Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Move object in facing direction

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I just started with Dark GDK today and I have come across my first problem which I can't solve.

I have made a basic movement system, which loops an animation whilst walking and moves forwards and backwards, but when I press Left and Right I want it to rotate the object (which I can do), but I would then want to move forwards and backwards in the new direction that the object is facing.

How would I achieve this?
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 02:38
I'm pretty sure dbMoveObject will move an object forward relative to it's angle.

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
^ THAT is one of the most useful functions I have ever met! It is sooo damn useful for a lot of things. It stops you using matrices and vectors to move objects

Your signature has been erased by a mod
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 04:03
If you don't want to use dbMoveObject you can use this code to move your object forward:

To move the object faster multiply the dbSin and dbCos results by a number.

Use Google first... it's not rocket surgery!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 11:49 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 11:50
If you have trouble with dbMoveObject, try turning your object with dbTurnObjectLeft and dbTurnObjectRight(as opposed to dbRotateObject).

There are two types of movement(rotation) free-flight and euler and they are not compatable.

It kind of tells you in the documentation but it is far from clear.
UndeadDragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. That dbMoveObject() is a really useful function

I have come across another problem now. When my object rotates in a direction, my camera also rotates, but it rotates from where it's position. I would like it to "pan around" my object, so it is still directly behind it. What would be the easiest way to achieve this?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:20:26
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:20:26