Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Multisync and MySQL

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 11:31 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 11:53
Hello there,

I have a big confusion on using Multisync as the server and MySQL as the database server.

In the login screen in the client side, I made a direct connection from the client to the MySQL server to check whether the entered username and password is valid or not. I also stored my MySQL username and password in the client, in order to connect to the sql server. Is it safe to do so?

Is it possible for the client to request a login validation to the server (so that the server will check for the login and returns a response)?

Something like

Perhaps?

Recently I was thinking of hosting an apache server along with the sql server, and validate the login through web request using libcurl.

Any kind of help would be appreciated

Thanks.

note: I'm new to Multisync, so don't bother me
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 12:58 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 13:04
Quote: "stored my MySQL username and password in the client, in order to connect to the sql server. Is it safe to do so?"

Safety has many levels and it's up to you to decide what is "safe enough" for your application. What is good for a game, is not good for managing your bank account. Really, you need to consider the purpose of the program and how great damage (if any) others can do if they get access in your name.

Quote: "Is it possible for the client to request a login validation to the server (so that the server will check for the login and returns a response)?"

If you are connecting to a MySQL server, then it is always the MySQL server that validates the login. If MySQL is running on another machine than the client, then the login data will be sent over the network. (I haven't used Multisync but I have used MySQL connections over the network with Apache+PHP.)

EDIT: How you implement the login system is again dependent on the purpose of the program, if it will have several users or just you, etc.
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 13:22 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 13:22
Do not ever allow clients to directly connect to your database. If its on their computer, they'll find a way.

In fact, if it's stored as a string, all they have to do is open the .exe in Notepad or something.
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do not ever allow clients to directly connect to your database. If its on their computer, they'll find a way.

In fact, if it's stored as a string, all they have to do is open the .exe in Notepad or something. "

Take that advice. That is one of the best pieces of advice I have heard in a long time. Think that ALL of your clients are trying to hack your database

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 16:26
Yay, I feel helpful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:49:01
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:49:01