Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / smoke particle generator?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
Some years ago I use to have a smoke sequence (several images that make a whole smoke animation), I was wondering if there is any smoke/particle sequence generator that could build images usable with the GDK, maybe with plains used as particles or even single sprites, I looked through the forums and found nothing, not even a single smoke sequence, anyone has seen something like this? thanks for any help in finding this.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 00:23
You could use GDK Particles, and texture them with a smoky texture, you would need to setup the emissions and velocity etc of them, but it would work...

You could also roll your own, like you said, using Plains... there is a tutorial somewhere in the dbpro forums about making a particle engine, i cant remember where though, a search should get you it.... i think it was written by a user called Phaelax from memory, but may be wrong.

Also, if you dont mind spending some money, you could purchase darkPhysics and use it's emitters, they are a litle better than the native GDK ones....

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
asdronin
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah nice, thanks Mista Wilson, will try your ideas, I am also wondering about the animation sequences, nowadays nobody uses them? Those use to be useful for that too, I was thinking about combining this with full ilumination to avoid my other trouble, you know those are like 9 or 12 images that are the path of a smoke particle from its gheneration to its disapearance.
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 05:52 Edited at: 27th Aug 2009 05:53
You could also try out magic particles. Personally I think its easier to use than the GDK particles and allows you to preview everything before you save the file to use in your program. The only problem is its solely 2 dimension and the example program for GDK renders everything over the 3D scene, so youd end up writing your own routines to grab the image and texture it onto a plane.

http://gdk.thegamecreators.com/?f=magic_particles

asdronin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Luke810, I never tried this myself, just downloaded and opened a sample, and its looking pretty cool indeed =), will try as you said tomorrow, as for now just tried one sample and not even tried to convert/export the effects, but indeed could be very useful. After reading briefly the info (its too late here to read in depth) I think it renders to several images, right? then as you suggested I believe writting my own functions for grabbing and texturing will me much better, I got the gdk wrapper too but havent checked that one yet.

Oh one more thing, it crashed twice on my machine that is running with Vista, maybe is due to this?
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
magic particles is pretty useless as it is today. until they provide a render to a texture example. the 3d version will come later on this year i think.
asdronin
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, as I have tested it more in depth... I have seen that with full version one can render the sequence to multiple images, of course whenever they release the 3d version that would be much better
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2009 00:11
Quote: "Oh one more thing, it crashed twice on my machine that is running with Vista, maybe is due to this?"

That's not just because of Vista. I've used it on my Vista computer without any problems so it probably has to do with something else.

asdronin
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks I will keep on testing this anyway, looks cool, thanks =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:27:54
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:27:54