Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / New DarkGDK Textbook!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Found this book while looking for DarkBASIC Pro books:

Starting Out with Games and Graphics in C++ (Paperback)
by Tony Gaddis

Steep price, $105.00, $94.50 on Amazon.

Seems to be a textbook based on the DarkGDK. I went to this site where there are sample chapters available:

http://www.aw-bc.com/gaddis/

I ordered it after looking at the chapters.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 15:04
I believe that book is advertised through the DarkGDK page at thegamecreators.com aswell.

That price does sound steep... perhaps an exchange rate thing, or tax or something...

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 21:53 Edited at: 4th Aug 2009 21:54
Hi

I picked up my copy of 'Staring Out with Games & Graphics' by Tony Gaddis today.

The book is really a programming guide on C++ but using the Dark GDK in all the examples to make simple 2D games. If this is what you need ie a simple way of getting into Dark programming with C++ then the book is essential reading. As I have to teach this stuff, I found it very suitable as a quick way of getting up to speed.

What Tony needs to do now, is write another book covering the 3D side of Dark GDK.

The book is expensive but if you consider that Dark GDK is free, then its not so bad. It is a very high quality book. If you are a teacher/lecturer, you can register with Pearsons and get additional code.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 23:43
My major concerns with Dark GDK have to do with the things that they don't tell you, like using dbStr () allocates memory and it's the programmer's responsibility to de-allocate it when it's no longer needed. I need to know the background information, above and beyond what the documentation says. Otherwise, as a Dark GDK reference it wouldn't be much good. And the C++ part of it would be boring for me at this point.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Amnzero
Years of Service
User Offline
I wonder when they are going to update the GDK again. I can think of a few things that need it.

A) it should be installable for all versions of Visual Studio, not just the express ones.

B) The documentation is a joke. Some of the pages are missing, others link to other functions. Some of the descriptions of the functions are completely inaccurate.

The documentation thing is what really grinds my gears. You think they would at least try to present the basic information reasonably, but than again if you are going to spend $100 on a book...

[ Amnzero ]
Kaboooom2000uk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 10:03
If anyone has actualy got it, Does it come with a reference section for the code?

DarkGDK has some documentation regarding the code but while helpfull, its a bit vauge in some areas, but if if has a much more expanded and explained version, Id certainly pay for it.
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 14:28
Hi Kab'uk

The book does not have a code reference. It also does not cover ANY 3D material What it is however, is an excellent C++ book using Dark GDK in every example. Most examples are graphical. If you want to use GDK for 2D games, this would be a good place to start. If you are already a master of C++, it's probably not a good investment.
Kaboooom2000uk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 22:46
Oh thanks Luxgud, I was very curious, Id love to find some complete technical reference book for the codes, with a longer explanation of the code and some examples of use. as some in the reference book that comes with darkGDK are a bit vague, and dont have many situational useage examples, it just says what the figure is and the number of arguments. Id like to see some practical uses of each line of code, and possibly some advanced uses too.

Im guessing that the DarkGDK is designed to be used in conjuntion with C++ commands, or does DarkGDK replace it with newer commands that are unique to DarkGDK? Sorry if this sounds completely amature but Id like to be certain of what is going on.

again thanks.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 14:06
Quote: "Im guessing that the DarkGDK is designed to be used in conjuntion with C++ commands, or does DarkGDK replace it with newer commands that are unique to DarkGDK?"

C++ is a computer programming language unto itself as you know. DarkGDK isnt a language but is a library of functions that is designed to be used with the C++ programming language, you need to know at least basic C++ to be able to use DarkGDK. DarkGDK essentially wraps up a bunch of DirectX objects and functions and native windows functions into an easy to use set of user callable functions, often wrapping many complex native commands into a few or even single GDK commands.

Some native c++ commands are "wrapped" into DarkGDK .. these include some maths commands, such a sqrt() in GDK its equiv is dbSqrt() and some c-string functions and system functions for input etc, both are functionally the same, though the argument can be made that because those kinds of functions are wrapped, its generally more efficient to use the native commands if you know them.

In reality though, unless what you are doing is massively cpu intensive, you are unlikely to notice a difference, and the GDK commands are generally easier to use at least until you learn to use the native cpp ones...

Hope this answers you question

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
MFC Coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I got the book on the 5th, and read it and entered the code listings and worked through the exercises. My overall take on this book is this. I am a C++ programmer kinda new to DarkBASIC Pro and new to DarkGDK.

DarkGDK coverage
================
This book contained almost everything I was expecting learn about DarkGDK. Given the sad state of the documentation at hand (the .chm file especially), it answered alot of questions I had about using the various db functions. It definately jumpstarted my ability to apply what I am learning in DBPro to DarkGDK. So for me personally, this aspect of the book made it, well, not fully worth the price tag, let's say justified the purchase.

C++ coverage
============
This aspect leaves much to be desired. The book is 12 chapters long. You don't get to Arrays until chapter 10, and Strings and Files in chapter 11. So you pretty much learn the basics of procedural C using C++ for the first 11 chapters, since the strings in chapter 11 you cover are char arrays! A little ways into chapter 11 there is a section called, "Using Standard C++ Library Functions to Work with Strings." Here you learn the C string functions, ie. strlen, strcat, etc. You need to learn this since you are learning char arrays here, but you are instructed to #include <string.h> instead of the C++ <cstring>. So much for namespacing. References are only mentioned in function calls, pass by reference, and nowhere in the book are pointers discussed. Pointers are not even in the index. I don't know about you but I say they should drop $50 off the price tag for this, specifically for beginners new to C++ and the book's advertising does say "Learn C++", even on the back cover!

So, to existing C++ programmers completely new to DarkGDK, this book will suit you well, you can pretty much focus on the DarkGDK aspect.

To programmers wanting to learn C++, I would suggest a C++ book either before or after this book. This book pretty much teaches you what you will find in the first 4-5 chapters of the more popular beginner books. I would suggest "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming - Second Edition." It is not a "Game Programming" book, but rather a pretty good C++ beginner book that uses game analogies to get the point across, ie. Players and Enemies rather than Teachers and Students, Character Profiles rather than Employee records. And it uses Standard C++ from the modern perspective from the beginning, std::string, containers, etc.

Anyway, this is my personal opinion. Gonna put this review on amazon, and give the book 3 stars. Hope this answers some of your questions.

MFC Coder

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:36:27
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:36:27