Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / DGDK Open Source Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 14:14 Edited at: 21st Apr 2011 00:05
Quote: "I'm currently looking at the Fulcrum system to build a scene editor. The physics side of it can be used for a lot of stuff."
WLGfx, I was under the impression you're creating a Level Editor App, but, its starting to sound more like an Engine App with a built-in Editor App. First, its Physics, then Sound, followed by Path-finding, next thing you know its a Game Engine. I know, because that's how S3GP started. LOL.

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2011 16:42
I know, with incorporating Fulcrum, it looks like its going to end up being a Scene Editor of sorts. Ideally, I want it to be something someone can run, design something in it. Throw it straight into their code and do stuff with it, whether it's a game level or a demo scene.

I'm after making the level editing easier using the physics side, but I see where you're heading lol... I may or may not win but I have to make a start somewhere.

Warning! May contain Nuts!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2011 02:15
Quote: "I'm after making the level editing easier using the physics side, but I see where you're heading lol... I may or may not win but I have to make a start somewhere."

I do understand how the Scene Editor can utilize physics/collision to orientate objects more easier and realistically on Terrain, in a Building, atop each other. It could be as easy as: 1) Select Object, 2) Drop Object (let physics do the work), 3)Save Object Orientation data. I intend to use it for that purpose and many others.

The funny thing is, you wont stop there. Why? because people who use WL-SGE are going to request more features to compete with other 1,234,567 other Scene Editors out there. Game Developers desire what you see, is what you get (WYSIWYG) results to simplify the work flow, which is why many Developers end up developing additional tools like Scene Editors specifically for their Game Engines. To save design time.

S3GP is a Engine. It uses the same resources to run it's Scene Editor (Utility Application) as it does Games (Entertainment Application). The only different between the Editor and Game is presentation. In fact, these Utility Applications can be and integrated directly or spawn derivative Applications that are re-skinned/re-organized for in-Game use.

IMHO, extensible and flexible Import/Export System is the most critical feature of an 3rd Party Editor, empowering your Editor to support many engine data formats. If WL-SGE doesn't utilize scripting, I highly recommend it for at least Import/Export. I'm taking my own advice for S3GP's Editor Suite. A flexible import/export system allows the Application to be use for other Developer's Game Engines (which can be a great selling point).

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 04:43
Over the last couple of weeks, I've been jotting down ideas for a Massive Multiplayer (Coop) Online FPS I plan to develop with S3GP. An Action Survival Horror with elements borrowed from several genres. I wanted to do something a little different with the Zombies Theme. You and your party (Human/AI) strive to survive in a modern Urban Landscape threatened by a hyper-infectious Zombie Horde, Giant Monsters, Mutants and Machines invading our world thru unpredictable Dimensional Rifts dubbed (DRIFTERS).

I'm drawing on inspirations from many games I've enjoyed playing over the years: Left 4 Dead, Earth Defense Force 2014, Dragon Age, Battlezone, Soul Caliber. I take the game play mechanics I enjoyed most about these games and integrate them into DRIFTERS:

FPS/RPG

The underlining gameplay is based on gun/projectile weapon-based combat viewed in first-person perspective. The highlight of the combat system is a fully customizable FPS Weapon System (Gunvertor). I've wanted to develop this system for years. From my perspective, the Weapon is the embodiment of your character in a FPS. The player should be allowed to take ownership and give it more personality. I love Sci-fi FPS Weapons and they're my weapons of choice for DRIFTERS. Sci-Fi FPS Weapons offer an extremely wide range appearance, operation, effect, possibilities. Lucky for us, Monsters aren't the only things coming thru the DRIFTERS.

Arcade

Its my goal to keep action extreme and intense so that cool down periods are in high demand. A good majority of the action is based on Arcade style game mechanics which are fast paced, simple, and relatively short. An example of such mechanics are the infection used by Zombies. Like a virus, Zombies seek-and-infect Player/NPCs upon contact. If you're character is infected - game over. Play my game c e l l u l a r to see the game mechanism in action.

Bosses. I like Bosses. Arcade games have Bosses. DRIFTER has Bosses. Bosses are Big, Mean, and Powerful.

Checkpoints. I like them in FPS games to keep the player and action...moving. They almost appear to be a necessity in a Survival Horror. Your mission: Get from Point A to Point B, alive. Usually with something chasing behind you and obstacles thrown in front of you. A chain of Checkpoints equals a Quest. Two schools of thought on implementation: 1) Explicit Checkpoint System, 2) Implicit Checkpoint System. An Explicit Checkpoint System is like a Quest/Mission System (Locate 3 Survivors, Return to Safe House).

