Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / DarkAI Pathfinding - Impossible Paths

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 00:44 Edited at: 30th Sep 2009 00:45
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before or if the waypoints shown in the example are all actually used when calculating a path, but any paths that proceed out from a bound vertex at an angle the puts it inside the polygon if the lines are extended should be invalid. No shortest route would ever need to go between two points like that when one of the points already has access to every location the other point has access to.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 18:04
Its showing you all the roots it calculated; the posibilites, not the shortest one.

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2009 20:18 Edited at: 30th Sep 2009 20:24
Yes, but using waypoint connections in the calculation that would never be used increases the load on the cpu and the memory footprint.
For instance, if you have 4 cubes in the arrangement shown:

Then no path will ever travel between any of the inner four vertices because each other vertex already has access to the same areas as the other 3. Essentially any waypoint path the travels out from a vertex at an angle that puts it inside the "reflected" area of the polygons edges will be invalid as a path.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 03:56
I think I understand the general gist but I'm really having a hard time following you beyond that.
Perhaps I'm missing the point entirely.

luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 04:34
Look at one of the inner vertices of the squares shown in the picture. You will never be able to devise a situation in which moving from one vertex to a corner vertex of the square across from it would ever give you the shortest path somewhere unless the path itself is merely between those two points. linking them in the program just adds unecessary paths to check during runtime, which could potentially affect your game's framerate or AI response time in outdoor style or crowded indoor style evironments.

HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Oct 2009 18:19
Regardless though this is DarkAI, Its not a real AI thing by far its to give wannabe developers a sense of AI that they dont have because they dont know / too lazy to code themselves.

Dark AI seems to calulate every posible path without optermisation, it does its job.

code master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 07:36
I see what your saying, I do believe.
That's unfortunate...

HavokDelta6: I beg to differ.
Commercial game studios license AI middle-ware occasional, and if not, they almost always have a programmer totally dedicated to that art.
Nothing's wrong with being a little weak in the AI area, and if that's where you are, then DarkAI seems like a great tool to bridge that gap.

HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2009 12:56
When compainies buy game engines, that doesnt count, but when they buy AI systems, if ever, i doubt its for £30 and i bet its a lot more efficent; darkAI is primitive, look at what you get, A* path finding basically.

if i am at a waypoint
-> if the target is above me, go up if posible
-> if the target is to my left, go left if posible,

It just wants to get closer to its target.....
Could you honnistly not write that?

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 11:28
HavokDelta6
I think you're totally missing the point. I think DarkAI is actually quite expensive for what you get. I mean, most of it is totally useless, the built-in AI commands, teams and so on is all total rubbish, BUT, if you just use the A* pathfinding and write the rest of the AI yourself (cover finding, teamwork etc) then it's really good and definately worth the money.
I think you're being overly harsh, and frankly comparing a hobbyists tool with commercial engines is such a pointless excercise.

Quote: "Luke810"

Yeah, DarkAI is very slow in alot of it's functions. Most of the time it's best to severely limit the amount of calculating you let DarkAI do, and take over most of the control yourself. I'd just use it to get the paths!

I want robotic legs.
HavokDelta6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 01:39
so you would pay to do A* pathfinidng and nothing else, and this is advanced for your money?

one game; to destroy your advanced theroy:
Pac-man

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 09:28:00
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 09:28:00