I am a huge fan of retro 2d games so I had to try this!
Overall it's a good project IMO, fun, with much potential and some leaks.
My two cents:
- great retro feeling!
- excellent enemy waves movement
- retro styled sound fx!
- good mix between galaga, asteroids and gyruss
- good energy handling (down at a hit, auto increasing) no random deaths
- a bit too chaotic with the asteroids in. IMO the game would be far better without them (only a gyruss-galaga mix which is a great mix!)
- more powerups needed! never leave the player with the single fire at higher levels!
I made my way into level 9 playing well but then after a minute or so the game went crazy at super speed and I lost all my 5 lives within 30 seconds! Is that a bug?
I know this is the original concept, but if you leave out the asteroids and keep the gyruss-galaga mix alone, with much more powerups and a wider screen that allows more movement both to the player and the enemies it would be a really cool and much more enjoyable game.
Good job anyway!