Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / GUI Help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all,
I am new to DB and recently purachased the Dark Game Studio since it was such a good deal. Anyway, I have been wanting to port an old text game that I wrote in Pascal several years ago and update it with a nice GUI. I have searched the Forums for anything GUI related and have had no luck. I have Extends but cant find any helpful examples and I found BlueGUI but dont want to spend any more $$ right now. It doesnt have to be anything fancy I just want something to make a point and click interface on the screen and i would probably have several different screens. And the ability to display lots of information to the user. If that makes any sense. Just as an example I am thinking of the different stations that would exist on a starship. i.e. Command, Helm, Navigation, Science, Engineering, etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dark Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 03:05
Wait, did I hear Port? lol, Jk.

Anyhoo, erm.....before we can help you, We know u recently got DGStudio, but which langauge are you actually using?

(\__/) HHAHAHAHAHAH!
(O.o ) / WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!
(> < )
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 03:39
You don't have to use BlueGUI to track mouseclicks within areas on a screen.

Check out this thread:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156017&b=1

ascii2k9
Years of Service
User Offline
@Dark Dragon - Yes, you heard port ..as in port from Pascal to BASIC. Which language? I guess that would be Dark Basic Professional...

@Grog Grueslayer - Thanks for the link. That does help a little but I was wanting a little more than just buttons. Any other suggestions?
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 11:34
Hey, a Pascal coder. I think that makes 3 of us now on the forum!

[url="http://www.nocleanfeed.com"][/url]
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 07:17
Quote: "@Grog Grueslayer - Thanks for the link. That does help a little but I was wanting a little more than just buttons. Any other suggestions?"

The buttons are only there are a reference so people know where to click... in a Sierra Online like game the areas to click are not so obvious sometimes.

Like if you want a certain area to display text if the mouse is in it (like over an object) the mouseover routine can be used to display the name of the object.

If you show a door in the background image you can use the mouseclick routine to open the door when the user clicks within the area around the door.

The button holding with a timer routine could be used to hit switches in the game that only allow the switch to be activated again after a specific delay.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe make the interface transparent to show the different rooms like this one....

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 16:36:09
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 16:36:09