RTS

An Implicit Checkpoint System thru depletion of resources (Generator powers Safe House Lights & Appliances, Generator require Gas, Gas located at abandoned Fuel Stations, Go to Gas Stations- Get Gas- Refuel Generators) and drive the need for Manpower/Resource gathering, while swarms of monsters drive the need for team work and safe house building.

Tactical

Team Work. I love cooperative games, wish there were more coop RPGs. Anyways, on top of FPS/RTS/Arcade I'm going to throw in some Tactical Game play elements in which the Players can issue simple instructions to AI controlled bots and requests to other Players to help one another. Rescuing Survivors serves purpose. Survivors can be useful in gathering resources, building, defending and attacking. They also make good Zombies.

Survival

Survival Points the primary unit of measurement used to quantify a player character's progression through the game. Its earned automatically at a very slow rate (Survival Duration) and in Bulk amounts after accomplishing tasks.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Good ideas techlord!

I have some questions about DIRECTX, but you never seem to be online. I know you are very busy lately.

Thanks,

Leo

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2011 15:12 Edited at: 2nd May 2011 15:57
Quote: "I have some questions about DIRECTX, but you never seem to be online. I know you are very busy lately."
Sorry, about that Red Eye. Somehow, my MSN Contact list has been been infected with some type of unremovable spammer virus. I cannot add new contacts, thus, have not signed in. I will sign in and create a new Group: S3GP(S3GP@groups.live.com) and send invites.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice!

Xerges
Years of Service
User Offline
That seems like a great idea!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2011 09:03
Quote: "That seems like a great idea!"
Xerges would be so kind to elaborate on what seems like a great idea?

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 06:50
how far is this project? just curious. been really looking foward to it!

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2011 08:46 Edited at: 15th May 2011 08:49
Quote: "how far is this project? just curious. been really looking foward to it!"

Short Answer: Not that far..
Long Answer: Migration to OGRE forced a massive amount of recode, as its just a rendering engine. Core Libraries for Sound and Physics have to be re-engineered and Core Systems such as the UI have to be nearly redone from scratch. I'm currently working on S3GP's UI and Sound system. I'm also working on the new TBEMS/DarkTokens system that will Money-tize S3GP!!! I'm the only active programmer at the moment and I've stretched myself a little thin

Faker1089
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 03:48
This might be a retarded question, I changed computers and I have the SVN but should I add all the paths manually or download the SVN into the official DGDK folder?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2011 08:32
Hey Faker1089, recommend creating a separate`DOSP` folder to download the SVN.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2011 09:37 Edited at: 24th May 2011 09:40
[vent]I'm disappointed with myself at this very moment. The migration to OGRE wasn't clearly thought out on my part, and I'm now in a situation that requires tons of new code to get a basic version of MAUI working. To make matters worse, I have to completely rewrite TournamentBlitz CMS and API(DarkTokens) that will money-tize S3GP. I let feature creep get the best of me again. sigh[/vent]

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 17:32 Edited at: 6th Jun 2011 17:42
Quote: "[vent]I'm disappointed with myself at this very moment. The migration to OGRE wasn't clearly thought out on my part, and I'm now in a situation that requires tons of new code to get a basic version of MAUI working. To make matters worse, I have to completely rewrite TournamentBlitz CMS and API(DarkTokens) that will money-tize S3GP. I let feature creep get the best of me again. sigh[/vent]"
All is not lost. This new path I've set course on had led me to discover software design patterns such as Model View Controller and Observer Patterns. As my programming skills have evolved, I found myself using adhok versions of these patterns. Now I'm starting to actually feel like a Real Software Engineer - LOL.

TBEMS with SG3P

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jun 2011 18:16
I said at the start that we needed someone to take the role of software engineer, to design the classes and how the objects will interact with each other, what relationships they will have with each other etc.

Such a large project needs a design stage imo, I am still waiting to see a class diagram

I understand though that you and I would approach these problems differently than we would have 18 months ago, such is the fact that we were both pretty new to C++ back then.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 10:16
Quote: "I said at the start that we needed someone to take the role of software engineer, to design the classes and how the objects will interact with each other, what relationships they will have with each other etc.

