Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Galaga sound effects

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm making an offspring of Galaga, my favorite game in the world.

Wondering if anyone has some Galaga sound effects or knows where I can find some. The sprites were easy to come by.

Here's a screen shot of what I have so far:

I'm calling it Galagan Arena. Basically, instead of being restricted to a top-down shooter, your ship can fly around the ring (arena) and fight from all angles.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 00:15
You could hook your sound cards speaker port to your microphone port and play Galaga on MAME. Record all the sounds and use a wave editor to cut out the individual sounds.

Or if you don't want to install MAME go here:

http://www.breumelhof.nl/emulationroms/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,62/

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 00:16
I haven't played Galaga in a long time (and playing it right now would be useless since my sound isn't working) so I'm not sure exactly what the sound effects sound like, but I use sfxr when making retro games--it's a retro sound generator that generates random sounds based on properties you select and it can generate anything from a brick breaking to a missile being launched to a ship exploding.

i like orange
chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "You could hook your sound cards speaker port to your microphone port and play Galaga on MAME. Record all the sounds and use a wave editor to cut out the individual sounds.
"

I got Mame, it's awsome. I play Galaga on it all the time. I didn't thing about doing that but I don't have a microphone anyway. I suppose I could by one

Sfrx sound cool but the server seems to be down, I'll try it out later.

Thanks for the ideas.
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 19:43
You don't need a microphone. You use a cable like this:

One end goes into your speaker jack and the other into the microphone jack... so every sound is directly piped into the recording jack of your card (you won't hear it till you hook up your speakers again). If you have a Sound Blaster card there is also software that allows you to record anything the sound card plays without the need for cables.

Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 19:45
Capture the sound you can.

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2009 02:43 Edited at: 30th Aug 2009 02:43
Pretty much any sound card can record its own Stereo Mix, my netbook, old desktop, new desktop. What useless piece of junk have you got which can't?

chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
[quote]

What useless piece of junk have you got which can't?

Uh, I never said I couldn't. That's reaaly not what I was asking here but thanks for the suggestions and feedback. I'm just asking if anyone has any existing resources.

Anyway, I decided to go a different route for the game. I kept the Galaga graphics for the missiles but changed everything else. It's pretty much done. You can check it out in the WIP forum:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157140&b=8
chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
Ooop's, I didn't mean to put the whole thing in a Quote box

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:41
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 13:16:41