Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / multiplayer.lib(CNetwork.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _DPSPGUID_TCPIP referenced in function "public: int __thiscall CNetwork::SetNetConnections(int)...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I removed the August SDK and installed the November SDK with the intent to start writing updated code that was compatible with the latest conventions and security patches that compilers now support; hoping I could write code that was compatible with Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition... ...that\'s what it\'s supposed to let you do.

However, I don\'t see an easy way for the compiler to compile an object code for a library that\'s uninstalled... ...any reason why the Microsoft programmer feels that the code database should flow into the internet forum posts instead of tracking what libraries were removed with the updated SDK\'s and flag that there\'s supposed to be a replacement soon? Any reason why dplayx.lib was dropped?

I copied the dplayx.lib and put it into a separately included directory for the compiler to check called:

\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (Pending Updates)\\Lib\\\"

and one for dplay.h and dplay8.h called

\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (Pending Updates)\\Include\\\"

What do I need to add to the additional include and lib directories to clear up the multiplayer.obj code flaws?

I know I don't know everything - that's one of the things I'm sure of.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 15:12
You can just compile a dummy multiplayer.lib and drop it where the original one is(after you back it up of course).

Someone has a thread about specifically that, you should be able to find it with a couple of searches.

Of course, doing the above means that the multiplayer commands will not work and cannot be called at all(which isnt really a bad thing considering their age and apparent inefficiency(ive not used em, just what ive read) but there are a couple of plugins you can install to return multiplayer functionality to GDK,

either MultiSync - which is a free library of multiplayer networking commands designed towork with GDK
or
DarkNet - which is a commercial(gotta pay for it) plugin for DarkGDK, but it has more features and is more advanced than multisync.

As for copying libs from one version of DirectX SDK and trying to get them to compile in another, I dont think that will work. I could be wrong, but I thought that different versions of the SDK arent compatible with each other(from a point of view of including libs from say, august07 and march09 in the same project)

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 22:36
Here's the link:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=139830&b=22

I know that doesnt really answer your question. But, when one wants to keep up with the latest DirectX technology... that one outdated useless networking has-been called DirectPlay will indeed be a huge thorn in your side as proven on what you shown us that you are going through above. It is the ONLY reason why Dark GDK requires the outdated DirectX SDK. And with what Mista Wilson said there are capable up to date networking libraries out there where each one of them simply stomps DirectPlay into the mud hole it belongs. The in built multiplayer stuff needs to be made obsolete... period. Or, at least let us be able to compile Dark GDK with out that library that requires the outdated DirectX SDK DirectPlay $#!#. sry a bit of a rant there. Thank goodness we can at least hack the multiplayer.lib.

LFLFM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:23
I would like to second Todd on this one... what the heck is up with this thing!???

First I need to add a .lib thats been removed from DirectX 2 years ago, now I have to make a fake dummy lib, for it to match an outdated DirectX library...
Very, VERY frustrating first impression.

oh WAIT! I forgot... the first thing was actually having to manually add GDK support to Visual Studio'08 because the installer cant handle non-default installation paths or My Documents folder...
To the GDK developers, 2 words:
ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

Infact, Ill go ahead and give you them, so you dont even have to google:
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm

Now, "My Documents" may NOT be %userprofile%\My Documents because windows in different languages use their own texts (eg. "Meus Documentos" in portuguese) and also, in Vista/7 its now just called "Documents"; so here's where u get the my docs path:
REGISTRY:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Personal
in my case "D:\LFLFM\Documents"

http://lflfm.wordpress.com/
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."
LFLFM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:31
Problem 1: Dark GDK doesn't integrate with VS'08 unless everything is in the default paths (including my documents folder)... ok, lots a bit of time copying and editing files, adding lib paths to VS... DONE

Problem 2: Dark GDK asks for a .lib that's been removed from the DirectX SDK over 2 years ago.... downloaded the lib, problem solved

Problem 3: Dark GDK expects one of your lib's to be some old version and I need to replace it with a dummy, empty lib...

I have to say: "Very, VERY frustrating first impression so far".

By the way, GDK dev's, you can fix your installer not supporting non-default folders with ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES and specally this registry key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\

(particularly the entry "personal" which points to the documents folder (even if the user has moved it in vista or uses windows in non-english))

LFLFM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:32
Ok, this forum doesnt seem to work.... my posts don't show up!

LFLFM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 05:33
ops... just saw the new user message thinggy:
"Thank you for your post.
As a new member your post will NOT appear until we approve it - read this to find out why."

Please disregard this post + my previous 2 previous ones (but not the first!)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:24:22
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:24:22