Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / FPS(frames per second)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
how can i improve my FPS / player speed without loosing quality? i noticed that when i increased the window size of the game, the FPS dropped from 60 to 30. how can i speed up the game a lil

ps. i cant buy better hardware for my PC
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 20:49
well, you could either work on your code and improve it (reduce instructions in main loop) or optimize your media (less polygons).
maybe you should post some code (main loop)...

They say it's better to burn out, than it is to fade away...
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
One thing that may cause a lot of lag is constantly calling functions like dbMouseClick, dbKeystate, etc. It would be better to set a variable's value to those in the beginning of your loop, that way you only call that once per loop rather than maybe ten.
thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
thats the whole code
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2009 21:25
Might be slow because of these lines... try removing them with an increased windows size and run it.

Games are like life, they should never stand still.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 01:05
Those function calls shouldnt cause the amount of overhead that is being experienced... A drop from a full syncrate of 60(which is as high as it will go unless you set it up to go higher) to half of that is massive, much more so than a few function calls will cause. However, check the function that heyufool1 has pointed out, as its changing the syncrate, if it happens to change the rate to 30, then thats what your syncrate will be.... that could be one cause of the sudden slowdown.

I would have to say it looks that unfortunately, 90% of your problem is going to be hardware related. If the PC just isnt powerful enough, there isnt alot that you will be able to do.

That said, Im sure that you could squeeze a few more cycles out of your code with some optimizations, but I really dont think that there is anything you could optimize, and keep the same quality of media to increase your FPS as dramatically as it has fallen.

If you really cant put up with the slowness, and cant upgrade your pc, the only thing to do would be to use less complex media. Use smaller models, with fewer poly's and less animation, use smaller resolution images for the textures(instead of a 512x512 texture, use a 128x128 texture(or even lower), that alone will free alot of graphics related resources on older pc's though it will probably be the most noticable for detail loss)

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
my specs:

Athlon 4400+ X2 dual core
Nvidia 8400GS(beleive it or not, i can play alot of demanding games)
2gb Ram..

i pulled the map from an FPSC game i made.. i can run that game fullscreen with no lag/slowness
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 02:24
Quote: " ...the only thing to do would be to use less complex media"

thats what I was thinking. If your universe.dbo( or whatever your FPSC level map is called ) has a high poly count, then that could also cause slow down of your fps. Try making a smaller map and see how much fps you gain. If you see alot of fps gain, then that's another area you might think about. Alot of game engines have there own method to show/hide parts of the level that you can not see in the camera view to reduce the amount of polygons being rendered( ie: BSP, portals, octree, quadtree, etc...).

Hope that helps...

thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
actually, it was the window size, i made it 1024 768 and dropped by half, i made it 1024 600 and it rose back to 60fps
Zuka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 03:41
30 fps is still wonderful, seeing as the human eye can only capture 32 fps. Movies run at 24fps. Complaining about 30fps is just pathetic. It's a problem with DGDK, I'm pretty sure it won't continue to go down until you really get some processing going there.

thm120
Years of Service
User Offline
no sir u dont understand.. when it slowed to 30 FPS everything slowed down beyond that.. player movement was cut more than half and didnt go back up no matter what i did to it, everything just looked sluggish as hell
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 03:59
@Zuka -

Quote: "seeing as the human eye can only capture 32 fps"

I think that is kind of over simplifying the concept. The way the human eye detects motion and "sees" has to do alot more with how the picture is dispalyed, how blurry/sharp it is than how many frames per second it has...

You can have a very blurry image of for example fog, playing at 10fps and it will look really smooth because of the way the human eye interprets the blur, whereas you could ahve a really really sharp set of images playing at 50fps and it could look stuttery.

These are some questions to think about :

Q. How many frames per second can the human eye see?

A. This is a tricky question. And much confusion about it is related to the fact, that this question is NOT the same as:
-Q. How many frames per second do I have to have to make motions look fluid?
And it's not the same as:
-Q. How many frames per second makes the movie stop flickering?
And it's not the same as:
-Q. What is the shortest frame a human eye would notice?

Here is a link that explains all these concepts more fully and alot better than me lol :

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
When I see Halo 3 and CoD 4 played next to each other, I notice the difference immediately. Call of Duty is much much more smooth whereas Halo is more jerky (Halo runs at 30fps, CoD runs at 45fps afaik)

Your signature has been erased by a mod
chunks chunks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 14:43
use fullscreen instead of a window , always gets my fps up , make sure you use dbSetWindowOff() , hence you dont see many big games like cod4/5 using a window.

Also try using cos and sin out of math.h instead of dbsin/dbcos might be faster .

chunks

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 18:29
Quote: "the human eye can only capture 32 fps. Movies run at 24fps. Complaining about 30fps is just pathetic."

The human eye does not work like that. It sees continuously, and can very easily distinguish between 32FPS and 60FPS. Although an image will have a lasting effect for about 1/25th of a second, the successive images are also having an effect during that time. Television images look smooth for a number of reasons:
1) Things on TV are often moving smoothly, because people are often on TV. In games, animations can be jerky, and objects often stop instantly with no deceleration.

2) On TV, the frame rate is perfect, not varying at all, whereas in games, the frame rate varies continuously.

3) On TV, the images are photo-realistic, whereas in games the images are far less realistic, and so our eyes need more persuading that what we see is moving rather than simply changing position.

4) On TV, we don't interact with the images, whereas in games we control a player, and expect the images to respond instantly.

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2009 23:36
Quote: "how can i improve my FPS / player speed without loosing quality?"

Write faster routines?

Collision, physics, and rendering can all be optimized.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:36:57
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:36:57