Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Opium's Poppy

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 03:29 Edited at: 7th Sep 2009 16:38
Hey everyone, just wanted to showcase some screens of a DBP game I've been working on over the Summer. It's been my first real attempt at creating a complete project from start to finish in DBP, and there's still lots to do but it's getting there.

The game is set in Victorian times, and you take the role of a young woman named Poppy, who has been administered with a heavy dose of Laudanum (Opium Tincture) by an unknown predator. The object of the game is to navigate a decaying Victorian house, searching for symbols on the walls in your hallucinating state, which bring about flashbacks and hopefully allow you to identify your attacker. Movement in the game is key, if you stay idle too long, you hallucinate further and put yourself at risk of the worst effects. Keeping moving prevents the worst of it.

Obviously the game has drug references, but as a note I have cleared this with VanB and he gave me the okay considering the game does not promote drug abuse.

Basic Menu (Background is a video, using my own ink sketch and old film video effects):

Interaction with a symbol (details of each all held in arrays):

Some of the interior of the house (all modelled by me in anim8or, and imported into FPSC to make use of the lighting):

Basic hallucination (earlier screen than the others):

Still to do:
-Sound effects and audio hallucination
-Drawings to use for the cutscenes/interactions (all going to concept art style rather than animation)
-Finish the house model
-Implement the 3D HUD properly and make it compatible with any screen resolution (resolution can be changed via a text file currently)
...and a few other bits I'll have forgotten...

>>> Early gameplay video here <<<

Been a heck of a learning experience, I hope you all like the screens,
Paul

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 03:31 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 11:28
screen two..

Attachments

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 03:32 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 11:28
screen three..

Attachments

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 03:34 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 11:28
screen four..

That's all for now,
Paul

Attachments

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 03:38
Those are some neat pics. And the game idea seems interesting as well.

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
CSGames94
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Those are some neat pics. And the game idea seems interesting as well."
I agree, game sounds very interesting and a lot of detail in those images!
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 07:13
looks and sounds very interesting & i like the style. how about a video clip?

btw, the poppy sketch reminds me of alyssa milano... not a bad thing, at all, in my book

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 11:25 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 11:28
Thanks for the comments and compliments, I'll try and get a video uploaded tonight if I get time. There's still a lot to sort out with the hallucination effects, but it'll give you a better idea

Cheers,
Paul

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Ace buddy, just one big ace. And it really looks orignally, really nice.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 14:10
Easy Paul...

Are you the Paul that used to make (very Dark) stuff on the FPSC boards? If so then welcome to DBpro!

The game is looking very promising! I love the concept, although from your description I couldn't really tell if it was puzzles, or more of a maze thing. Or a murder mystery (except without the murder), more of an 18th Century version of "who put a roofie in my pint?"

Anyway, it's looking good.

I want robotic legs.
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 15:43
Really cool concept, and I love the style of your artwork, its really unique, and thats something you dont see often in games these days, everybody seems to want go crazy with shader effects and what not.... its refreshing to see something like this, where the idea itself is one of the major drawcards, along with the visual style.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 15:49
I've got to agree with the other posters, it's a nice concept and features nice art, judging from the available screenies.

Lifeless is still being worked on tough, right?

-Doomster

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 17:41
Original concept, I'll be watching this to see where it goes. Good luck as well, I know how hard it is to finish a project, especially your first one.

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 18:05
Wow looks pretty awesome.

[href]http://sites.google.com/site/chargedstudios/home[href]
"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
An interesting idea.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 18:24
Ooh, very impressive: it looks like it has a great atmosphere! The artwork and the hallucinations look to be really intriguing.

The one thing that stuck out, though, is that the main character is a bit bright for someone who's inside a dark house. I know introducing dynamic lighting might be rather difficult, but perhaps you could darken the texture, or lower the light level of the character model? Off the top of my head, I think the relevant command is "set object light" or something.

But that's just a niggle: overall, I'm really looking forward to playing this

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2009 19:42 Edited at: 5th Sep 2009 19:44
Quote: "Are you the Paul that used to make (very Dark) stuff on the FPSC boards? If so then welcome to DBpro!

The game is looking very promising! I love the concept, although from your description I couldn't really tell if it was puzzles, or more of a maze thing. Or a murder mystery (except without the murder), more of an 18th Century version of "who put a roofie in my pint?""

That's me

I know the gameplay description was a bit brief, but basically, you wake up on the street after being dumped by a sort of carriage taxi. All you can remember about how you got there is an encounter with a creepy individual at a bar.

The enemy in the game is the creepy predator figure, but for the most part they are hidden and simply a prescence, and by keeping on the move you prevent being attacked further.

Symbols appear on the walls from your hallucinations, which need to be found and interacted with (by "using" the symbol when near, a small fragment flashback in the form of a concept art piece appears on the wall instead). The purpose is to keep moving and identify your unknown attacker, before they attack you.

