Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Breakout! - 2D arcade game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2009 16:09 Edited at: 1st Sep 2009 16:53
This is a little game I made based on the arcade game Breakout!
It is a very simple game that involves bouncing a ball against a block with a paddle. Every time the ball hits the block, a chunk of block is removed. Keep going until you have cut away to one of the holes on the otherside.

The contols are left and right arrow keys to move the paddle, and p to pause the game
(space bar is used for continuations such as whilst the game is paused or when it is over etc.)

I have also embedded a couple of cheat keys, but unless you discover them by chance, you have to wait until you complete the game to find out what they are!

Have fun and tell me what you think!

There is no such thing as "Too Fast!"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I was impressed by the sounds and graphics - reminded me of all those days playing Intellivision. But then I realized, the game doesn't actually work. The ball goes straight through the green area and then moves on the the next level. Also, you tried to pass off a slowdown bug as a special cheat code...

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, i know, but i did say the slowdown 'cheat' was a side effect. Also, what do you mean by "The ball goes straight through the green area..."? I've never had a problem with that if you're talking about it not bouncing off the green block...

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 01:43 Edited at: 31st Aug 2009 01:43
Quote: "Also, what do you mean by "The ball goes straight through the green area..."? I've never had a problem with that if you're talking about it not bouncing off the green block..."

The ball literally does what I said. Here's a pic:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2009 17:07 Edited at: 31st Aug 2009 19:35
Oh really? ive never had any probem with that... its using point statments for the block bouncing:

if point(int(bx#)+2,int(by#)-5)=65280 or point(int(bx#)+2,int(by#)+10)=65280

bx# being ball x#
by# being ball y#

Thats one of the bounce detector lines. any ideas for the cause of the bug?

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
I just tried the point() function and my computer seems to return an entirely different color value for green.

Rapidrory
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2009 13:35 Edited at: 2nd Sep 2009 00:54
Ah, that'll be where the problem is... I'll edit it tonight so it'll work on any computer:
(eg: if point(int(bx#)+2,int(by#)-5)=greenpointnum)

greenpointnum=green point number of the computer it is running on..

Edit: I've replaced the download with the new, debuged version...

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Works perfectly now You've made a nice, fully functional game here. Looking forward to your next project!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 10:32:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 10:32:18