Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / maximum polys i should work with ??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
is 18000 polys for the player is high to work in a game ??

how do i know the maximum polys i shouldn't exceed to put im my game ?
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2009 14:47
Yes 18000 poly's is high for a player model in a game....

The maximum amount of poly's that one mesh can contain in GDK is 20,000. You can have more than that in an object though, by using limbs, but per mesh, its 20k..

The average for most games is anywhere from 500 to a few thousand on average. Some newer AAA games have higher poly models, but they also have much more technologically advanced engines behind them capable of rendering that many poly's efficiently... GDK isnt without alot of work setting up LOD and frustrum culling.

You should try to make you models use as few poly's as possible while maintaining the detail you need. Its important to use as few as possible because you may have many different objects onscreen at one time, and if they are all in the 10's of thousands of poly's, your program will slow to a crawl.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2009 04:56
Have to agree with Mista Wilson there.

Most lower/mid end video card can handle between 200,000 to 500,000 polygons possibly (mixture of front and back face) rendered at the one time, so that should give you an idea about the maximum environment complexity that you can aim for.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 10:39:33
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 10:39:33