Quote: "I know introducing dynamic lighting might be rather difficult, but perhaps you could darken the texture, or lower the light level of the character model?"

Outside the house is pure white, from the apparent hallucinations (I was aiming for the effect of bright lights on your eyes during a hangover or migraine), so darkening the texture would seem a bit off. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll look into changing the object light when the character moves into the house That would seem like my best bet considering the tight deadline to get this done!

Thanks for all the kind words,
Paul

Valle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 20:54
story sounds awesome!

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 16:36
Thanks, I've now added a link to a video in the first post if anyone's interested

Paul

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 18:18
that music was unbearable, i hiope that won't be in the final game

some have greatness thrust upon them - W. Shakespeare
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 18:48
Just watched the video. My thoughts:

Good things:
- The hallucinations were really impressive. The coloured/grey house in a sea of blinding white was particularly striking, and the blurry effect with the ghosts later on was really nice.
- It feels like you've got just enough indie-ness while still keeping it polished. The use of sketches and photographs (like the Opium prescription before you start) adds a nice "home-made" touch to it, but without making it feel cheap: instead, it adds to the game.

Bad things:
- Music was kind of hallucinatory, but I think something with more strings and echoey sounds would work much better. I think something more Victorian would fit the mood much better. My first instinct was to try something like Vernian Process: http://www.myspace.com/vernianprocess (try Vagues de Vapeur) but I think you'd need something more off-kilter.
- The walking animation seemed kind of strange. A little slow, I think, and I think her arms may have been at a slightly unusual angle.

Also, I can see what you mean about not making the character model darker, now I've seen the outside

Secretary of Unknowable Knowledge for the Rock/Dink administration '08
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 19:18
Looks like a very well conceived project, interesting plot and the visuals are really quite unique, great work.

I have to agree about the music though, personally I think something more melodic but haunting would be cool, strings as Darth Kiwi says - but then have some disturbing loops that you can load as sounds and mess with panning and volume. If you have some sweeps and strange noises you could fade them in and out depending on what is happening, would give a more atmospheric feel. For instance imagine if those dark ghosts emitted a 3D sound each, like a high pitched squeel but low volume - people with surround sound would have a whole other experience I think. The backing sound could be a really simple string piece, maybe throw in some bad notes to add to the character (like the music is being played wrong for a short time, kinda remind the player that things are not quite normal).

There are some really nice samples at freesound.org, lots of atmospheric stuff. Been tredging that place myself, kinda makes me wish I had more skills to use it properly. The main thing is that people upload there so we can go and nab it for free, the quality is not limited in order to sell sample packs, pretty awesome site all-in-all.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 19:23
Yeah I've been there.
Paul, drop me an email at peanutbutterfingers@gmail.com
If you're up for some collab, I'd be down to help out (specially as you're on a tight deadline).

This has got an Umbra-y tip and I like it. As I said dude, let me know.

I want robotic legs.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 19:47
re: the vid's music:
i didn't dislike the soundtrack as much as others; if it sets a mood you want the player to experience, then i works for me. the fact that it's effected (perhaps) "negative" response says it might have produced what you've set out to accomplish

the track Darth Kiwi suggested does seem very appropriate, too (especially the first ~40 seconds before it goes into a more "contemporary" sound), but, again, you know best as far as what you want the player to experience.

also, you mentioned a "tight deadline" so i strongly suggest enlisting some of the very talented musicians (and general sound gurus) on the Music & Sound FX board. you've got a solid start here and i'd hate to see it go unfinished because you ran out of time (myspace, as suggested, is also a good source for pre-made music. i'm sure you could find a number of musicians who would love to be on your soundtrack (and in the credits) ).

and, finally, re: sound/music, it appears the main character will be talking to herself quite a bit throughout the game (as in the second screenshot above, "Such a hideous face..."). i'd like to see the text moved to the bottom of the screen, a la subtitles, and perhaps you could find a female to do some basic voiceover work. hearing Poppy whisper thoughts to herself would lend a lot to the overall player experience, in my opinion.

i'll leave it at that, for now. i'm anxious to see your progress here, obviously. thanks for the video and keep up the good work!

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 23:37 Edited at: 7th Sep 2009 23:38
Quote: "that music was unbearable, i hiope that won't be in the final game"

Haha, the music track of the video is "Ventolin" by Aphex Twin. It certainly won't be in the game since I'd probably get sued, but on the other hand the music I have planned won't be very cheery to say the least.

Quote: "For instance imagine if those dark ghosts emitted a 3D sound each, like a high pitched squeel but low volume - people with surround sound would have a whole other experience I think. The backing sound could be a really simple string piece, maybe throw in some bad notes to add to the character (like the music is being played wrong for a short time, kinda remind the player that things are not quite normal)."