Such a large project needs a design stage imo, I am still waiting to see a class diagram

I understand though that you and I would approach these problems differently than we would have 18 months ago, such is the fact that we were both pretty new to C++ back then."
I laugh out loud to myself when I think about earlier C++ days. I've learned so much more about C++ and software design since that time. As far as Class diagrams go, my diagrams start at the systems level and I break those down to generate the Classes in code. However, I never produced any Class (code) diagrams that showed how code relates and works together visually. I can now see value in Class Diagrams for this purpose.

Its never too late for someone to take on the role of Software Engineer, although anyone who codes anything for project is playing the role. I still don't know what the definition of the roles and responsibilities would be for such a role. As the Project Coordinator, I've implicitly been filling in the role and my first self-assigned task was to organize the source code directory structure and settle on a labeling scheme.

I thought selecting a labeling scheme to use would be easy, but even that prove to be challenge because I could not get agreement on how things are labeled. I realized from that exercise, I was just going to have to pick a scheme and go with it and that philosophy has been much been driving the project thus far.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jun 2011 16:34
Quote: "Its never too late for someone to take on the role of Software Engineer, although anyone who codes anything for project is playing the role."

That seems to be the way its done alot of the time, I was probably optimistic to think someone could completely model something as complex as a game engine for us, I could still not do this, I think you can only do something like that when you have actually got alot of experience creating games/game engines, I suppose thats why lead developers get paid more

I think one mistake may have been putting dark basic commands in the engine, when looking at MAUI and after creating my own little GUI system I quickly realised how much there is in the code that has nothing to do with rendering.

An interface here would have been ideal, then when you swapped to OGRE you just implement the new interface.

I think the way you are working is just fine though, as this is now mostly a sole project you don't want to get bogged down in documentation/diagrams. I do appreciate all the work you did for the contributors, creating diagrams adn setting up svn etc.

In the end this project was just too ambitious for me, I still think you may have years ahead of you on this if you don't get more help. I hope not though as I would like to see you be very successful once your engine is complete.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jun 2011 08:13 Edited at: 10th Jun 2011 08:15
Quote: "In the end this project was just too ambitious for me, I still think you may have years ahead of you on this if you don't get more help. I hope not though as I would like to see you be very successful once your engine is complete."
I agree the project is ambitious, but, so is any project that will attempt to compete with the commercial dev houses. I elected to migrate S3GP to OGRE due to the anticipated length of development time (which could possibily exceed the life of DX9). I'm confident the decision has future-proofed S3GP to evolve with the tech, thus, I'm personally not concerned about how long it takes to develop it.

However, although, I'm not worried about the length of dev time, I'm certain that many Indie Devs who have ambitions of developing games for profit, would love to use S3GP to do it, but, it simply isn't being developed fast enough to hold their interest. I should have boasted more about how one could generate profits with S3GP TBEMS/DarkTokens implementation.

Quote: "I think the way you are working is just fine though, as this is now mostly a sole project you don't want to get bogged down in documentation/diagrams. I do appreciate all the work you did for the contributors, creating diagrams adn setting up svn etc."
I'm not claiming nor advertising DOSP to be a sole project. That would be self defeating. Documentation is a critical factor in this project. Without it, its difficult to locate the entry point for the project and find a place for a potential contributor to work with in it. However, that is another job in itself that would require a custodian and application such as a wiki. more work.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
...actually... I would start coding.

One man cant compete with 100 proffesionals (like in most big companys). But on the other hand one man CAN compete with Indies-Game-Developers, which may lead you to a higher step in the game dev bizz. And I am sure you will one day!

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 01:32 Edited at: 23rd Jun 2011 01:35
Quote: "One man cant compete with 100 proffesionals (like in most big companys)."
I refuse to believe that Red Eye. One man could compete, it could just take a 100 times longer to do so.

Matty has created independent Plug-ins: DarkImposters, CEGUI for DGDK, and Fulcrum/Dynamix. All of these Plug-ins can be integrated into a Single Master Game Engine Application, which I suspect is the ultimate goal. I believe Matty and my end goals to be identical, although my approach is from a different direction. My approach : 1) Establish Master Game Engine Application Project, 2) selected readily available Plug-ins, 3) replaced DGDK layers for a more direct integration with Core Libraries, 4) Write Framework-Code to integrate the core libraries and systems:

Renderer - Object-oriented Graphics Rendering Engine (OGRE)
Networking - DarkNet 2.0
Scripting - XML + LUA & OGRE Script
Physics - Physx Physics Engine Implementation
GUI - IOU (MAUI 2.1) Featuring OIS
Audio - Open AL Audio Engine Implementation
AI Pathfinding - Recast Mesh Navigation
Microtransaction API- DarkTokens

My goal for S3GP is to provide the community with Game Engine/Editor Application that one could load in content files and start playing, just like FPS Creator. SG3P is NOT a library of plug-ins. The intention behind open source, is to modify and extend S3GP, allowing it to evolve with the tech. Additionally, to provide a organized Training Tool for Learning how to develop Game Engines and Games.

