Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 03:48
IMHO FSPC lacks an editor still retaining the concept of map divided into cells, but dropping the 'room' concept and allowing the creation of room by assembling single components: floor, walls, corners and ceiling.

It's true that with current editor you can paint only foor and/or walls, but often the editor keep memory of the room type and painting by single item is nearly impossible or very difficult.

I would trade off the room building facility with a greater flexibility

You can create segments representing single room components and then use them in overlay mode; that is ok but you can't perform CSG operations on them so no doors/windows/holes can be punched in them

So I got this idea

a) create a set of single room components (walls, floors, ...)
b) use the map editor assembling single components
c) save the map
d) use a tool that from the map create a new one, building non overlay segments from single components
e) load the new map and build game from the new game

For example:
before
- in cell(0,0,0) build a floor, and a north wall: 2 overlay segments

after
- in cell(0,0,0) have a single non overlay segments create on the fly by the tools with meshes combined

Whenever you need to change the map you can always use the original map and then use again the mapper tool

Pro: greater flexibility in drawing level

Con: extend game creation flow and testing time

Any comments?
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 04:14
Well, I see your point, but wouldn't taking a little time to build both individual segment and room segments where needed be easier than rebuilding the editor. By default, the editor is as simple as possible. That's the draw for beginners. As we progress, we realize we must be more creative, and creating room entities, individual and full room segments is a big part of that. Unless you're just building with the prefabs, it's almost a must to get the design/layout you want.

Brian.

Lizzie Borden took an axe and gave her mother forty whacks.

fpsFREE - Contact Me
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont really understand what you are trying to say, and i didnt read it all. But sometimes i make a entirely level in a modeling software, and then texture it and export it for fpsc.

--- Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it. ---

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 21:19:43
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 21:19:43