Really like the idea of the ghost noises. The current sound idea I have planned involves a John Carpenter style beat constantly in the background (think of the opening to "The Thing"), but other elements of the "music" will sound depending on hallucination level. I plan to use very low frequency background noise to unsettle the player, with random shrill noises and what not as you hallucinate further.

Quote: "hearing Poppy whisper thoughts to herself would lend a lot to the overall player experience, in my opinion. "

I actually hadn't thought of that I'll bear that in mind. I have a friend lined up to do some sound work for it, which is irrelevant to my deadline since it's just my own work that I need to get tied up before I leave. It may delay the release for a while while I await the music and sounds, but there won't be any pressure on my part.

Forgot to add:
The animations for Poppy are from the standard FPSC skeleton, I haven't had time to make any of my own for her. If I have time I'll maybe try and work on some, but it's a fairly decent placeholder for now

Thanks for all the other comments and links, looks like I'm in for a busy night

Paul

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 15:36
*jumps up and down waving arms*

I make IDM/glitch music and would be happy to give you a bounce down of a track as it's separate elements (bass, string, drums etc) so that you can play all the elements separately.

I want robotic legs.
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 22:40 Edited at: 9th Sep 2009 15:20
Quote: "I make IDM/glitch music and would be happy to give you a bounce down of a track as it's separate elements (bass, string, drums etc) so that you can play all the elements separately."

Feel free to send me some samples at:

I'd be glad to check them out

Paul

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 14:06
What is IDM/Glitch music Butter?

The broken music style, like where it might drop down to the wrong octave is fairly rare, only know of 2 songs that are like that, but I just think it would suit a game soundtrack perfectly, it kinda forces the listener to change perspective but it's very subtle. Anyhoo I was just wondering if that's what Butters meant, as I'd like to know what it was actually called when they do that.

The only examples I am aware of are a song they often use in Top Gear on the BBC, sounds a bit like an old music box winding down. The other one is Queens of the Stoneage's 'Make it wit chu' - at about 1 min 5 it drops the octave or whatever. Dunno why but I just like that technique, it's like standing looking at an amazing painting, then someone comes along and tilts the frame by 8 degrees, so it instantly becomes skewed and wrong, and the perception changes with it.

Only posting because that Queens song came on winamp and it made me think of this thread .

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 19:01
Keith, IDM is (and I know how pretentious it sounds..) Intelligent Dance Music. Which means not looping the same 4 bar loop for 5 minutes. Somthing more like
THIS
or
THIS

Glitch is a description of how the drums and other effects are applied. Sort of how sometimes in a drum and bass track the snares will stutter but each subsequent stutter pitches the snare slightly higher, so it seems to play a melody. This could be used on the piano to give the same kind of effect you are talking about.
Hope that helps!

Paul, I'll drop you some tracks tonight!

I want robotic legs.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2009 23:40
i never bump threads expecting OP's will update when they're good and ready, BUT... please tell me this hasn't been shelved? it's one of the more unique projects and i'm hoping development continues.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 22:44
Yeah, I'll second that motion - I want to see more of this! What's been going on with it!

I want robotic legs.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2009 02:20
I'll third that motion. This looked great.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks Great Buddy, Keep this up!

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 15:08
Hey guys.
This project isn't dead, merely delayed, as I have started my university course and have spent very little time on the computer over the last few weeks. I have plenty of work to do for my courses, and this has had to go on the backburner for a period.

@Butters, I never recieved any emails from you, did you send me any of your glitch music? Don't worry if you haven't, I just don't want to have missed it if you did indeed send some through.

Best,
Paul

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 16:54
Mmm, yeah I sent it but never heard anything back, it must've bounced!!
I'll send it again when I get home.

I take it what you mean is, you started freshers week and can't really remember the last 2 weeks

I want robotic legs.
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2009 03:21
Hey guys, just a small update, and a bump to stop this being locked by the 3 month locking system:

I've been busy at Uni since September, but my semester exams are pre-christmas. I've already sat 2 of 3, and am finished for the Christmas holiday next Wednesday. I will get more work done on this game then, hopefully get it close to finished by the new year.

Butters, I never got any emails from you. It's cool if you're busy with your games, but if you're willing to help with the music drop me a message.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2009 04:40 Edited at: 18th Dec 2009 04:44
Exams over, roll on development!

Done quite a lot of work on the house, so heres a quick screenshot of the upstairs landing:

Obviously there'll be a bedroom beyond the white doorway soon!

Paul

Attachments

Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 03:10
Another update: managed to get sprites working for object inspection. Some of the more unusual objects in the house will be interactive, and inspecting them reveals more information.

Paul

Attachments

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 05:53
updates = yum

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 14:45
Looks awesome but the player is too bright

A.K.A djmaster
Paul112
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2009 20:16
I don't think I'm going to get round to adding shaders for the player, but I may do some trickery with her ambience when shes's in the house to try and help that.

Her texture is also still WIP, so should look less lit-up when she's finalised

Thanks for the comments,
Paul

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:49:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:49:37