Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Unable to install DGDK.NET

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 15:55
Hi, I just bought DGDK.NET and download it. When I try to install it, the install program fails and then close. I tried to download it again, but the problem is still there.

Is it something more I can do or check? Thanks!
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 20:38
Can you provide your system specification, i.e. Windows version, and more specifically, which version of DirectX you've got installed?

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 01:03 Edited at: 9th Sep 2009 01:33
I'm on Windows XP Pro (french edition, if it does matter) and my directx version is 9.0C

-Edit-
I think it might be in relation with DEP of Windows (Data Execution Prevention) who seems to stop the execution of the exe. I cannot deactivate it but I can add the install.exe in the "safelist", which doesn't seem to fix the problem. Any idea?
-Edit-

Thanks for your help
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2009 03:10
Chess,

Ok, I'm unsure as to why the installer won't run, but it's quite possible that you're running an Antivirus product such as Norton Antivirus or Semantic. Can you partially disable the virus guard tool or what ever version you are running and tell me if the setup application runs?

We will crack the problem I'm sure, it's just that your system may contribute to a situation that has not been tested against.

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 00:33
I do use Avast, the free version. I disabled it and the install program still doesn't work.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2009 01:41
Can you go into more detail as to exactly what the Install program does during install? Like does it error or does it show any kind of feedback?

It's just very hard to diagnose the problem as I've not been made aware of other users having the same problem.

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 00:40 Edited at: 11th Sep 2009 00:41
I do launch the install.exe and when I get to this screen

I click on "Next" button and then I get this screen (sorry, it is in french)

Which says that Windows close the application for security reason. And then, I get this (final) screen

This is the situation when I let the Windows "Data Execution Prevention" program manage the bad applications by itself. If I ask the "Data Execution Prevention" to be custom, with the install.exe program in the safelist, I have the same problem at the same moment, exept for the second screen which doesn't appear at all.

I do hope it will help you...
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 16:49
Ok,

Two possibilities that did come to mind.

1. Temporarily change your Windows Culture settings from French to English UK and see if this helps during the installation process. It may be possible that a language resource error or something is happening possibly.

2. WHen you get to the screen where the installer asks you for installing for Just you or Everyone, have you tried 'Everyone' yet?

Try this, but if it still fails, then I may need you to install a tool that can help debug the installer.

Regards,

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 00:46
1. How can I do that ?

2. Already tried but still doesn't work.

Thank you for the time you use to help me. It is very apreciated.
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 13:38
Chess,

To change the language setting, go into Control Panel / Regional and Language options. Change your system culture from French to English (United Kingdom) It's just temporary to see if the installer will run.

Paul

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 17:16
The problem is still there..
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 22:22
Can you switch your Data Execution Prevention system so that you only apply this to Essential Windows Programs and services only.

(Top option)

And try the installer again

I cannot understand what else would cause the Setup installer to break the way it does.

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 07:03
I've already tried this and it doesn't work either. I also tried the install.msi and the install.exe, without any success.

You spoke earlier of a tool that can help debug the installer?
Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 20:04 Edited at: 13th Sep 2009 20:10
I have completely disabled the "Data Execution Prevent" following these steps http://www.zensoftware.co.uk/kb/article.aspx?id=10002 and the problem is still there..

If I click on "More information about this error", I get this message:

AppName: msiexec.exe
AppVer: 4.5.6001.22159
ModName: msihnd.dll
ModVer: 3.1.4001.5512
Offset: 0036935

Hope this can help..?
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 21:32
Chess, The tool I spoke of is Dependency Walker:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

This will not actually help because the Setup application is running. The tool normally finds dependency DLLs that are missing on your system. What I think may be happening, is that you may need to install the Windows Installer v3.1 component incase the version on your system is out of date.

http://www.microsoft.com/DownLoads/details.aspx?familyid=889482FC-5F56-4A38-B838-DE776FD4138C&displaylang=en

I cannot for the life of me figure out why you're having this problem. Can you download and install the Windows Installer 3.1 redistributable from the Microsoft site given above and tell me if this resolves the problem?

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 23:28 Edited at: 14th Sep 2009 05:25
I got a message telling me that my version is currently up to date. Apparently, the Windows Installer is not the problem.

Is it another way I can install DGDK.NET? I don't know, maybe in copying files and registering dll manually?

-Edit-
I really think it may be a problem with the installer because I've tried to install it on a different directory and when I click "Browse", the installer crashes.
-Edit-
APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 23:20
Chess,

Email me and I'll arrange for you to download the toolkit and I'll list a guide of how to manually install the components.

Paul.

Chess
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 01:15
Done, with the email address cerbere0.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 15:31:58
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 15:31:58