like and the bit shift "1 << 1" which will give you the same sync mask... obviously, they are 2 different ways of passing the same info to the same command

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:34:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:34:45