Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / How do I make a really Scary game?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have had FPSC for a while now but when I try to make a scary (Horror) game it just doesn't seem scary, any suggestions?

Jmc
shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 19:09
well, the best way to make scary things in fpsc is SOUND. use audio zones, switches and the like to create that little bit more atmosphere for your games.

i did make a more detailed thing, i think i put it on i am legend, the game's thing.

Can you solve the mystery of bunker 413?
Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 20:00
heres a little noobs guide- here comes a big post!

first things first- set the ambient light to 0, and use lights sparingly. keep the player blinded so things can pop out of the darkness. people are most scared of the darkness, and the unknown, so the less you can expose to the player, the better. make the player scared to walk around every corner. keep the player guessing, make noises in the other direction, the player looks, spawn an enemy behind him. thats scary.

another scary thing is being the hunted instead of the hunter. if you have a player walk through a level, hunting zombies that come at him from the opposite direction. instead, make the player be chased through the level with zombies on his tail.

use ammo sparingly if you even have guns. a really scary part of a scary game is having to encounter the evil closely. if you give the player only melee weapons, they have to get close to the bad thing and get scared.

remember that you will never get scared of your game because you made it, so you know where everything will happen. give the game to a friend and let him be scared out of his mind.

other than coming out of the unknown, creatures spawinig needs to be scary too. it may seem unprofessional at first, but a zombie spawning right in front of you when you feel relatively safe is actually pretty spooky. when trying to scare people, go for an indirect approach; build suspence, let it die down a little, and then scare the living daylights out of them. heres an example:

player walks through a corridor, then another getting progressively darker. sounds are triggering everywhere- whats happening? he finally reaches a corner- at this point, he'll be terrified of whats around the corner... but no- just another long corridor, with a light on shining through the window of a door on the other end. the player sighs, relaxes and begins strolling through the hall as the sounds die away. he hears people voices near him. the player opens the door and walks in to a big, inviting chamber, it's bright in there and it looks like another group of humans will be back in five minutes... now for the scare- a sound is triggered behind the player- making him look behind him- only to see the freshly eaten and regurgitated flesh and skeletons of 4 unlucky humans- the lights go off- an evil zombie moan that sounds almost like a laugh is triggered and then a zombie triggers and falls from the ceiling and rushes the player.

now THAT would scare the player senseless.

a few more of those scares and the player would NEVER feel safe- he'd ALWAYS be in suspense- and hed always be scared.

get the idea?
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 21:47
A simple tip:
spawn monsters with trigger zones and spawn points CLOSE to the trigger zone

A lot of FPSC games show you zombies stumbling around some dozen meters away - thats definitely not scary.

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 23:36
*ahem*

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156864&b=21&p=0

After playing this, you'll understand.

CoZ shader makes great atmosphere as well

If every millisecond in your life was 10 problems in the world, you'd be immortal
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 06:17 Edited at: 12th Sep 2009 06:27
Quote: "I have had FPSC for a while now but when I try to make a scary (Horror) game it just doesn't seem scary, any suggestions?"

Yeah, tell the users it features the latest music by Cher!

Or, use something like this!

Quote: "well, the best way to make scary things in fpsc is SOUND. use audio zones, switches and the like to create that little bit more atmosphere for your games."

Yeah, sounds but make it dark too.
Nothing better for fear than strange noises when you cannot see what is making them.

Quote: "keep the player blinded so things can pop out of the darkness. people are most scared of the darkness"

Yeah, darkness is an element for a primal kind of fear.

JMC
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks a lot for the Help. I'll be sure to check out some of the links. Thanks again.

Jmc
Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 00:29
Real fright comes from the mind.

Absence of visual can often be much more effective at instilling fear, than anything graphically manifested onscreen.

The proverbial pin drop, in a quiet space, can be one hundred times more chilling than a bang or a clang, if it is unexpected.

Plant the seed of anticipation and expectation in the mind of the player, and let it germinate and grow into whatever the player allows it to become.

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 02:06
Yup I think you've got enough info here, checked out the links and thanks Kraven! In fact I did some Google searches of my own and found some more stuff.

Alt Schule sorry but that has to be one of the longest posts I've seen you make and one of the only ones you don't talk like yoda in.

dark peanut

Check out my Ultimate Competition Entry here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153854&b=25 Ultimatum: The Final Deadline

Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 18:49
Obviously, you haven't seen all of my posts.

Your opinion is noted.

Gremlin986
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 19:55 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 13:58
Guys... Why people scare of darkness? In my realm you scare what you saw. Play Resident Evil 4, you will understand. I really hate dark games. You can't see anything.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 20:32
Dark areas doesnt make a scary game, as Gremlin said. You cant see a thing and just get angry at the game.

Do like in SAW, scare the viewer/player with psychic events etc. Turn the players mind outside-in, that way a well lit up game with a lot of bunnies can be more scary than a dark zombie game, if done right.

Good luck!

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Do like in SAW, scare the viewer/player with psychic events etc. Turn the players mind outside-in, that way a well lit up game with a lot of bunnies can be more scary than a dark zombie game, if done right."

Exactly. I mean you can get a scary feeling, WIHTOUT zombies. There is so much you can do.

Alt Schule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 18:09
Darkness: No

Creative Light & Shadow: Yes

A level completely played in poor light becomes boring and frustrating in fairly short order.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 03:53
Darkness is not what makes something scary. Pitch darkness in itself will not instill fear, it will only instill the desire to not move so that you don't bump into anything.

What always instills fear is poor visibility, but enough visibility to make your way around. That in itself isn't enough, though. Allow me to explain.

What makes a scary game scary is anticipation.

Now, this will only work if there is something TO anticipate. If your game has never actually done something startling to the player, they will not anticipate it happening. Show them a corpse ridden against the wall with claw marks nearby to give them the idea that a monster killed that person, or portray a basic creepy storyline to give them an idea of what might jump out at them. Without them KNOWING what to expect, they will not expect anything and the sense of fear is lost.

Also, you cannot simply spawn a zombie next to them all the time and rely souly on startling the player to make them scared. That isn't fear, that is simply a startling thing to do and becomes expected after a while.

You need to promote the sensation that something is about to happen, but design the area in a way that they are expecting it to come from ANYWHERE. If there's only one corner and they know something's going to pop out soon, they know it's coming from around the corner. Same with objects that things can hide behind, or holes in the ceiling. Don't give them a single place for your monster to jump out from, give them a thousand (exaggerated, but a lot anyway) so this way they are not prepared for the direction that something is coming from.

Now after that, don't make it so prompt. I scare myself the most when I'm expecting something to happen and it's not happening when I think it is.
Inform the player in a very subtle way that something is GOING to scare them, but let them sit for a bit and allow their imagination to build up fear. Tell them that something will jump out at them (not directly but make them ANTICIPATE IT) then pose several methods of it happening, yet don't make it happen for a little bit so that they're at the peak of their anticipation.

The art of scaring is not so exact, but it is always best to allow the person to make their own fear. Turn their imagination against them and bring it to a boil just before the actual startling event takes place.

On top of this, atmosphere atmosphere ATMOSPHERE!!! Creepy environment, creepy sounds... the occassional object toppling over behind the player (and very occassionally have something scary actually be the cause of that object falling over, otherwise the player would not be startled by objects falling over)

Now go and make a scary game.

The one and only,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 01:24:36
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 01:24:36