Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Loading models exported from Blender?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm using Blender to make all my models I use in DarkGDK, and its been very frustrating. Whenever I export my model into .x or .3ds something always goes wrong. Whether the textures get screwed up (not missing, just screwed up), or the model doesn't even load, or it just flat out crashes the program when I run it. What's going on here? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

For the record whenever I export into a .x file I'm pretty sure I use the right settings. I set it to the left-handed system and I flip the X and Y axis so that Y is up and down. Also, when ever I try to load .3DS files, assuming they do load, they always take significantly longer than .x files. Is that just how .3DS is?
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 08:38
.3ds has always been slow, so .x or .dbo are the preferred choices. I've been successfully able to get .x models into DGDK from blender, though I have not tried with textures, so I cannot help you there.

A problem with your textures may be if they are 24-bit versus 32-bit bitmap textures. Try saving them in both, and see if one works over the other(this is just a hunch).

Hope that helps.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
(Formerly Yellow)
Bubzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2009 08:43 Edited at: 1st Aug 2009 20:46
you could try opening your .x model file in notepad and looking for lines similar to this

Material Material_0 {
1.000000; 1.000000; 1.000000;1.0;;
0.500000;
0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000;;
0.0; 0.0; 0.0;;
TextureFilename {
"Treeagain_3.jpg";

and then changing the text within the quotation marks to the names of your textures, then just make sure they are in the same folder.
hope this helps.

Edit : sorry i didnt really read your post properly did i? sorry, i dont know much about the 3ds format, but yes they did seem to take longer when i was using darkgdk

void void void void void void void
Stucky
Years of Service
User Offline
You guys are sort of missing the point of this thread. When I export models into a .x format with Blender they're not loading period. They won't load in Dark GDK, and they won't load in DirectX Viewer. I've made multiple exports of the same model with different settings and still nothing will load.
Bubzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 02:18
at the risk of sounding like a complete tool, it may be a problem with your copy of blender. maybe check the blender forums too. im a total noob with 3d and my version of blender exports .x files no problem. as an additional thought, perhaps there is a problem with your DirectX SDK installation?

void Void(void){(for i = 0; i < i+1; i++){cout<<"bubzy rules "};}
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 05:31
I have to agree with Stucky.
I have NEVER been able to create a working textured *.X file with Blender (have tried a few versions).

Finally went over to this model creator.
http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/
obviously I have a misfit brain.

Its layout and functionality actually makes sense to the way I think.
With it I export everything to *.obj format. Then I use "AccuTrans3D" to convert from *.obj into *.X format. (in the later versions of DirectX SDK "eg: the November2008 version", there is also a "Meshconvert utility that can convert from *.obj into *.X) Things have worked out very well this way.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:35:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:35:09