Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [LOCKED] [X9] Dementia - Survival Horror

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 09:54 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 11:25

Dementia - Survival Horror
2009 Ultimate FPS Creator Contest Submission
Running with Project Blue UM V1.15

Release Date

Background
TBA

More to come. C&C welcome

Kravenwolf

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 10:01
Looks nice, but i dont see anything new...

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 10:03
"New" compared to what? I don't recall ever seeing an "Investigate" HUD in the other WIPs

Lookin' good. I'd like to see some more open rooms, though

The one and only,

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 10:05
Well, wasnt meaning to sound rude...

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 11:40
Looking great Kravenwolf! Is the "investigate" HUD a substitute for the "Press Enter to open" door HUD, or in this case, Is "investigate" a completely different function?.
Also, is the drug disorientation a photoshoped effect?, or is it achived by using the camshake and FOV commands.

Thanks

CoZ

-Demon Sun: Lead Developer-
Dead Man's Cradle: Lead Developer
SekoIdiootti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 12:00
Wow, looks really great!

My username is finnish, and it translated to english is: "CrazyIdiot" or something.
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 12:26
Quote: "Also, is the drug disorientation a photoshoped effect?, or is it achived by using the camshake and FOV commands."

Looks photoshopped to me. But I'm sure it could easily be achieved with a faded HUD overlay.

The one and only,

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 13:00 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 13:01
Well it looks good. The atmo is very good. But i dont see really anything new... Your lightmapping skillz are good. And very nice textures indeed. Your overall leveldesign is very good. But the only thing bothering me is that it is not THAT different from what i have seen.

EDIT1: I really like the red black huds though.

Keep it up though,

Red Eye

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 14:04
@Red Eye: Im going to sympethise with Kravenwolf here and say, That is his developing style, the same as I have mine. The reason it "looks the same" to some people is because to alter your developing style that you know, and have worked hard to perfect would create more consistantcy problems than just sticking to your style. So I say, Kravenwolf's style is not "samey", it's just consistant to a high standard.

CoZ

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 15:01
looks great bro -- keep up the awesome work

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 17:26 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 17:29
Quote: "@Red Eye: Im going to sympethise with Kravenwolf here and say, That is his developing style, the same as I have mine. The reason it "looks the same" to some people is because to alter your developing style that you know, and have worked hard to perfect would create more consistantcy problems than just sticking to your style. So I say, Kravenwolf's style is not "samey", it's just consistant to a high standard."

That is your opinion. I have my own. Keeping contanst to one style will only bring up the same thing, with some different maps. (like you) But making creating different styles will create a game with more depth and more to see. I have seen Kraven Wolf work, and i have seen many styles he uses. It is his choice to reapeat this style. It looks good, but just the same.

creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 18:33
@Red Eye:
Quote: "Keeping contanst to one style will only bring up the same thing, with some different maps. (like you)"

Fair enough, although to be honest, I have many different styles of development, but I only choose to show one style on this forum. And, if my style was so generic and "samey", then I wouldnt of achived my BOTB award. It's your opinion, but I must say, for us advanced users like Kravenwolf, myself and many others, Id say that FPSC is limiting our styles, not the other way around.

CoZ

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 18:53 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 18:56
Quote: "But i dont see really anything new... "

Quote: "
Looks nice, but i dont see anything new..."

Wow, not exactly what I was expecting What does everyone mean by that? I would have thought, considering the game uses all custom media and incorporates a sanity/hallucination system which, correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen on these boards before, it wouldn't be as repetitive as the other 9,999,999 WIPS on this board that somehow aren't considered repititious by using the same stock media and point and shoot actions. Or the 9,999,999 zombie WIPs

Kravenwolf

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 19:01 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 19:02
Quote: "9,999,999 zombie WIPs"
You're off by 2

But seriously , the game looks great. The whole Sanity meter thing sounds awesome, I'm looking forward to hearing how that works!
Don't listen to them, I like your style
Can't wait for some new screens!
Good luck to you in the contest!

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 19:11
Quote: "and incorporates a sanity/hallucination system which, correct me if I'm wrong, I've never seen on these boards before,"

*Cough* Vague *Cough*

But anyway. I don't get it why people keep whining. This game looks absolutely brilliant and unique and I'm really interested to see, how you're going to do the sanity and hallucination thing.

