Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Invaders Reloaded.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 17:05 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 16:56

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bobbel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 17:16
Looks really awesome, i would really like to play it! Is it hard to controll all that stuff with just a... ehm... Brainmouse?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 17:31
Unfortunately, brain based controllers aren't advanced enough to be cognitive (I.e. think "left" and the ship will move left), its a more a reading of a mental state - calm, stressed, vacant, focussed, etc.

The game is played as normal (with keyboard/mouse/xbox controller / PS3 COntroller/wiimote) controlling movement, and activating weapons.

THe ship has 2 types of weapons, beams and lasers.

Lasers fire like a machinegun, with concentration controlling the rate of fire. With later upgrades, the spread of the shots is effected by your stress levels.

Beams are like a ... well...long beam. Their range is controlled by your concentration, with stress levels affecting their damage negatively.

What we found in our testing of the hardware is that using the brain to directly control things doesn't really work, simply because there is so much going on the subconcious. Like, you might be playing HL2, but thinking about your girlfriend, and therefore, you wouldn't have a high "concentration" value. If this controlled movement, you wouldn't go anywhere! Plus it feels a little odd. I mean, motor skills are something that are done naturally. You don't think about walking, you just walk. Having to suddenly think in order to walk in a game is a strange experience. Things are more natural when you use the brainwave reading to link them to something that is similar to real life. so, for example, linking concentration to accuracy on a weapon.

I want robotic legs.
Mindset User
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi:

The graphics look very cool. I bought a Mindset and will probably be receiving it next week. I would like to see the beta version of this game if posssible. It would also be cool if you could take a picture or video of people using the game with the Mindset.

- Have you felt that you can relax or concentrate more easily after playing the game under normal day activities?
- How much will this game cost?
- Can you offer information about what other games will be available?
- Will it have multiplayer mode? This could be cool for playing this game with your family and friends, or maybe under a biofeedback class in school, in a sport center, etc.
I know that this games can help people a lot to reach higher levels of wellness. This could make it popular as a family game, like Mario Bros or WII Sports.

About the game, I haven't played neurofeedback games, but I have tried the Wild Divine dual Drive Pro (heartbeat HRV). So here I have some questions:

- Do you allow the users to have a graph at the end of each session (or level if you like) regarding the reached relaxation and concentration levels?
- Can you save a user profile and see your historic data (w/graphs) in terms of progress?
- Can you have a small moving side bar for helping to self control your breath pace with adjustable speed? It is well known that if you control your breath pace at aprox. 10 secs. per breath you achieve higher heart rhythm stability and it is much easier to relax and concentrate.
- Do you have stages in which you are rewarded for alternating between concentration and relaxation levels? Or for decreasing concentration and relaxation intensity? I saw the Mindflex videos on youtube and it seems that the fun is not only related to achieving permanent higher levels of the mind states, but also to be able to adjust them at will, like when making a ball go through a ring at a certain height. Besides that, it makes you achieve more flexibility and not overdo a certain mind state, so you can play it longer without getting tired.

I guess that for this purpose it could have bonus stages with a different format, likewise the Exerion classic, if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Mindset User
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi:

The graphics look very cool. I bought a Mindset and will probably be receiving it next week. I would like to see the beta version of this game if posssible. It would also be cool if you could take a picture or video of people using the game with the Mindset.

- Have you felt that you can relax or concentrate more easily after playing the game under normal day activities?
- How much will this game cost?
- Can you offer information about what other games will be available?
- Will it have multiplayer mode? This could be cool for playing this game with your family and friends, or maybe under a biofeedback class in school, in a sport center, etc.
I know that this games can help people a lot to reach higher levels of wellness. This could make it popular as a family game, like Mario Bros or WII Sports.

About the game, I haven't played neurofeedback games, but I have tried the Wild Divine dual Drive Pro (heartbeat HRV). So here I have some questions:

- Do you allow the users to have a graph at the end of each session (or level if you like) regarding the reached relaxation and concentration levels?
- Can you save a user profile and see your historic data (w/graphs) in terms of progress?
- Can you have a small moving side bar for helping to self control your breath pace with adjustable speed? It is well known that if you control your breath pace at aprox. 10 secs. per breath you achieve higher heart rhythm stability and it is much easier to relax and concentrate.
- Do you have stages in which you are rewarded for alternating between concentration and relaxation levels? Or for decreasing concentration and relaxation intensity? I saw the Mindflex videos on youtube and it seems that the fun is not only related to achieving permanent higher levels of the mind states, but also to be able to adjust them at will, like when making a ball go through a ring at a certain height. Besides that, it makes you achieve more flexibility and not overdo a certain mind state, so you can play it longer without getting tired.

