Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Dark GDK vectors vs. C++ standard library vectors?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm trying to figure out what the advantage is in using Dark GDK vectors? I've been using them lately but I'm starting to think I may as well just use the standard library vector containers. With them they're easier to call (no ID) and I can define them as member variables in classes.

So I'm just wondering why I should be using Dark GDK vectors over those? Let me know, thanks.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2009 23:15
One's a container, the other is a series of values representing lengths across axis in 3/4D space. Of course you'd never use GDK vectors for anything other than where required, such as when passing vectors to shader constants.

Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 00:26
Quote: "such as when passing vectors to shader constants."

Even then I'd be too embarrassed to use them. I'd rather just make my own abstract interface for the shaders and pass my own vectors to that - even if it means extra over-head. Yes, I'm that religious about not using stupid GDK vectors in an OOP environment!

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2009 04:56 Edited at: 7th Sep 2009 04:57
How do you manage to get the ID3DXBaseEffect ptr for any given shader? Unless you can retrieve it once it's applied to an object.

Wait I fail at reading, yeah I do this in my code too, depending on your optimization settings it may get optimized out to be the same anyway.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:30:13
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:30:13