Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / DarkNet Sound Problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have recently had problems with the sound commands in DarkNet. I started the server and everything went well, but when I started the client, and connected to my server locally, I get a problem with Mn Start Output.

The error is:
"An error occurred in MnStartOutput whilst gaining access to an output device at line 117 of file ".\clOutputDevice.cpp"

I have not changed ANY code in the demo. I am running Vista 32 and have tried running this with Admin Privileges.

Any ideas?
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 13:07 Edited at: 14th Sep 2009 13:07
What was the error code? Most likely this error occurred because an output device (e.g. speakers) could not be found.

DarkJohn20
Years of Service
User Offline
Error code 4. Why wouldn't it be able to detect my speakers?

By the way, I am on MSN for the other project I asked you about.
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 12:19
Internally here is what is happening.

DarkNet attempts to use waveOutOpen which is a windows sound command. This fails and returns 4 which means that the device is "already allocated".

I don't know why that is happening, your guess is as good as mine. Most likely there is a driver issue or hardware issue. Update your sound drivers if possible.

The client sound demo automatically selects the default input and output device, maybe this device isn't working properly? Try selecting a different device by changing mnStartOutput(n,-1); to mnStartOutput(n,[A number between 0 and mnGetNumOutputDevices()]);

Let me know how that goes and also:
- Do your speakers work with other applications?
- What sound card do you have?

DarkJohn20
Years of Service
User Offline
Michael, my speakers work with everything else. I just updated my drivers a week or so ago. Not quite sure what sound card I have, but I know its RealTek. I use Realtek HD Audio Manager with it.
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 14:03 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 14:06
Perhaps your sound card doesn't support the sound format being used.

Attached is an exe that will display information about output devices on your computer. The data is saved in a file called "sound device results.txt", please attach this to your next post.

In the simple client sound demo the sound format is default which is 1 channel, 22.05 kHz, 8 bits per sample (medium quality).

Here is the code for the application:

If you want to talk to me directly via MSN then you can leave me offline messages and we can communicate that way. It seems that we are rarely online at the same time

Attachments

Login to view attachments
DarkJohn20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 01:02 Edited at: 17th Sep 2009 02:18
Requested file attatched.

Also, I can't figure out DarkNet + Visual Studio 2010 right now, so I can't really use that.

Also, I have school which is probably why I am not on. Also the fact that I don't get on anyway except for the last time we talked.

Hey, Mike, I would rather contact you by MSN or Email as I would like to keep what I am working on from getting out at the moment.
DarkJohn20
Years of Service
User Offline
Whoops, forgot to attatch:

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:25:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:25:02