Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / 2 Model/Texture related questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2009 19:44
Hi!
Question 1: I made a model then unwrapped it then textured it. In Milkshape 3D it looks just how I want it to look, but in DarkGDK some parts of the texture are stretched out making lines go up the model (This happens at the seams of the texture).

Question 2: My model (same model as above question) looks how it should, but the lighting is weird so that all different parts of the body blend in with each other. So could this be fixed by programming or should I just overlay a texture that already has shadows on the body on top of my current texture?

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 03:52
Its usually a good idea to "bake" your textures when you render them so that they have some representation of lighting and depth(for skin and folds in cloth, that kind of thing).

It sounds to me like the UV data on your model isnt being exported or loaded into GDK properly.

You could try using different unwrap techniques, and see what effect that has on how it loads into GDK to see if it will make a difference or not...

About your second question, can you post a screeny, I cant really tell what you mean by "the lighting is weird so that all different parts of the body blend in with each other" - is it the texture that is affected by the blending or the vertices of the model being skewed ?

Try turning on wireframe mode inside GDK and check if your model "looks" right, like there are no obvious vertex anomolies.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 04:01
Well the 2nd problem is fixed but I'm still working on the first one. But now I have a question on baking my texture. I already did one and it looked good but it doesn't go with the lighting. The problem is, is that the back of the model is dark and the front is lit up and this doesn't look right when it's in a room with real time lights. So do you know how to correctly bake a texture using 3ds Max 2010?

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 04:56
I cant tell you exactly the procedure in max2010 sorry..

but I can tell you basically what you want to do though :

What you need is to have have multiple lights placed around your model in the max, then move you camera around the model to make sure that it looks how you want it to...

The idea is to get an even but subtle lighting, you dont want to be applying really dark shadows as it will not look right in a game when its lit.

Use directional lighting, rather than point or spot lighting. set multiple directional lights, I usually use 3-4 depending on the look of the model and exactly what it is. Space the lights evenly around your model and set their direction to be pointing to the model.

What you want to avoid, is obvious shadows that are cast, for example, like if a person's arm is over their chest, you dont want the shadow to be cast.(thats part of the reason the da-vinci pose is used when modelling bipeds, the rest is that it makes mesh deformation easier to handle around places like under the arms and between the legs)

The look you are going for is just, for example, to have a slightly darker skin tone around the neck and under the chin, the armpits should be slightly darker and the top of the shoulder slightly lighter, folds of cloth should not show actual solid shadows, but should be shaded, so that their depth easily apparent.
It will take you awhile playing with light settings and positions to get it to look how you like.

For specific MAX instruction, im sure you should be able to piece together what ive said using the MAX help files, they are quite good.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 05:35
Ok thanks! I have done some texture baking just to see exactly what it was and whenever I saved the texture it saved a file for each individual object on my model (the head, arms, legs, etc.) I tried searching the internet but I can't find anything, so do you know if it's possible to bake the texture to one file and not multiple? Thanks again!

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 06:05 Edited at: 28th Jul 2009 06:10
hmm, the only way that I know of doing that is kind of a workaround, and is part of the way I model in 3D packages for games... and that is to make it all "one mesh" after you have your texture UV's setup.... there should be a command to combine all the meshes into 1, and remove the poly's that arent needed anymore.

The other way around it is to use one large texture, that you have manually placed all of the little ones onto, similar to a texture atlas, and offset the UV to apply the correct one to your model, I would do this in max, so that when you export it, the uv's are done and you dont need to worry about altering them in GDK, Max has visual tools to help you place and manipulate textures.

Otherwise, you can leave it as it is, and I guess it will load into GDK as a limbed object(i cant confirm that though), to which you should be able to load your textures individually and use dbTextureLimb... (if it doesnt load them automatically)

EDIT : There is another way I just thought of to get 1 large texure, and that is to apply all of your small ones as normal and setup the way they look, then combine you mesh into 1 mesh, and unwrap the model..there should be an option to render its textures into one file somewhere inside max, i know there is in softimage XSI which i use a fair bit, but i cant say for sure in max, i dont know it well enough( i would have to guess there would be though, its a standard kind of thing to do)

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2009 06:17
Ok thanks for the ideas! I'll look around Max a bit to try to find the option.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:40:32
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:40:32