Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / NVIDIA's FX Composer 2.5

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 14:46
Is there any possibility to use the FX Composer 2.5 with the GDK commands?
If yes, how can I do this (I am looking for a tutorial but with use with the GDK DSK commands)
Thanks
Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 21:11 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2009 21:13
If you mean use a shader with DarkGDK, it's quite easy. What you can do is simply load the effect, set its constants, and apply it to an object, then GDK will do the rest.

Code:

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 03:56 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2009 03:56
Shaders that you make using FX Composer will not work right off the bat with GDK. They require some small semantics modifications for the view matrices.

If you have a read of the sticky shader thread in the DarkBasic forums(How to write Shaders sticky), it has pretty much all of the relevant info for creating shaders and using them inside darkbasic/gdk.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 09:41 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2009 09:49
Quote: "If you mean use a shader with DarkGDK"

Yes. I am new to Dark GDK commands and I want setup a basic framework for my games for use of shadows and bump mapping.

Quote: "If you have a read of the sticky shader thread in the DarkBasic forums..."

I'll take a look.

So far, I searched in the forums for shadows. An interesting thread is:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=156086&b=22
but the results are not so good.
[img][/img]

Besides, I always see the NVIDIA logo in my screen (I don't know the reason).
[img][/img]

Because I am not experienced in shaders, all I want is a ready for use package for shadowing and bump mapping.

1. Create my model, its texture and its bump map
2. Apply textures and shadows and go!

Then I will be able to focus in my game development. Do you think that Dark Shader is better choice for me? The code of the two shaders tutorials (Advanced and Beginner) in the Turorials folder of the GDK looks very simple and clean.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 14:40
well, i have no experience with DarkShader, but just using .fx files is not that difficult either. (if your shader is correct)
found this link in some thread: http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/hlsl-tutorials you will find tutorials on writing shaders for beginners there...

and the shadow mapping example looks so strange because i've made some mistakes with the objects scale. a higher scale of the whole scene should help.
the nvidia logo comes from the "spotlight.dds" image in the media folder of this example.

They say it's better to burn out, than it is to fade away...
george++
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 16:54
@_Pauli_: Thanks for the link and the explanation for the logo.
I just bought the Dark Shader because it does not cost too much and I believe it is a good entry point

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 12:33:02
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 12:33:02