Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Isometric Map Editor in development

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 00:42 Edited at: 5th Sep 2003 17:20
I am working on a turn-based strategy game with an isometric view point.
It's only early days but I have already knocked up a simple map editor. You can see an early screenshot below:

http://www.basementfactory.com/omnipotence/om_screenshot1.html

I will post a demo of it once I have added a few more features to it.
Would anyone be interested in this? The program will output a data file that can be imported to my tile engine to create any sort of map you could care to create.
I would appreciate people's opinions.

FieldDoc,

Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 06:27
Hey! Looks neat! I'd be interested in maybe tagging along on making the game itself. I really need to learn soem more DB and this would be a good opportunity! Hey man, just lemme know if you want me to help via any of the messengers below, or by replying to this, and I'll get around to checking it!

Don't turn your back on me, I won't be ignored! Faint - Linkin Park

One minute your on top! Next you're not, watch you drop! Linkin Park- Hit the Floor
Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 12:16
you used zen's iso system didnt ya i can tell cause the tiles dont seem to tesselate too well, its actually the fault of the graphics for the tiles, i worked on them a fair bit to make them fit better so they didnt look like bended tiles. Anyway if you want some graphics for your game i can make tiles easy, and can work on characters too, im trying to make my own iso game (not a strategy, more like a fallout rpg), but im stuck cause i don't know how to add sprites over the top of the tiles and make them move around etc. but i'd be glad to help you with graphics.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 12:42 Edited at: 26th Aug 2003 12:43
Hi,

I didn't use Zen's iso system...well, not exactly anyway. I took it apart with the help of guys on these and other forums. At the core though the draw routine is the same.

I drew the tiles myself in photoshop (which is why they aren't great!) but they are only demo ones.

I may well take you up on your offer for some tiles....I am not the most artisitically gifted man alive! If you message me with your email address I will mail you a blank tile template and we can talk about how you could help me out. I would also need graphics for tile resources, etc.

Many thanks,

Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 22:05
Quote: "Hey! Looks neat! I'd be interested in maybe tagging along on making the game itself. I really need to learn soem more DB and this would be a good opportunity! Hey man, just lemme know if you want me to help via any of the messengers below, or by replying to this, and I'll get around to checking it!
"

Do you read the latest post, or all of them? You didn't seem to notice my post..

Don't turn your back on me, I won't be ignored! Faint - Linkin Park

One minute your on top! Next you're not, watch you drop! Linkin Park- Hit the Floor
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2003 23:51
@Inkybro:

I did read your post but and i'm sorry I didn't reply to you. What I need help with is graphics. If I do need help as the game progresses, I will definitely consider you but I will post it in the Team Requests forum.

I have a more up to date screenshot below:

http://www.tinywars.dsl.pipex.com/images/map_editor_2.jpg

As you can see, the toolbox is changing and now has functioning tabs with mouse hover effects.

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 06:29
wow! this looks good.

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios
Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 10:36
Do you have multilayer map?
How about tile transitions?
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 11:48 Edited at: 27th Aug 2003 14:16
@Mattman:
Thanks

@Uberwiggett robx:
Thanks for the email. I will send you the tile templates this evening (I don't have access to that email account from work otherwise i'd send them now).

@Beavis:
1. Yep
2. Not sure what you mean by tile transitions. Could you elaborate a little?

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 12:32
transition form sand to grass, from sand to rock, form grass to rock, etc...
I suggest make one layer for transitions and make halftransparent tiles for transitions. You save time, because you must not draw all combinations then...
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 14:20
I hadn't thought of that but that is a very good suggestion. I'll have a play around with the idea later.

One issue I haven't run into yet but I think I will do in the near future is the limit on the number of images allowed to be loaded at one time. Am I right in thinking it's 32? If thats the case i'm a little concerned because there may be times when I need to display more than 32 images on the screen at once. Is there a workaround to this limitation?

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 15:07
I dont think that there is some limitation of 32 on load image...
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 15:12
no limitation on load image but there's a limit on the load bitmap command i believe.

Your program looks brill by the way, can't wait to try it out

Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny...
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 15:46
That's a relief! *wipes sweat from brow*

I hope to release a tech demo of it soon. Possibly by the weekend if my fiancee doesn't rudely drag me away from the PC again.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 12:26 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2003 12:28
Just an update:

Finally got my hands on my PC yesterday for the first time in like 5 days (damn women!).

Features at the moment are:
- Select tile type from (at current) 10 different ones
- Placement of start locations for up to 10 different civs
- Placement of resources on tiles (max 1 resource per tile)

Still to add:
- Support for more display modes (currently only looks reasonable if you are using 1024x768)
- Placement of event triggers
- Saving of the map and it's data (I am still trying to decide this as I am intending to use this as the map editor for my game-in-progress so a standard has not yet been decided).

To make this useful for other people who might be making isometric games (I am sure there are some here), how would you like the data from the editor to be outputed?

Currently, the map data is an array call Map(Xsize, Ysize, Misc) where Xsize and Ysize are the horizontal and vertcial dimensions of the map respectively. Misc stores additional data about each tile. For instance, If Map(1, 1, 0) = 1 then the tile at location (1, 1) would show the image for tile number 1 (currently this is designated as an empty tile). If Map(1, 1, 1) = 5 then the tile at location (1, 1) is a start point for civ 5. Similarly, if Map(1, 1, 2) = 0 then there is no resource present at tile location (1, 1). I'm not sure if that makes sense?

What i'm not sure is whether to go about making the output of the editor an array. Would people prefer for me to save the output as a text file of some sort? Also, at the moment the user is able to choose the number of civilisations catered for by the map (max. 20) at the start of the program. They are therefore displayed in the toolbox as simply generic civ 1 through 20. Would you like me to include the ability to name each civ and output this to the save file? Or would you prefer for me to just designate each civ as a numerical value?

