Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / One large model or lots of little ones?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 22:55
Some of the TGC models you get free come with their animations in different X files:
Android-move.x
Android-idle.x
etc....

Then some are one X file with all animations:
colX.x
mika.x
etc....

O.K, why is this?

I am about to invest alot of time into setting up these models and animations and I dont want to do it wrong.

I am basing my animation class off having all the animations in one X file, is this the right way to do it?

Or should I be loading multiple X files and replacing the model everytime the animation needs to change?

I would like to stick with the way I have been doing it unless there is a really good reason to have your animations in different files.

Thanks in advance.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 01:17
You can use the dbAppendObject() command to put all of the animation information into the one file.

Just remember that you will be appending the first frame of the source animation to current last frame of the target model, which will increase each time you append something to it.

But to answer your question, there is no right and wrong way to do it, it all depends on how you have your models setup and how you design you animation controller. The only thing I would suggest is that for a single project, you do it all the one way.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2009 01:41
Thanks Mista Wilson, just didn't want to spend lots of time doing it one way and then learn that everyone else does it differently.

I have started designing my animation class with the idea that each X file will contain all animations, then like you said I will append any models that come in the other format.

The only drawback I could see was that you may load alot of animations that you may never use, but I can live with that, thanks again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:27:41
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:27:41