Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK .NET / Problem installing Redistributable on Vista 64bit

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2009 23:55
The file DGDK.DLL fails to register during install on several Vista 64bit machines. It doesn't give an error number just a HRESULT number which resulted no search results.

When I try to manually register dgdk.dll with regsvr32, it gives me a binary format error.

Let me know what other info you may need.

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2009 15:19
Grayvyn,

I will need to investigate this because it may be related to similiar problems with compiling projects on Vista64 before switching the binary format to x86. I'll see what I can do to resolve this problem.

Can I also confirm that DirectX v9.0c is installed on the Vista systems?

Paul.

Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 07:23
OK, on my wife's Vista 64 bit machine, I got DX 9.0c installed then your DarkGDK.Net installed with no problems.

But now, the game I made, crashes right when you run it. I need to research it some more. Will, probably add some logging code to see exactly where it crashing. It could just be a logic error in my code but I doubt it since it runs fine on my other XP and Vista 32bit machines.

I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks

Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 09:06
OK, I added some code like this:

But none of the message boxes show up on the Vista 64bit machine. My guess is it is crashing in a constructor. I ran a regular .Net 3.5 app with no DGDK and it ran fine.

Maybe you can send me a logged version of the library? And I can send you the log file it makes so maybe you can see where it crashes?

Right now, this is medium priority to me but I am finding more and more ppl with Vista 64 bit. I have a Win7 64 bit at work I have yet to try so I'll let you know about that some day.

Oh, the game is at projectrts.com.

Thanks

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 19:57
Grayvyn,

If the messageboxes are not showing at all, chances are, it's the actual DLL failing to reference a dependency such as DirectX. Usually the InitialiseGDK is the first thing to happen as part of firing up any video modes and allocating memory. If it's not getting even as far as that, chances are it's something to do with the program initialisation.

One thing you could try, is to go to http://live.sysinternals.com/ and download procmon.exe. This will log everything that happens when you fire up your application.

Just be aware though, procmon is very processor intensive, and will slow your system down considerably.

Paul.

Grayvyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 00:28
Got it figure out. I read in another post that the target needed to be x86. After I set that, it ran on the vista 64bit and win7 64bit machines just fine.
Thanks

APEXnow
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2009 16:18
Grayvyn,

Did I not suggest that in an earlier post in this thread? Anyway, glad you're up and running.

Paul.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 12:56:49
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 12:56:49