Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / BuildTerrain error and other questions.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 15:39 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 15:40
Now i finished some of the basics of my game, but now i try to make the terrain load, so i got this code:

and this is there error i get:

Is there something i am doing wrong or do i need to change some things??

and my other question:

Is it possible to make a MMORPG with GDK???
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 16:17

You are using an incorrect format to load your media.... you are passing " // " which is incorrent. You can either pass the forward slash " / " on its own, or the double backslash " \\ " to achieve the same thing. There is no difference as far as the compiler will be concerned.

I assume your exception error is related to the Advanced Terrain trying to texture or apply a heightmap(more than likely the heightmap) that doesnt exist.

TO answer you question :
Quote: "Is it possible to make a MMORPG with GDK??? "

Yes. But it is ALOT more work than it sounds like, and it seems 99% of people who start one never finish simply because of the complexity, I dont think that I have EVER seen one completed now that I think about it lol....(lots of small server/client apps with cubes for players floating around here though ) If you want to make an MMO I would suggest using something other than GDK for your first try, perhaps one of the specifically designed "MMO Designer" application, I think "RealmCrafter" and "HeroEngine" were developed for MMO's and there are a few others around too..

The reason, is that if you use GDK, you start with NOTHING... a blank slate, no code, no framework, no server, no client, no database, no nothing except the Visual Studio IDE and DarkGDK's functions. On the other hand, MMO Designer apps, while fairly generic generally, have the entire basic framework there for you to build on top of and learn from, making the whole things alot easier to get going.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2009 17:02 Edited at: 4th Sep 2009 17:21
Okay, but they cost money so its not an option ( i mainly am trying to make a place where i can put my fantasy in, my brother suggested to make an MMO of it. )

And its not completly true that i start with nothing, i had an wow private server for quite some time and the database is failry easy to make. Its just that the server client connection seems like alot of work. But thanks for your help.

[Edit] So i tried what you said and i still get the error. Here my code now:

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
So, right now i'm trying to make like a welcome screen where you can put your username and passoword in, and go into options menu etc. But I got some questions about how to make this:

1. I think about making the layout in PhotoShop, but i have no idea how to make the buttons clickable and how to let them pop up a menu. Does this need an if statement or is there another code to directly to that kind of stuff.

2. I know how to make a user put in a tekst of its own ( using cin etc. ) but how do i place it in the right place and does that command work with DarkGDK.

3. I decided to make an MMO of it, and now i'm only trying to make a login service, thats all. But how would i need to connect to the internet and connect with an IP address, i thought about using a seperate file ( like realmlist.wtf ) to find the IP.

For now thats all, as a sort of reference, i'm using ArcEmu's private server to see how they did it.

I hope you guys can help me with this.

Isocadia.
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Does no one have an answer to these questions?? Cause I don't know the right techniqe to make my layout, but i would like to continue making my game ( like the menu's and icon's and make them clickable etc. )
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
1. Cut up your menu layout into several sprites. Make a sprite out of each button image to display them on the screen. Then check the mouse coordinates to see which of them was clicked, or you can make a sprite for the mouse cursor as well and test sprite collision.

Sometimes code snippets for a similar purpose pop up on the forum when somebody writes a pushbutton class, you can search the threads. Yes, you have to write the code yourself to make the buttons do something.

2. "cin" won't work with Dark GDK because that is console command and Dark GDK is a graphical environment. To implement user input, experiment with the Dark GDK input, text positioning and printing commands (dbInKey, dbText, dbInput, for example). The other option is a Windows API dialog box.

3. No idea. There is an on-line multiplayer plugin called DarkNet which is designed for this purpose. You can find more info in a sticky on top of this forum.
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mireben:

1. Right now i'm making some sort of background and different sprites for the buttons, so i hope i will get it to work. And thanks for pointing out sprite collision, think i'm gonna use that.

2. Oke, will see if it works.

3. I already thought about darknet, my only problem is that i can't spend money on this game, so i will need to find another way, right now i think i have found a way to connect to a server and make one using some library's that come with ArcEmu. But still thanks.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 17:15
There is a free library similar to though with less features than DarkNet, its called MultiSync and it comes with a GDK version. You can find it's thread in either the WIP or Program Announcement forums. It may be easier to use that, its not specific TO DarkGDK, you can use it in any C++ program, but its designed to work alongside DarkGDK intuitively, much as DarkNet is.

There are lots of thread in the forums about GUI's aswell, if you do a few searches you should be able to find a heap, some may be dbpro based, but there isnt anything that dbpro can do that gdk cant so porting over the ideas shouldnt be too hard.

Hope this helps

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I gave up on the terrain a little while, but now, when I'm trying to debug the example terrain from the tutorials folder, when the window appears I get an error box saying 6. When I close it VS says:

And then I break it, and then it breaks at dbSync. I tried putting it in different void, and there it breaks at BuildTerrain. It seems as if it breaks at the last line of code of the void it is in.

I Hope someone will help me fiz this problem, else I will need to find another way of making my terrain.

Isocadia
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
I got the "6" error when it couldn't load the images from which the terrain should have been constructed. Check if the images are in the correct directory. Check if the program can find the image files (e.g. with dbFileExist).
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
That fixed it, the file was called map, in code it was map2 xD

Thanks for yuor help.

Isocadia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:29:12
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:29:12