This might become more clear once I release the in-game engine (which I assure you is faster than the map editor engine). I hope to release a tech demo soonish.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 20:41
This looks interesting. How does the in game engine work? Is this pro? Could user defined types not be useful for the engine to interpret from a data file? Im not sure. Hm. Still this looks great.

"It's amazin' what you can do with a computer and access to t'internet"
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 00:41
Yep it's in Pro,
Surprisingly I haven't used types yet in this engine (so maybe it will work in DBC?).
Thanks for the compliment.

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 06:17
i tried runing the code you had on the rgt forums in dbc it didnt work, so i worke don it a bitan di got half the map visible but it would freeze, so i gave up. i think for my programming knowledge itd be better in array format, but i dont have dbpro anyway i've already got my map set up anyway i just gotta learn how to have a moving sprite above that etc.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 10:10
I have moved to an array format now and it works much better. All those data lines made my head hurt!

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 01:13 Edited at: 5th Sep 2003 01:13
Couple more screenshots...have changed the tool box a little now. They are also now dynamically resizing.

http://www.tinywars.dsl.pipex.com/images/map_3.jpg
http://www.tinywars.dsl.pipex.com/images/map_4.jpg

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 05:06
the tiles still seem to overlap and not tesselate properly, can you make a screen of th etiles i sent you just so i can see if they worked neatly or wether i have to fix them too?

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 10:27
Here's a screenshot using just your tile template. They look fine to me (but then I've never been much of a perfectionist!).

http://www.tinywars.dsl.pipex.com/images/map_5.jpg

Could you do me some more tiles? The mountain one's were excellent.

I need:
Grass
Plains
Desert
Jungle
Tundra
Water

The gem resource was good too (good do with being a tiny bit smaller though). Any chance of a few more?

Beavis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 12:32
You have error in your drawing function. Look on tiles, they are not in one line....
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 16:27
This is for a game like Civ3, right? I luv Civ3!!! make it!! oh, and lookin good so far

Got a knack for finding secrets??? Jingot Racing --- A new brand of Racing --- Only from Nightwatch Studios

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 16:31
great start so far mate, keep it up.

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 17:08 Edited at: 5th Sep 2003 17:09
@Mattman, Indi
Thanks for the encouragement!

I was initally just going to make the map editor to help me make maps for my Civ3 clone quickly but I am now altering it so that anyone can use it (so long as they use my core engine (or something similar) in their game to interpret the map file).

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 05:44
sure thing doc, i've been a way for a bit but i can easily convert all my map tiles to your size format. should have them done in by tonight or tomorrow.

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 21:54
Thanks Rob...really appreciate it. I'll make sure people know that the majority of the artwork is done by yourself

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 07:25
its ok, most of it isnt done by myself, i just get pre made textures then use photoshop to transform them into iso tiles, i don't think thats a crime, but i will check it out just incase before i send them to you, it shouldnt be cause they are textures the darkbasic site gives. (though the gems were from ultima online, so i might remake you a gem one)

FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 16:38 Edited at: 16th Sep 2003 16:39
Just in case anyone wasn't aware, I have now released the second public beta (version 0.95) of the editor (now called IsoME). You can download it from below:

http://www.basementfactory.com/isome/downloads.html

Check out the users guide I made at my forums by clicking below. It not only explains how to use the editor but also how you can use IsoME to create maps to use in your own DB (Pro or Classic) projects:
http://basementfactory.com/forums/index.php?s=8a436ea89462e93e0f99c3252e028cb7&act=ST&f=9&t=36

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 17:42
Looks great Field Doc, I love Isometric games - it's nice to see they're still popular.

Could you do me and Uberwigget a big favour by sharing a little 2D to Iso code - I'm adding collision to his Iso engine and haven't had time to work on grabbing the tile number from a specified 2D location (i.e. mouse position). I'm thinking that it involves reversing the tile position equation.

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 18:16
Sure thing Van. I think Uberwiggett is using the same basis for the tile engine as I am (Zen's core engine). When I get home tonight i'll send you my mouse recognition code that should work seemlessly with Uberwiggett's engine.

You should be able to drop your tiles into IsoME's /Tiles folder and build some city maps for Syndicate then export them using the .txt format. That way Uberwiggett (or you) can use the map.dat file for your game.

I'll be improving IsoME to support tile transitions next and walls, so that will also probably be useful for Syndicate.

In return, do you think one of you two could help me out with some sprite movement when I get to that stage of my strategy game in the future?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 18:31
Great! - no worries on the sprite movement, the code I did for Rob is handled by setting the character destination array to the new destination, it takes care of itself from there (although no pathfinding unfortunately) - I'm sure Rob can even supply a sprite (I have a little marine too that is setup with a walking animation in 8 directions isometric).

Van-B

My cats breath smells of cat food.
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2003 22:07
I have emailed you the code Van B. If you need any help, etc just let me know.

FieldDoc,

Wiggett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2003 04:15
i'll throw in a sprite if i can doc, but if its ripped from another game do you mind? cause i only have photoshop working (ms paint wont open) and i cant draw too well in photoshop, so my hand drawn sprites wont look any good. but i will see what i can do, an di will continue towork on teh tiles for ya

Rwilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2003 07:31
I've heard mention of a "core engine" by someone of the name of Zen several times within this post. Having taken a look at IsoME and realizing that I would very much like to use it, could someone point out where I could get this Core Engine?
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 11:05
FieldDoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2003 11:07 Edited at: 2nd Oct 2003 11:12
Ah heck, here's the code:

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 04:58:29
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 04:58:29