Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Random Dungeon Generator

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 15:51 Edited at: 26th Sep 2009 09:15
I'm working on a dungeon crawl game in DBPro, and I made this program to generate random rooms. You can unzip the file into your projects folder, and there is a readme with basic details.

The program fills up the area pretty good, but occasionally leaves a few orphaned squares. If anyone has some simple code that will fix this, I would be happy to include your name in my game credits. I'll have the game up in WiP sometime this week.

Rich

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2009 04:01
I don't know about "simple code" but a simple flood-fill will tell you if the level is all connected. It doesn't have to be a recursive fill, a linear (line) fill algorithm would work just fine. There might be some code snippets for it.

I'm not a real programmer but I play one with DBPro!
Woolsheep
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

nice to see that you working on the same project like me

Try http://blog.kromatyk.fr/wp-content/random-dungeon-design.pdf for Dungeon Creation
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 19:29 Edited at: 26th Sep 2009 09:15
Hi Woolsheep,

That's a great document, lots of info and resources! Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Plotinus
Years of Service
User Offline
There are a lot of corridors that don't lead anywhere. I can imagine that would be really annoying to a player after a while. I remember in Moria and related games corridors always lead into a room or another corridor. That's also problematic because it means that if you reach a dead end, you know for certain that there must be a secret door. I wonder if a happy medium is possible, where dead ends exist but are rarer?
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 09:32
Plotinus,

Quote: "There are a lot of corridors that don't lead anywhere. I can imagine that would be really annoying to a player after a while. I remember in Moria and related games corridors always lead into a room or another corridor. That's also problematic because it means that if you reach a dead end, you know for certain that there must be a secret door. I wonder if a happy medium is possible, where dead ends exist but are rarer?"

For my Quickhack game, I've made a few improvements in the maze generating code. Dead end corridors now lead to a loot drop, so the player has an incentive to explore every nook and cranny. But... the corridor might be trapped.

Hey, in the WIP thread for Quickhack, you mentioned Apollo Maximus for Poser. WOW! That is a great figure. Thank you for the tip!

Rich

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 11:12
@ Rich,

I think you might find the ZParticle plugin v handy:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=111357&b=5

... it helped me at the time with 'noxious gases' so to speak.

Also, perhaps you will find the new image plugin (still WIP) extremely helpful in placing dirt, vines, holes, damage, keyholes, pressure pads etc on objects:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158832&b=8

This project is looking really promising. I recall a forum member - Hobgoblin Lord - was working on something like this a few years back but like so many projects (most of mine included!) it faded away before completion - or if it didnt, it didnt make it's way back to the forum....

So the very best of luck with this project - hopefully the above links and plugins are going to help...?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 11:37
Duffer,

Quote: "I think you might find the ZParticle plugin v handy:-"

That looks really cool, I will certainly check it out!

Quote: "Also, perhaps you will find the new image plugin (still WIP) extremely helpful "

Yah, I've been looking at that, also very cool. My first thought was "directly change alpha channels? Oh YES!".

Thanks for the tips. I'm really determined to complete this game, after all, I want to play it too!

Rich

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 12:06
@ Rich,

No worries. From memory the ZParticle plugin was limited to the one camera I think. Nevertheless, v useful. Although the poison gas on the doors of your dungeon is perfectly good.

As a historic footnote, here is the link to Hogoblin Lord's 2006-7 rpg project:-

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=8&t=73324&p=0

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2009 14:57
Amazing (pun intended)

The byte chrunchers are coming...
Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 17:27
Quote: "Amazing (pun intended) "

LOL!!! <Groan!>

Hey Rich, your game reminds me of a game I played back in the early nineties called "Ultima Underworld" by Looking Glass Productions (I think that's correct) and Orion. It was my favorite game of all time. I'd like to check it out sometime.

Steele

http://www.lanningsoftware.com
Your source for Games and Entertainment
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 19:07
@Steele - Hey thanks! You can download the game (still under construction) at my site, just click my sig graphic. I'll be uploading a new version this weekend - one where you can actually do combat with the mobs! Woot!

There's also a thread about Quickhack in the WIP area.

Rich

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 02:51 Edited at: 30th Oct 2009 03:06
I had almost forgotten this thread but it inspired me to think of making my own little version of Ultima Underworld for the fun of it.

I got an error running the WIP version: Runtime Error 3002 - Could not load sound at line 1158. I'll look at the rest of the website to get a feel of what you are doing.

And if you need a database for your inventory system... ahem. (J/K but I couldn't resist! LOL!!!)

Steele

P.S. I attached a picture I found of the seventeen year-old game.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 03:11
Quote: "P.S. I attached a picture I found of the seventeen year-old game."

LOL! That is exactly the kind of game I'm working on! Except for the randomness of the dungeon, ala Dungeon Hack.

And I've purchased Dark Data - I'm sure if I need a db, that will have me covered.

The "could not load sound" error seems to pop up for folks at random, some get the error, some don't. I don't have a clue why.

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 03:33
Bizarre. Is there anything hardcoded with regard to the drive? I downloaded Quickhack onto my I: drive.

I remember you making the purchase. I'm just nudging a little.

Will the dungeon have ramps or slopes?

Steele

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 04:17
Quote: "Bizarre. Is there anything hardcoded with regard to the drive? I downloaded Quickhack onto my I: drive."

Nope, the sounds are all loaded from the \media\ folder in my project folder, they are all saved with the .exe, and when I test the .exe on a computer without DBPro installed, it runs fine. Except that for some people, the sound cannot be loaded. For the next upload (soon!) I will have the code check that each sound exists before it attempts to play the sound. That is a big waste of code, I know, but whatever it takes to make the game run.

Quote: "Will the dungeon have ramps or slopes?"

Not planning on any. Nor stairs, either. I plan to have a trapdoor on each level, that when used sends the player to the next level down. I haven't decided if the player can go back up, but I'm thinking not - once you leave a level, you can't go back. That will make level management a lot simpler

Steele
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2009 05:20 Edited at: 30th Oct 2009 05:20
Simple is good. Besides, falling through a trap door shouldn't be easy to get out of anyway. It wouldn't be much of a trap.

Steele

Hobgoblin Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 10:00
see Duffer mention my name and I wander by.

Rich you might want to check out Jamis Buck's dungeon generator.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/generate_dungeon.php

I know the source code was available online somewhere but he did a great job of it.

as for my project Duffer 2 things happened. 1) one of the dbpro updates killed a bunch of my code and at the same time I started a job that required primarily Flash (and alot of hours) so I fell out of the loop in dbpro coding wise. I have slowly been converting it to Flash however in my spare time (which I have very little of)

http://Flashsalsa.com
New Game site
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 13:49
@ Hobgoblin Lord,

No real criticism of you. Know what you mean about spare time. If you ever get the Flash version off the ground, copy the link over to us...

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 21:14
Quote: "Rich you might want to check out Jamis Buck's dungeon generator."

That's a neat piece of work, thanks for the tip.

I'm still plugging away at Quickhack, it's becoming more of an actual game. A few more tweaks and I'll post an updated version in WIP.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 13:47:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 13:47:49