Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK created games refuse to run.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using Windows xp Professional edition with Visual Studio 2008 C++ and Dark GDK but when I compile the program in VS it works great but when I run the program outside of VS it just sits on a black screen with no errors.

This bug was tested with the simple included 2D game wizard that comes with Dark GDK.

Is this a problem with Windows or what is going on here???

Learning takes one baby step at a time.
Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2009 20:34
Did you make sure the media files were in the same relative path to the .exe as they were to the project file?

David2010
Years of Service
User Offline
GAH what a stupid mistake on my part.

Yeah thats why it didn't work.

Why doesn't it automatically put the resources in the same file as the executable???

Whatever I got it fixed. Thanks

Learning takes one baby step at a time.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 03:36
It puts them in different directories because it is usual to have both a debug EXE and a release EXE while you are working on your project, so it puts them in those folders so they dont interfere with each other. And also to keep all of the manifest files and "junk" files that are generated by the linker from cluttering your project folder, and interferring with each other between debug and release compiles.

You can change where it puts the executable it generates by altering the project settings. But I find it easier to just move the file one level down from where it generates(which is the default) so it can find the media.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:42:18
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:42:18