Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Install problem on a college network

Author
User Deleted
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 17:33 Edited at: 15th Sep 2009 17:38
Hi, I hope you can help me please.

Our college has installed Dark GDK on a network. When I run MS Visual Studio Express C++, the wizards do not show when you want to start a new project.

Sometime ago, I successfully installed this at home but I havn't been involved in this build at the college.
Can anyone suggest what they have done incorrectly please ??

Thanks

ps I know this is mentioned above but this in on a COLLEGE network
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
You need to copy the Wizards folder from the The Game Creators\DarkGDK\Wizards to you my documents\visual studio folder, there it should work.

Isocadia
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 17:52
The wizards are now visible (thanks) but I now get the .js error mentioned above ??

thanks
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't fully onderstand your problem, cause I don't know what JS error means.

If you can explain what the error box is saying I might be able to help you.
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 20:55
Hi Iso

Sorry, I meant one of the stickies at the top of the forum .. 'Installation'

This is one of the comments:
Quote: "
A bigger problem with the wizard. I wanted to create 3D game project and the wizards says:
"Default.js or default.vbs not found in C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\My Documents\..."
Note that my account name is really *not* Mike!
"

The college PC also this message

Thanks
Isocadia
Years of Service
User Offline
Wierd, I think you might need to reinstall, cause this seems like a problem that occures during installation ( writing the data that is personal per user ). Else I really don't know how you are able to solve this.

Isocadia:

PS: If you find a solution, make sure you post it clearly somewhere, so that other people will be able to find that solution to.
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 21:41
When I installed GDK at home, it worked perfectly and first time.
Although this appeared to be a network based issue, it apparently occurs on home PCs as well so it gives me some hope that if we do reinstall, it may work ???

Thanks anyway
luxgud
User Deleted
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 21:51
Sadly, our network technican decided that he couldn't spend anymore time trying to get Dark GDK to work on the network. It's fustrating for as it worked perfectly at home. They feel that the installation process is too "fragile" and these problems shouldn't be an issue.

It means our students will not be able to experience all the fun I have had with Dark GDK. And for me, all the material I had assembled (including the book advertised on this site) will not now be used

Thank you and goodbye
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 01:10
Its true that the installation process is fragile, I think that its just not designed to be installed over a network automatically... it should be quite an easy task to setup a script that runs on each terminal on startup that pulls the needed files from the server to start GDK projects... I've seen(and helped setup) GDK in an internet cafe, that used a similar method, so it is entirely possible and once the scripts are setup(which it is really the job of a network tech TO do), if they are setup properly, the process should be transparent and completely un-invasive.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
CSTeacher
Years of Service
User Offline
The problem appears to be that upon installation, the system hard codes the path to the scripts which are placed in the My Docs folder of the account used for installation. If anyone knows where the path is stored, maybe we can change it to be flexible. Our lab tech was able to get all the files to follow the profiles and everything looks OK - except that it is looking for the default.js file in someone else's account! I tried a Registry search, but came up empty.
heyufool1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 02:08 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 02:08
Just because the wizards don't work doesn't mean that Dark GDK doesn't work. The wizards don't work on my computer either but I still use dark GDK fine. I just copy this code into a new project with the Main.cpp

Then I add these project properties:
C/C++ > Code Generation > Runtime Library > Multi-threaded(/MT)
Linker > Input > Ignore Specific Library > atls, msvcrt
Linker > System > SubSystem > Windows (/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS)

Games are like life, they should never stand still.
CSTeacher
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree that its not too hard to work without the wizards - for those of us who know what we are doing. I'm trying to use this with Tony Gaddis' book to teach newbie's how to program. Having them need to edit the properties, the libraries and the include file lists for each and every project is a little too much. That's why it would be great to get the wizards as well as the library options to work over a college network.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:31:09
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:31:09