Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Heightmaps and Precision: Quick question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 03:07 Edited at: 27th Aug 2009 03:11
Hi, I just had a quick question about heightmap .bmps:

Is it possible/allowed to create and use a heightmap with more than 256 graduations (aka, 16-bit .bmps), specifically for use with DarkGDK and it's A.T. feature, but if it's feasable in general somehow it would be much appreciated to know.

I'm needing fairly precise graduation but also huge elevation changes, ideally in a single map file, but we're just trying to figure out the best way to do that.

Also, if it is possible and anyone knows how to get that kind of detail in photoshop (even setting it to 16-bits per channel only shows 256 degrees of graduation on each of the RGB channels in the colour picker, no matter if I'm in grayscale, RGB, CMYK, whatever), that would be awesome to know, too!

Thanks a lot!
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 20:15 Edited at: 26th Oct 2009 20:16
BlitzTerrain (soon to be available for GDK) features this.

BlitzTerrain will use both ways at the same time. This is the code it uses to get a height from the heightmap.

height=(Red+Green/255.0+Blue/65535.0)*YScale

As you can see, this will work fine with the old, greyscale heightmaps. But will allow you to add extra detail into the terrain if you want.

It is possible to do this in Advanced terrain though. But you might have to look into vertexdata and change it yourself.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 16:42:43
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 16:42:43