Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / Is it possible to make the build grid bigger?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it possible to make the grid bigger so we have more space to build?

www.storm4.webs.com
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 15:59
Only if you get the map editor source code but it hasn't been released yet.
Apparently it will be soon though.

knxrb

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 16:10 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2009 16:11
Quote: "Is it possible to make the grid bigger so we have more space to build?"

No but as knxrb says, they might release the map editor source code. I dont see anybody who could use the whole map anyway, you get 15 layers to work on aswell.

I could imagine the complainging everybody would be doing cause of the lag it would create o.O Dark basics sure does lag

Join the forums and download fpsc games here:
http://fpsc-games.webs.com/
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram,SoundBlaster Audigy,EFX Free Edition
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 16:17
Quote: "Dark basics sure does lag"

DarkBasic Pro only lags when you don't code it properly.
I've made multiple programs and some small games with no lag whatsoever with DBPro.

knxrb

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 20:20
My game levels for the new game i'm working on use up all the available space and i coud use more, AND they dont lag.
I'd love to have more grid space

He stood like a stone wall, not only in battle, but also for the Lord
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 02:57
Quote: "DarkBasic Pro only lags when you don't code it properly"

So TGC didnt code FPS Creator Right then ?

Join the forums and download fpsc games here:
http://fpsc-games.webs.com/
Windows Vista,ATI Readon HD 4870,AMD Athlon 7750 64 Dual Core,4GB ram,SoundBlaster Audigy,EFX Free Edition
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I dont see anybody who could use the whole map anyway, you get 15 layers to work on aswell."

If you try to create an outdoor scene then it is very easy to use up the space and whilst its not prohibitive it is really limiting

Pioneering - Website: http://www.huntersofkentucky.com
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "So TGC didnt code FPS Creator Right then ?"

Actually they did, infact it was the main developer of DB pro that made FPSC.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 05:06
Quote: "I dont see anybody who could use the whole map anyway"

actually I might my game is all outdoors

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 05:24
I can use the whole map and everyone of the layers for my game (which i'm doing)

He stood like a stone wall, not only in battle, but also for the Lord
J3lack Heart
User Banned
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 06:14
Hell im making a fantasy game called "Realms Of The Kings"and i could use a MUCH bigger grid size.*sigh* if only...
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 09:18 Edited at: 24th Aug 2009 09:18
Personally, yeah I can't see using the entire grid space provided (granted, some could); but I think it would be nice to be able to size the grid squares. For example, if you down-sized it four times, 4 segment squares would make up one as it is now. That way, you could make more unique shaped rooms. Just a thought.

Ich will in Beifall untergehen.
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont understand why people just say they cant use it. I mean if you have a good performance mod, alot out there. And you have a bigger grid size, + Terrain and lod system. You can make WoW games.
Now just go ahead and mod the mutlyplayer part.

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 13:52
I used a whole layer for chapter 1 of "he is coming..." and needed to do some nifty tricks to get a decent speed, although it does lag on many machines.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 15:31 Edited at: 24th Aug 2009 15:32
Originally the concept plan for FPSC was for a world size of 100 x 100 tiles which was it seems a little over optimistic and so we have a world size of 40 x 40 tiles.

The reasons are many and varied and have been discussed in great depth and well documented in great detail over many years.

Aspirations of users and TGC perhaps for a larger world size have been of necessity tempered by the reality of the product and its development. TGC in the product development and users in practical application for development of game levels.

Quite major improvements to the core engine would be needed to facilitate a larger world size capability without further impacting on engine performance and end user gameplay and to simply enlarge the world size would be counter productive overall in the wider aspect of game making with it.

If Lee could have given you a larger world size then no doubt you would already have it after all these years.

All or most of the issues which prevent that still exist as far as I am aware so its unlikely that you will get it at least for the moment.

Given that the engine capability and performance is improved enough perhaps by the migration development work and beyond, then if frame rates hold up substantially in levels where the current world size is fully utilised without major performance hit issues then that will at least be a stable base to consider further improvements and possibilities.

Without stability of the engines performance and other core pre-requisites in place I don't see Lee making his and everyone elses job harder by simply increasing the world size.

The burden of AI, Polygon counts, Portal rendering, Zoneing, LOD, engine and user game level optimisation are just some of the issues needing to be considered and both the TGC and the end user would have to do a great deal of work to get FPSC to perform adequately utilising a larger world size.

Thus far recent speed improvements to the engine are encouraging, however issues and instabilities still exist and they hold back FPSC and always have done so.

Wait for the Migration and see what you get. Hopefully at least the AI drain and a few other issues will settle down and you will be half way there.

At the moment there are two versions of FPSC and a large number of endless engine Mods all in a state of heavy development and fluctuation.

Lee is a clever guy and will be aware of what increasing the world size will mean to end users because he will have tested out FPSC with an increased world size to see how it holds up. You should trust Lee and his assessment must be that its not a good idea or you would have it.

Outdoor levels, large terrains, 100 x 100 tiles world size all very desirable but at this moment I would suggest if you were given it you would be sorry - your game unless largely devoid of content would grind to a halt.

100 x 100 tiles in FPSC would be just a user nightmare at the moment in my opinion and I am an ardent supporter of larger world size for FPSC. Most of my levels indoor and out in fact take up the whole of the FPSC world.

250 seamless textures : http://www.umedia.co.uk
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 15:53 Edited at: 24th Aug 2009 15:53
Quote: "So TGC didnt code FPS Creator Right then ?"

There are much better and faster ways to write some of the subs they are using in the FPSC source code.

knxrb

Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 21:36 Edited at: 26th Aug 2009 18:18
Size really matters not. More important is how it is used.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 23:13:29
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 23:13:29