Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / I finished Hello World... now what?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Alright I just started with Dark GDK yesterday.I finished the hello world tutorial and was excited to finally be able to start learning about making games.The other tutorials in the system are all about 3d programming which I'm not ready for yet I'm pretty sure and the last one was dark invaders which seems like a very large jump from hello world to that..Are there any 2d tutorials in between to help me learn some of this stuff?
puppyofkosh
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's what I'd do: try to make pong. It's what I did after I finished that tutorial, I wasn't new to c++ but I was to darkGDK and after that I had a basic sense of game logic (everything goes in the loop, you have to redraw the stuff every frame etc) stuff like that.
Zotoaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2009 16:08
Hello world -> MMORPG is a surprisingly small step. I recommend you make one.

But in all seriousness, yes, pong.

"everyone forgets a semi-colon sometimes." - Phaelax
Ovan35
Years of Service
User Offline
so essentially what you're saying is there is no smaller tutorials?Sink or Swim?Alright I'll take a look at this darkinvaders and see what I can figure out from the code.I was wondering if I was nuts or something because I've looked through 10 pages of google searches and nothing but 3d tutorials.

Thanks alot for the responses
helpfull programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi just what I am looking for ovan, I am currently making a series of films/tutorials for just your people just go to www.youtube.com/helpfullprogrammer for them or type helpfullprogrammer into youtube. please check it out as it is just what you need! wow I was waiting for you! very happy to me.
Paynterboi TicTacToe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 23:51 Edited at: 29th Sep 2009 23:52
Just to emphasize the former post. I have watched several of helpfull programmer's tutorials and they are full of information that can help you out. From what it sounds however, you probably need to go in reverse, DarkGDK is useful to help teach game logic and provides easy to use tools to manipulate sounds, sprites, 3d objects etc. It can be an easy approach to understanding how the elements of c++ are used to create a wide variety of programs expanding from 3d games as well. But without the knowledge of what C++ has to offer ( the previously mentioned elements ) you cannot understand what the gdk does, just how to use it, and you also will be limited in control of the game as well. Use google to learn about the basic and advanced elements of C++ alongside your adventures in the GDK.

Also ask other new people, it may be easier to understand what issues you face from the point of view of a person who has just recently been through identicle issues.

EYE R T3H +ick +ack +oe mester
Ovan35
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah the helpful programmer site is a very good site.It's helped me to get started.His lessons are pretty easy to understand and the way he breaks things down is just awesome.Thought I would give some feedback on this so everyone would know how it went.

It was such a small seed... I needed to find out what was growing inside. And there was only one way to find out. So I decided to raise it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:32:45
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:32:45