Best of luck with this Kravenwolf

Revelation leading to my psychosis and inspiration.
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 20:00
Looks awesome! The atmosphere is great. I think that they ment with nothing new, that it looks like Nazi zombies or something... I don't know. But to me it looks great. You're not putting cash system in this, are you? Cuz that's kinda the only thing I disliked Nazi Zombies. But my opinion. I hate vents too, so I'm a bit weird.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 20:48
Sent an e-maiil to you guys. Well it was sent to you but for both of you

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 20:50 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 21:11
@Metal Devil, the cash system will not be in this game. I don't want to take anything away from the psychological effects of this game, and the cash system would be too 'arcadey' to impliment into a survival horror title to me.

@And thanks to everyone else for all of the feedback and critisim. I can see that my 'style' is reflected in this work as well as all of my other posts, but that is because it is my style. I can't mimic, nor would I want to, imitate anyone elses. A person's 'style', shouldn't be what differentiates a game title from one specific developer. You should be looking at the concept behind the storyline, the gameplay, and the unique scenery and level design behind each title. Their 'style' is what carries their recognition.

@COZ, thanks for the support, and thanks for the shader.

Quote: "Sent an e-maiil to you guys. "

Replied.

Kravenwolf

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 21:36
Damn, that investigating thing was gonna be in my game too, oh well, I will still keep it in. I think this looks great! Awesome work guys!

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 22:02 Edited at: 7th Aug 2009 22:37
Quote: "Fair enough, although to be honest, I have many different styles of development, but I only choose to show one style on this forum. And, if my style was so generic and "samey", then I wouldnt of achived my BOTB award. It's your opinion, but I must say, for us advanced users like Kravenwolf, myself and many others, Id say that FPSC is limiting our styles, not the other way around."

I think that BOTB is giving to fast anyway, and nowadays that doesnt mean anything anymore. (But that again, IMO)
And great users like Paul112 or Rolfy and others that try to do different styles in FPSC (including myself), proof that this quote:

Quote: "Id say that FPSC is limiting our styles, not the other way around."

...is totally wrong.

I do think that is great what KravenWolf is doing just the same.

All the best,

Red Eye

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 23:14
This looks like an amazing game, good light mapping. Keep it up. Gonna be expecting lots of custom media.
By the way, is the investigate function something new?
-Adrian

I love Taylor Swift. If I love you as much as I love Taylor, then you're one in a billion, very very special.
Maskote
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2009 23:51
Damn! I just love your project picture so much!

Amazing work, can't wait to see more

PS: Is this game gonna be mostly black and white?

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 03:36 Edited at: 8th Aug 2009 03:36
Quote: "By the way, is the investigate function something new?"

This is the first time I've shown it in a WIP, but I can't imagine it being an orginal function (I myself, took the idea from Resident Evil ).

Kravenwolf

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 04:13
Quote: "This is the first time I've shown it in a WIP, but I can't imagine it being an orginal function (I myself, took the idea from Resident Evil ). "

Haha, yeah, but Resident Evil is "check".
Hey, is this "investigate" button like a trigger to trigger a hud or a sound?
-Adrian

I love Taylor Swift. If I love you as much as I love Taylor, then you're one in a billion, very very special.
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 04:45
i think what we're all asking here is it another way of saying "use" to open doors and such? Or is there some kind of special thing that happens when you investigate something? Looks great though, I like the bar and ever since I've first seen your work I've loved your style. Good luck in the competition!

dark peanut

Check out my Ultimate Competition Entry here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153854&b=25 Ultimatum: The Final Deadline

alimpo83
Years of Service
User Offline
It looks very nice.

And I agree it's Kravenwolf's style of game. He likes to make games like these, dark and atmospheric. It's his style!

And besides, he produces (for me at least) the closest to commercial quality FPSC-produced games.

Keep up the great work.

Alien and Wrecked Building Packs here: http://www.freewebs.com/alimpo83
Butt monkey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 17:06
Quote: "Well it looks good. The atmo is very good. But i dont see really anything new... Your lightmapping skillz are good. And very nice textures indeed. Your overall leveldesign is very good. But the only thing bothering me is that it is not THAT different from what i have seen.
"

I can see exactly what you mean. While the game looks great, it looks exactly like Asylum which you showed us a while back. However, I am guessing as this is your Ultimate FPS submission that it is basically STILL asylum.