I guess that for this purpose it could have bonus stages with a different format, likewise the Exerion classic, if you know what I mean.

Cheers
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 17:09 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 17:12
Hey Mindset user,

Thanks for the comments, and good job getting a mindset, they're really cool, you're going to have alot of fun with them! I'm going to try and answer al your questions because they seem pretty pertinent to what we are tyrying to do:

Quote: "- Have you felt that you can relax or concentrate more easily after playing the game under normal day activities? "

I'm not really sure what you mean by this? What wouldn't qualify as a normal day activity? If you are fatigued, drunk , on meds, etc it is definately alot harder to concentrate and relax.

Quote: "- How much will this game cost?"

That's to be confirmed, but it will be part of a series of minigames available through an online store.
Quote: "
- Can you offer information about what other games will be available?"

Well, we have another 3 in the pipeline before christmas, and then further projects in the new year. There is an updated version of Airheads, which has been posted here before, except now with multiplayer, an application that generates music based on your mental state, and a bullet time, samurai sword fighting game.
Quote: "- Will it have multiplayer mode? This could be cool for playing this game with your family and friends, or maybe under a biofeedback class in school, in a sport center, etc."

Invaders reloaded is a single player experience only, although we are creating other games that do have multiplayer modes.

Quote: "- Do you allow the users to have a graph at the end of each session (or level if you like) regarding the reached relaxation and concentration levels?
- Can you save a user profile and see your historic data (w/graphs) in terms of progress?"

Invaders will be available through an online store (similar to steam, current working title is HomeAPP). HomeAPP will act as a hub, storing your achievements from your games, recording your mental levels etc. you will be able to go back and review your mental levels in the profile page of HomeAPP. This application also offers simple mental training, giving new users advice on how to setup the headset, and the best ways to focus and relax.

Quote: "- Do you have stages in which you are rewarded for alternating between concentration and relaxation levels? Or for decreasing concentration and relaxation intensity? I saw the Mindflex videos on youtube and it seems that the fun is not only related to achieving permanent higher levels of the mind states, but also to be able to adjust them at will, like when making a ball go through a ring at a certain height. Besides that, it makes you achieve more flexibility and not overdo a certain mind state, so you can play it longer without getting tired."

Yes we do! There is a boss level that requires you to focus hard to shoot him, then quickly change to relaxation to avoid being sucked in by the tractor beam. likewise there are a few levels flying through asteroid fields, where concentration activates a kind of bullet time, allowing you to dodge the asteroids more easily.

We've been working with the neurosky headset for almost a year now (we had a prototype one), and so we think we have a pretty good grasp of what makes for a fun game that you play with your mind

I want robotic legs.
Mindset User
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the answer Butter Fingers

I tried the demo and the game looks even better than in the video.

I tried the game in 1600x1050 but my PC went so slow... Anyway, looks like a good star screen saver.

Then I tried 800x600, and it went faster, but I believe that probably it is still slower than what the game is intended to.

I have Vista Basic, Celeron 1.7Ghz, 1GB Ram. I know that it it is not a gamer's dream machine, but I hope to play soon space invaders to take advantage of my Mindset device! I liked the game.

I would suggest that if possible, you could:
- Let the PC skip frames when it slows down
- Let the user select the screen resolution within the game. Adjusting it from the Control Panel made my desktop icons loose their organisation
- Allow decreasing the number of stars, I bet that would help a lot.

Also I would recommend that the letters of mision accomplished appear only when no more enemies are on screen.

The big silver/red letters of the game look very cool but they are somehow difficult to read and understand.

Well, I also visited the roll 7 video that you posted. I really respect this concept of video games with social responsabilty. I hope that you do well with this, I'm sure it will help a lot of people to learn to better concentrate and relax, and in general, have better health. Biofeedback has shown for 30 years how good it is for all sorts of people.

Lastly, you said on the other post that you didn't received much feedback. I believe it is mainly because if you are googling you don't find easily this site. It was just luck that I found it. You could change the title to something like "Invaders reloaded: A game for learning to concentrate and relax by changing your brainwaves". That seems more intersting than just "Invaders Reloaded". Showing a video of a person using the Mindset while playing would also add attention. And you could inform the other thousands of sites that are interested in commenting about these Neurosky games (like brain hack), so that they make links to this place.

I hope this may help.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 15:42:40
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 15:42:40