In order for this occur and be successful, the source code requires considerable designing, organization, maintenance, and documentation (which isnt as fun as making a game, thus, not many volunteers). Thus, I'm taking measures to get tools in place to help me manage the project better and implement new software engineering techniques I've learned from other successful Open Source Projects.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2011 07:02
I love the goals being set here. Hope to see what these (very much wanted) ambitions will lead to.

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2011 14:39
Quote: "I'm taking measures to get tools in place to help me manage the project better and implement new software engineering techniques I've learned from other successful Open Source Projects."

Wiki Started

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2011 00:05 Edited at: 29th Jun 2011 00:07

DOSP Wiki

I should have set up the Wiki at the beginning of the project. Better Late than never I reckoned. Its already having a positive impact on improving the organization of DOSP. Please visit the new Wiki.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait... did you made a workflow for your wiki page?

Good luck with this.

Keep it up.

Leo

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2011 13:48

Super 3D Game Platform Architecture (Click for Full View)

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 10:00
Is the final thing really gonna be called the "Super 3D Game Engine/Super 3D Game Editor"? Cause I think something like the TechLord Engine/TechLord Editor sounds MUCH cooler. After all, your the leader of the whole darn thing!

Hello one and all.......
DevilLiger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 10:50
I vote for "TechLord Engine"

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 11:09 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 16:59
Quote: "Is the final thing really gonna be called the "Super 3D Game Engine/Super 3D Game Editor"? Cause I think something like the TechLord Engine/TechLord Editor sounds MUCH cooler."
Thanks Gibba. Super 3D Game Platform (S3GP) is the working title, however, it conveys exactly what this Game Application Creation System is all about. Yes, its a generic and cheesy title, but, powerful and easy to remember.

Also, S3GP is being develop under DGDK Open Source Project which is a community project. Any TGC Member can contribute and I'm not trying to develop it all by my lonesome forever, lol. Once I get some good startup documentation in place (which I'm currently working on) it should be easier for others to enter the project. For more details on the project go to the first post in this thread.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2011 23:03
I thought this was being done with DarkGDK? In the architecture diagram it shows Ogre as the graphics system. Maybe you mentioned this earlier on, but there is just too much to read now.

"So hold your head up high and know. It's not the end of the road"
Switch Game Engine
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 11:53 Edited at: 8th Jul 2011 00:52
Quote: "I thought this was being done with DarkGDK? In the architecture diagram it shows Ogre as the graphics system. Maybe you mentioned this earlier on, but there is just too much to read now. "

Hi heyufool1,

You only need to visit the top post for updates. I made numerous design changes since your last visit. I migrated to OGRE in March see Posted: 20th Mar 2011 10:48. I'm confident the decision has future-proofed S3GP to evolve with the tech (ie DX11, OpenGL). We haven't completely abandoned DGDK. The Scripting API adopts LUA in a procedural fashion and provides a command set similar to DGDK.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2011 23:01
Oh, I understand now! Seems like you got this all well planned out, Good luck!

Switch Game Engine
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jul 2011 15:00 Edited at: 8th Jul 2011 16:08
@ heyufool1, I read over your Switch Game Engine Blog. I see that you're developing a Engine with OGRE too, what happen with unity?
Quote: "Switch Game Engine is an all-in-one program to create games for the Windows platform. "
Your mission statement sounds very similar to my own for the Super 3D Game Platform (you can always come back to DOSP. LOL). I see that you started the with the development of a Level Editor (as I recall you were also advocating to build an editor first at the beginning of DOSP). Is this editor part of engine or a separate app? I also noticed that you're developing a Script Engine. Scripting is the first system on my list-of-systems-game-engines-must-have, followed by networking. I've written at least 3 script engines and they're a lot of work which is why I elected to use LUA.

heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2011 02:44 Edited at: 9th Jul 2011 02:54
Quote: "Your mission statement sounds very similar to my own for the Super 3D Game Platform (you can always come back to DOSP. LOL). I see that you started the with the development of a Level Editor (as I recall you were also advocating to build an editor first at the beginning of DOSP). Is this editor part of engine or a separate app? I also noticed that you're developing a Script Engine. Scripting is the first system on my list-of-systems-game-engines-must-have, followed by networking. I've written at least 3 script engines and they're a lot of work which is why I elected to use LUA."

