Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Flight Programming

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 15:23 Edited at: 14th Oct 2009 14:49
Made a simple flight programming and would like you guys to check it out =)

Edit: ( link )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkiqAm7_80o&feature=channel_page

Not saying im the best or anything, just sharing for fun!

Enjoy
//Chamillion

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 20:41
Neat! I think it would look even better if the model resisted turns a bit more (I have no idea how to do that; I'm trying to learn so much right now myself), but otherwise it had a very nice flow to it imho.

The little "woops" part was also enjoyable.
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
If u could explain the "resisted turns" thing a bit more then maybe i could do that for the next version.

Btw I've already changed the game into a 2 player split-screen missile-added game xD.

So explain the thing and I'll add the function to the multiplayer-game.

Thanks in advance
//Chamillion

You can only get smarter by facing a smarter opponent.
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh i think i got .. U mean whenever i turn to the right or left .. The model would automatically roll back over to the normal angle right?

Ezy to do this tho'

//Chamillion

You can only get smarter by facing a smarter opponent.
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok guys.

Now i've sort of improved this game into a 2-player split screen fighting game.

But I'd ask a question. Why does it always look as if the map is small? No matter how much i increase the size of it, you still see it as small :/

Ill try to become more clear. You know that everything in life is relative, eg. u cant tell some1 he is beautiful until you've seen sum uglier faces ( bad example ), or maybe you couldnt say Cooper is a bad car until u've seen Ferrari Enzo, etc.

So I thought it could be like.. I'll have to remake the map texture or add sum item on the ground so u'll see yourself as if your flying way high in the sky.

So .. any suggestions about that ?

Chamillion

SFCBias
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2009 22:07
have you done dbScaleObject(x,y,z) ? thats what i did and it works just fine.

if(You.AddCode.toPost)TGC.Users.CanHelp = true;
else return NoCodeMessage;
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Just as i said, Scaling the map bigger would only make u feel the plane fly slower, ofc I've tried that :/.

I believe I only got 2 options left here;
Either 1: Create sum random stuff on the ground making you get the exact relativity between the plane and the ground.

Either 2: Play a bit on the map's texture( Add sum more details, which would later on look very small 'especially' since your flying high >.< )

Thank ye anyway mate

Chamillion

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
@Chamillion: Well, I'm trying to do the same thing as you, cause I'm making a game based on Space Cowboy. But what happens to me is that when I turn my "plane" left or right, my camera stays behind it. But when I'm going up or down. My camera doesn't follow it but stays like horizontal. So is there a way to make my camera turn around the X axis when my plane is going up/down so that it stays behind it??

This is my code for moving the plane ( stil working on the turning left and right ):

And do you know why, when I make a model and load it in GDK, it seems rotated around its axises by 90 to 180 degrees?? For what I see as the back in GDK. I see as the top in blender.

Already thanks for reading this and maybe helping me.

Isocadia
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
"Maybe helping me"

Thats a fo sho.

Easy things first. The model rotation thing.
Yeah, I Think this is just a problem with your exporter. Should be easily solves by rotating the model to the desired direction, export it and then return to the main angle so you can work on it later on. ( Thats what I would do , but in fact, I dont have such a bug since im using 3ds Max )

Second;
My camera programing was a bit cheaty actually .
( Dont tell anyway one!! ) What I did was to put the camera first above the model ( Or behind it somewhere, whatever ) and then first point the camera towards the model, and then move it the same amount of steps as the model - 1. Why that is is because when u later pitch up or down the camera will close in VERY much into the model, so I give it like a small brake with that speed.
Ye ye I know, worst solution ever for this x) but works.

I also thought actually of another way to handle the camera, but I don't really feel for testing it >.<.

What to do is;
Place camera at the same spot as plane;
Rotate camera to same angle as plane;
Move the camera backwards about 1000 units ( Ur decision );

Do that in every loop ( It should be easy to understand ), but of course you wont get the same result as in my version.

Really hope that helps
Chamillion

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2009 10:41 Edited at: 17th Oct 2009 11:11
Thank ou for your help Chamillion. Right now my camera stays behind my camera. But there is a strage thing happing. When pressing d I decrease angle z. So my plane rolls a bit right. But when I made a tunr off 180 degrees on my y axis. When I press d I start turning left. Why am I not continuing to turn right?? ( example, When I press w and d. I make like an infinite sign, instead of a "Tornado" movement. )

Isocadia
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
This was the second biggest problem i had in my game

Listen, dont use "dbRotateObject( . , . )", instead use "dbRollObjectLeft()/dbRollObjectRight()/dbPitchObjectUp()/dbPitchObjectDown()" on the plane.

This will solve all of yo problems.

Chamillion

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, now I understand why. After readiong the documentation. rotate Object rotates around the sxises of the world. roll around the axis of the object.

Thank you alot Chamillion!

Isocadia
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Forum is made to help ppl WITHOUT needing to say thanks

But np, anytime.

Chamillion

Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I think that when someone helped you. You should always thank him. But anyway, good luck with your little appliction and I hope it will become a nice game.

Isocadia

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:29:44
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:29:44