Are you planning on adding any other colours into the game? Because at the moment I could see constant black and grey getting quite repetitive.
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 19:09 Edited at: 8th Aug 2009 19:33
@ alimpo83, thanks

@ Butt Monkey, yes, this game takes place in an abandoned Asylum.

Kravenwolf

DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2009 23:52
Looks lovely keep it up.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 03:12

Kravenwolf

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 03:16
One question: Those fading effects are made in photoshop/gimp/whatever right?? Or are they part of that sanity bar or what? New screens look nice. Once again good luck!

dark peanut

Check out my Ultimate Competition Entry here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153854&b=25 Ultimatum: The Final Deadline

john schwarcz
User Banned
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 06:16
lol no time, this describes my feelings

shadow666
Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2009 09:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58yQ25P-HI

Some Of the Sound Effects I Have Produced Exclusively for KravenWolfs Project

rakker126
Years of Service
User Offline
What settings dit you do in setup ini and global scipt? Looking great!

Now in the W.I.P. forum: operation sunlight
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149451&b=25
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 04:07
How's the project comin' Kraven? It looks incredible so far, definitely curious to see what's coming next
And those sound fx, geez...I listened to them right before I went to bed...not smart
Your game must be crazy scary man!

-Cheers

Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 20:34
I love how people immediately turned this thread into a debate.

I personally think the game looks cool, although the claim that it's all custom media isn't true (that zombie in the first two screens wasn't made by you).

I also agree that BotB's are given out too easily.

Though I'm sure we all agree that Wehtam_ definitely deserves both of his.

Cheese Cake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 20:44
Game looks mighty fine man! Cant wait to see more screens.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 21:48 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 21:49
Quote: "I love how people immediately turned this thread into a debate."

It was rather disappointing to share a WIP expecting constructive critisism to make the game better, only to come back and find the game is 'nothing new', and to hear why BOTB awards are being handed out so easily. Next time, I believe I will post a WIP with nothing but stock WWII media so it will be considered original.

So, it goes without saying that I requested this thread to be locked.

Kravenwolf

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 21:54
I think it looks awesome Kravenwolf. And besides, people have stopped arguing. I saw your youtube video of it, and the investigate function is interesting.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 22:30 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 22:32
Quote: "Next time, I believe I will post a WIP with nothing but stock WWII media so it will be considered original."

I am actually curious on how this will turn out.

Quote: " BOTB awards are being handed out so easily"

Not saying that some people dont deserve it, take Wehtam_, he did a awesome job on getting EVERYTHING ORIGINAL but the whole funny thing about it is, he used STOCK. So take your words carefull.

Anyway, keep this up. I believe you make a great chance in the contest.

EDIT: Did you made that effect with a shader (hallucination thing), i use a custom full screen shader for that? I understand if you dont want to share...

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 23:01 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 23:05
Edit: Nevermind. Just...nevermind

Kravenwolf

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 23:19
You sure seem to do that alot Kraven. Make a post, then edit it almost immediately.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 23:31 Edited at: 10th Aug 2009 23:39
Quote: "You sure seem to do that alot Kraven. Make a post, then edit it almost immediately."

Because there's really no point to carry on something so irrelevant any further. It's best just to let some things go. This thread has become a large discussion about the BOTB award, and what makes other people's games unique, and every other thing aside from talking about the WIP itself. Though it is disappointing that people felt the need to go that route, you live and you learn. I will keep working on this project, but it will not be showcased again

Kravenwolf

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 23:48 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 00:24
But the project looks so cool
I wanted to know how the sanity meter plays in

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 00:02 Edited at: 11th Aug 2009 00:03
We were only giving our opinion...

Quote: "This thread has become a large discussion about the BOTB award..."

I said one phrase, and alot of people turn it to a large discussion as you claim it to be. /:

Quote: " and what makes other people's games unique, and every other thing aside from talking about the WIP itself."

Wow...

Well good luck. I am sure your game is gonna be cool to play. No doubt about that.

Coach Shogun 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 00:10
Quote: "I said one phrase, and alot of people turn it to a large discussion as you claim it to be. /:"

I don't even think there was that large of a discussion about it. Your's is the only post I saw Red Eye.

Anyways, good luck Kravenwolf.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2009 00:38
Locked at author's request

NO. I don't look anything like my avatar!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:47:11
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:47:11