Thanks for the read , I was working on the engine (primarily the editor) for a while now, but after seeing http://www.gamestart3d.com/ I just lost a lot of motivation for the project. For now I changed my sights from an all-in-one game editor to a personal editor (engine too) for me to use in games and then distribute it for modding. Right now the editor uses my engine (which isn't too complex yet so it's easy enough to remove). Right now it can load/save projects, import media, create objects for property editing, add scripts to objects, most of the basics of an editor (object placements, etc.) and run a game. If you like you could look at my editor's source and use it for DOSP, however it's not the most memory efficient thing. Oh, and I don't what you are planning to use for the GUI but I'm working with WxWidgets, and it's very nice. Much better than working with straight up windows api.

As for the scripting engine, I have one working with predefined functions (including arguments and return types), math (order of operations), decision structures, while and do...while loops, and variables (including scopes). However, it's not too fast and I probably did some stuff poorly/incorrectly. It was originally a school project so I was rushed to get a working prototype. I'm not sure if LUA is open source, but if it's not then that's the only reason why I would suggest creating a custom language. It could prove useful to be able to add engine specific features and you could optimize the language specifically for games/ogre. I agree that it's a lot of work though, especially in the optimization area.

I'm not sure if I want to return to DOSP right now, because I currently have enough motivation to work on the editor for personal use (and later modding). However, if you need any help with anything (except networking ), just shoot me an email.

Switch Game Engine
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2011 01:11 Edited at: 24th Jul 2011 17:00
Quote: "Oh, and I don't what you are planning to use for the GUI but I'm working with WxWidgets, and it's very nice."

S3GP's GUI Design(Click Me)

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 06:06
I come here every day to see if there's something new. Cool stuff!

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jul 2011 17:20 Edited at: 4th Aug 2011 17:24
Just discovered today that I was implementing a component based entity system for S3GP's Game-User Interactivity System. I had no idea that paradigm already existed. From my research component-based entities are popular amongst the Commercial Game Developers.

The main advantages to component based entity systems are:
1. No programmer required for designers to modify game logic
2. Circumvents the “impossible” problem of hard-coding all entity relationships at start of project
3. Allows for easy implementation of game-design ideas that cross-cut traditional OOP objects
4. Much faster compile/test/debug cycles
5. Much more agile way to develop code

Interested in getting started with Component-based Entities? Take a gander at Cistron: an open source component-based object framework: Forum|SVN|Example. My approach to component-based entities revolves entirely around the Graphical User Interface System (IOU) which can be seen here.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 17:15 Edited at: 3rd Aug 2011 00:18
I wanted to make games not editors!

But, then I had an epiphany. Why not re-skin these applications and use them in-game for user customization? Why not add game mechanics to these applications to make editing more animated and entertaining? Why not create Tools that are fun to play! That day changed how I viewed Editors. Creation is fun, and even more so when you have to blast on AI controlled Aliens out to abduct your work-of-art!

With my new found vision, I elected to develop S3GEd concurrently-on-top of the S3GE. To support this concept, I concluded a custom GUI system would be required that consolidates all User and CPU Interactivity 2D/3D GUI Widgets, 3D Event Triggers, Player Controller. My original intention was to consolidate and save development time thru reuse of Applications and processes. After all, whats the difference between moving your character in a 3D world and activating a Trigger verses moving a mouse pointer over a 2D screen and activating a Widget?

So in the process of developing event handling, messaging, and process optimizations for the GUI system, I discovered that I was developing framework for a Entity/Component Model (which apparently has been adopted by some commercial development houses 1,2,3). I impressed myself with that one.

I realized today that I'm not developing Game Tools, I'm developing Tool Games (TOGs), possibly a new game genre. I wanted to make games not editors! I found a way that I enjoy doing both. Its about presentation and delivery. Nothing written in stone commanding Tools to only be serious. I'm simply blurring the lines a little, is it a Toolbox full of Toys or a Toy-box full of Tools?

