Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / can I disable light mapping on specific entities?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 17:28 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2009 17:29
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if I can disable light effects on specific objects.. is it possible?

I make custom terrains for my game and lighting on any kind of terrains is awful and not cast correctly..

TY..

Scurvy Lobster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 17:46
Post an image of the problem. It might show us the problem and help us understand it better.

The best solution could probably be to fix your terrain rather than try to make a hack for the lightmapping.

Running my latest game superbly on FPSC and Project Blue Mod.
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 17:58
it's not just my terrains, it happens to terrains I got from the community too.. here's a screen for DTI-LScape..

Attachments

Login to view attachments
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 18:08
Put lightmap quality to full, and jack up the lighting quality in the Setup file and it'll look better.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny is now in my sig. Why? because bunnys da best and ya cant argue with that!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Yep, i have the same too, but as GJ said set to full and play with settings it worked for me.

Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2009 22:12
well it worked but the game now takes almost double the time to load and started lagging.. :S

no way I can make an object not affected by lights?

Thank You..

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 04:51 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 04:54
Quote: "well it worked but the game now takes almost double the time to load and started lagging"

Static lights shouldn't affect the performance when you're in-game, but yes, it will take longer for the engine to calculate lightmaps when you raise their quality.

Quote: "no way I can make an object not affected by lights?"

Not that I know of. But if you set your terrain to dynamic, it will smooth out its surface faces, and will no longer receive highlights and shadows from the lighting in the level. You can then bake your own ambient occlusion onto the terrain's texture in the modeling program so it doesn't stand out from the rest of the models in your game.

Kravenwolf

AdrianoJones Wannabe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 05:08
Quote: "Not that I know of. But if you set your terrain to dynamic, it will smooth out its surface faces, and will no longer receive highlights and shadows from the lighting in the level. You can then bake your own ambient occlusion onto the terrain's texture in the modeling program so it doesn't stand out from the rest of the models in your game."

I think the terrain are segments, so I don't think they cant really be set to dynamic.
-Adrian

I love Taylor Swift. She's awesome.
Hey guys! Help me! Join the creative design forums! http://creativedesign.candorweb.com/index.php
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 05:19 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 05:33
Quote: "I think the terrain are segments, so I don't think they cant really be set to dynamic."

I thought he was using one large plane (entity) as traditionally done with terrian.

EDIT: Not so traditional in FPSC, I suppose

Kravenwolf

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 05:39
Nice, Kraven, I did a bunch o' those in wings 3d a while back.
I did one in blender as well.

(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) Bunny is now in my sig. Why? because bunnys da best and ya cant argue with that!
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 17:59
You should sell that Kraven! Or give it away...

Can you survive from the horrors of the hidden land Occulo?
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 18:50 Edited at: 24th Sep 2009 18:52
Quote: "You should sell that Kraven! Or give it away..."

Haha, I didn't even save it; I threw it together in about 3 minutes just to post an example here XD

EDIT: Didn't save the Blender file, but the entity is still in my entity bank (duh)

Download attached.

Kravenwolf

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Bibo4PC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2009 19:58
yes actually using it as an entity solved it completely TY

nice terrain btw

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 04:48
Thanks, Kraven.
I have a question: do you uv map your models? I have used blender a couple times, but I never figured out how to (succesfully) use its UV editor.
Its different than the one i used.
If so, could you point me to a good tut?

(\__/)
(O.o )

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-13 01:21:10
Your offset time is: 2024-10-13 01:21:10