Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Bit Shifting?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 08:11
I'm a real nitpick about memory consumption, I admit it.

I have a ton of information in a game I'm making, and the game is sectioned off into "cells". The game needs to store information about these cells.

Here's how I envision it working:
Variable 1 - Consumes 1 bit
Variable 2 - Consumes 1 bit
Variable 3 - Consumes 3 bits
Variable 4 - Consumes 3 bits
Variables 5-7 - Consume 8 bits each
Variables 8 & 9 - Consume 1 bit each

Alright, I'm slightly over 4 bytes there.. I want to constrict all of this into as little memory as possible because there will be potentially many thousands of cells that need their information stored. And I would really not like it if the saved files took up megabytes.

So, what I'm wondering about here... is how would I go about storing this information? According to help files, even the bool data type takes up a byte of memory (which doesn't make sense to me... but whatever)

I suppose I could manually flip each bit on considering each cell is only comprised of 26 bits, but that would be a hassle to accomplish.

Is there a method of bit shifting I could use here to move each variable into position and then simply OR them all together into a single value to be stored in memory?

Some example code would be appreciated if possible.

The one and only,

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 08:33
Actually there is a way to do bit packing but I believe you need to use a struct.

http://cplus.about.com/od/learningc/ss/lowlevel_10.htm

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 09:12
Hey, thanks, that was pretty informative!

I wouldn't have thought to search for "bit packing" I did a search for "bit shifting" and found what I wanted.

I'm not sure how useful that method of packing would work in this application, though.. these variables are strewn throughout the program and only come together when written/read to/from a file.

But thinking about it now.... it may be cleaner code in the long run to whipe everything I've done and define the cells as an array of a struct type designed that way.

.... gah -- my mind is all messed up now because of the complexity of what I'm trying to make!! I can't even think of how to properly organize my code anymore!!! It took me 4 hours to get a set of stairs properly created and rotated!

Thanks very much for the assistance, though, I'll definitely look into it.

The one and only,

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 09:53
Correct me here if my math is wrong, but this is what I came up with trying to determine worst case scenario of storage for this game.

Let's say I made a cube that is made up of the cells within this game. This cube is 256x256x256 cells in size.

From my original post... each cell will consume 5 bytes of data.

256x256x256 = 16777216 cells
16777216 * 5 = 83886080 bytes
83886080 / 1024 / 1024 = 80 MegaBytes

80 MEGABYTES to store a cube of size 256?!? Is that correct?? Please tell me I messed up someone in there

The one and only,

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 11:29
Looks right to me You may need to lower the resolution of the cells.

Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 11:45
I think your maths is correct. Boolean type is one byte because it is faster that way. I would argue that there is little point in converting everything to be so memory efficient; its not worth the hassle. Instead you could just use a compression library to compress saved files; it will do all this hard work for you.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 20:48
The boolean type is 1 byte, because the smallest chunk of memory you can reference using a pointer is 1 byte. To keep a reference to a single bit, you would need a second value indicating the index of the bit inside the byte, and that would mess up everything

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 08:41:02
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 08:41:02