Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Will the nVidia GeForce GTS 250 work well with Dark Physics?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 18:47 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 18:57
I got Dark Physics not long ago, but I don't have a PhysX enabled GPU and so fluids won't work at all, and most of the more demanding demos like "PhysX Island" or "PhysX Museum" have rather low frame rates (like, 10fps on a good day). So, I'm after a new and much better graphics card.

I'm thinking of an nVidia GeForce GTS 250. I was just wondering if anyone had used it, how good it had been, and if it a) had a PhysX chip on it, and b) if not, could it still handle all the features including fluids?

I've also considered the nVidia GeForce 9800GT, but I was told that is a little older and not as powerful as the GTS250. So, any comments or opinions would be much appreciated - I really want to be able to use the full power of Dark Physics, and especially the fluids!

[Edit] Just been reading around about fluids, and it seems there have been some trouble using them. Will upgrading to Windows Vista and DirectX 10 pose any problems with Dark Physics?

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 19:17 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 19:18
Quote: " Just been reading around about fluids, and it seems there have been some trouble using them. Will upgrading to Windows Vista and DirectX 10 pose any problems with Dark Physics?"

DirectX 10 not need to make Darkbasic or DarkPhysX to work as it not used by them. Only DirectX 9.0c oct is used to make it work.

As for the card I would have thought that any with the PhysX chip on it should work ok.

I think on here somewhere is what Lee has on his system that it work with.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Robert The Robot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 19:25 Edited at: 25th Jul 2009 19:26
Yes, but I'm upgrading to Vista so I'll get DX10 automatically, and I'm not sure if I can then install DX 9 without losing DX10 (I'm interested in fpsc x10, so I will need DX10 on the computer). So can I have DX10 and still run DBPro and Dark Physics?

Quote: "As for the card I would have thought that any with the PhysX chip on it should work ok."

That's partly what I'm asking - the card does say "PhysX enabled" but I've heard that GPU's are becoming so powerful they can handle all the PhysX without the need for a dedicated chip. I don't know quite what to make of this, hence I asked if it actually did have a PhysX chip?

"I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive. I'd fly you round the universe, in Fireball XL5..."
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2009 21:39
Directx10 and DirectX9 live side-by-side on vista. But ffs, win7 comes out in 2 months, I'd buy that instead You can use the win7 RC in the mean time, which works really well for me.

A gts250 is pretty fast, and would handle any of the dbp physx demos just fine.

Darkowen
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using a GTX 260 and it works amazingly for Darkbasic Dark physics and pretty much everything for my pc! Though the 250 is a step down im sure there isnt a large difference.

Download the Roshi kart beta at http://www.evilpigeon.co.uk

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 11:19:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 11:19:11