Sometimes we indie game developers have to think outside-the-(tool)box, LOL.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 06:27
Maybe I'm missing the point here...
What exactly are you doing now?
It's sounds interesting, but what is your idea here?
Also, just a suggestion, I think you should show this to TGC themselves. They might like it and they even might help you!

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 11:39 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 08:04
Quote: "Maybe I'm missing the point here...
What exactly are you doing now?
It's sounds interesting, but what is your idea here?
Also, just a suggestion, I think you should show this to TGC themselves. They might like it and they even might help you!"

Hi Gibba gobba,

I assume you're referring to Tool Games (TOGs). So, What is a Tool Game (TOG)? A Tool Game is an Editing Application with interactive entertainment elements, or an Entertainment Application with functional editing features.

I'm repackaging S3GEd to solicit more help. S3GP is unlike any other Game Creation Platform to date. Not only is it the Non-Coders' Game Designer, its the Non-Artist's Game Designer, its the Gamer's Game Designer.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 05:21
Still weird on the premise your newly presenting, but sounds intriguing enough!

Hello one and all.......
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds nice. But how far is that "non-artist's game designer" going? Because I can not imagine anything being done without a artist designer.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 14:22 Edited at: 5th Aug 2011 14:25
Hello Red Eye,

If you've worked with Spore Creature Creator or other games with Editors that let the player customize Entities, then you're working with what I call a non-artist designer. These are High Level design tools that make it easy for Players to create a variety of Characters, Vehicles, Weapons, Buildings, etc.

Most of these applications use a modular construction method of some sort in which a variety of parts can be interchanged. Some can generate parts procedurally, others use pre-fabricated parts created by an Artist. Some Editors offer greater customization to adjust size and color of parts.

In my opinion, if one is going to develop a Game Development Platform that create unique game mechanics without coding, then it should also create unique game art without an artist. Super 3D Game Editor Applications are designed with this philosophy. S3GP provides options to use Programmers and Artists if so desired.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 21:08
Is sound creation thought of in the same aspects? Like the way you can edit sounds and create music in LBP 2.

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 01:00 Edited at: 6th Aug 2011 01:05
Quote: "Is sound creation thought of in the same aspects? Like the way you can edit sounds and create music in LBP 2."
Gibba gobba, LBP2 Editing Tools are the inspiration for Super 3D Tool Games! In addition to the interactive entertainment elements, Super 3D Tool Games provides functional data import and export of your creations in a variety of formats usable in other products.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 08:29
ARE there sound and music creation/editing tools provided in S3GE?

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 09:02 Edited at: 7th Aug 2011 09:05
Quote: "ARE there sound and music creation/editing tools provided in S3GE?"
Yes, there will be 3 types of Audio Editors: Music, Acoustics, and Mood. The Music Editor is a Layer-based Sequencer that can be used to create Music. The Acoustics Editor edits Sound FX, Sound-Fields & Sound Particles(concept). The Mood Editor ties into the Event System to trigger music and sound fx (rain & thunder) that are designated by mood. S3GP will not be a complete Non-Coders'/Non-Artists'/Gamers' Game Designer without them.

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2011 09:24
Sweet! Very excited! Can't wait!

Hello one and all.......
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 05:07 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 05:12
Guys, I started to write S3GP's Components System and I have to say that I'm excited about it. Components will make the Engine Framework way easier to manage/modify and simplify the process of creating various Game Entities. This puts S3GP one step closure a professional engine design in my opinion. I'm designing my Components based on the following paradigm definitions:

* Entities, which are just global unique IDs (usually implemented as integers for obvious reasons, but they can be anything that can uniquely identify each one).

* Components, which are chunks of data (equivalent to structures in C/C++ like languages, or classes with no methods in languages like Java that force OOP).

* Systems, which drive the whole program. These are normal OOP classes. Each system ideally operates on all components of its type, for example: the Render System will probably operate mainly on Render Components (of course this is just ideal, as you'd probably have some other components to take into consideration, like a Position, or Animation, or whatever).

I'm rewriting all of the Engine Framework to use Components. Here is my current untested work in progress:

Component Declarations

Systems Component Class Declarations

Framework Construction

Gibba gobba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 05:55
Even though you label this as some sort of TOG thing, will we still be able to export games as their own and distribute them? And if so, what are the licences for that?

Hello one and all.......

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 01:58:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 01:58:23