Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Opinions on Play Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
So I’m thinking of the design concept for my next 2d game. I’m thinking of using an isometric map and perhaps trying a different compiler. I’ve heard of Play Basic but didn’t know what it was. Low and behold, it’s a Game Creators product but I don’t see a forum devoted to it. A search of the forums doesn’t turn up much either. PlayBasic.com is “under construction”. I downloaded the demo and the IDE looks pretty slick but without any support….

Does anyone have an opinion on Play Basic. I’ve made three games with DBP and am pretty satisfied with it but is it worth the $35 for Play Basic. A comparison between DPB and Play Basic maybe?
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 08:41 Edited at: 16th Aug 2009 08:44
PB is not a TGC product and more info (including link to forum) can be found here. i've never demo'd PB but it looks "quality" from all i've seen of it and receives regular attention/further development/support/etc from Kevin Picone.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 16:07
PlayBasic is FAR more advanced in 2D then DBP is, I own it and used it for a while for a little test I was working on. It's quite simple and works REALLY stable. It's also very much like DBP in ways of programming.

It's not the world that turns against you, it's you that turns against the world.
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Aug 2009 16:43 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2010 01:09
Quote: "Low and behold, it’s a Game Creators product but I don’t see a forum devoted to it. "

As has already been said. TGC are a PlayBasic reseller, they didn't write it. PlayBasic is a product of www.UnderwareDesign.com, which is where you'll find the current 'product' page with links to all the related information. updates, comparisons etc etc. Moreover, there's no forum on TGC because we have our own.

There's lots of information available via TGC forum though, mainly posted on the 2D and Programming boards, plus the odd WIP post. Probably the PBFX thread is the best place to look in terms of what's going on in the PlayBasic world. WIP thread

The TGC news letter is another place to look.

chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I'll check out the site and forums.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 01:08:42
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 01:08:42