Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Magic Particles

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again guys.

This time I'm trying to use Magic Particles with Dark GDK, the thing is when i checked out how the wrapper did i went pretty confused, i tried making my program look the same like his but no use.
So i just wonder if there is any1 here who could give a useful step-by-step tutorial on MP for DGDK
Thanks in advance

//Chamillion

You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
So no suggestions :S?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
check this thread

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157049&b=22

all you need to know is there
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
I did mate.. Feels a bit complicated.

I mean like .. Do i really need to have these 10,000 files in the same project or is it enough with main.cpp?

Thats why I need a tutorial >.<

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 07:32
I dont think there is any tutorials for Magic Particles. Short of searching these forums for topics there isnt alot of info about it. One thing you will have to be familiar with to use it though is native directX, not an expert or anything, its not very complex, but you will need to be familiar with how it operates and how to use render targets.

Magic Particles DarkGDK wrapper is not really a "wrapper" as such around DarkGDK, all it is really doing is capturing GDK's DirectX Device, the IDirect3DDevice9* interface obtainable through dbGetDirect3DDevice(); , and sending all of its data to a render target being pasted over the top of the screen.

In its original form the wrapper is very intrusive and is only 2D. To use it in it's native form, you need to clear the GDK screen before you render the particles, the problem is, doing that means you cant have any 3D rendering going on as it gets either cleared or overwritten by the particles, depending on the order you render in.

I made an alteration to the wrapper, to enable it to use GDK images as render targets, the GDK image can then be textured onto a 3D object or a GDK sprite and used within GDK however you want. This is the link :

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157049&b=22

Its the same as the one posted by bjadams just with the hyperlink working.

The Magic Particles system is quite flexible when you get your head around how it all works. It is quite complex initially and the documentation is kind of sparse and assumes a fairly in depth knowledge of the DirectX API and general rendering techniques(eg. texture atlas usage/creation) plus how to program using an Object Oriented structure, the wrapper is all encapsulated into classes and features small levels of inheritance, but once you have that knowledge under your belt, like I said the system is very good.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx Mista I appreciate that VERY much.

So i guess the only choice left for me is to study that file and try to get it ( Nvm the complicate-ness ยด>.< )

Chamillion

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
complicated?

after all the work done by Mista it can't get any simpler to use. it works 100% and you can alter some parameters to suite your needs.
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Definetly.

Im gonna study it actually. Cuz it looks like thats my only option here <.<

Chamillion

Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2009 12:22
It can seem complicated initially, like I said, I think that has more to do with the background and experience of the programmer in things like this... If you have never used DirectX before then all of the DX stuff is going to be terribly confusing to start with, same for anything programming related usually but it will all make sense eventually. For example, if an old school straight-C programmer, who had written DOS based C code for 20+ years, but nothing else at all, was put infront of a windows C++ compiler and told to go for it, he would be swimming in the deep end aswell, would probably be able to muddle through it, but not easily.... its all relative really

It will just take you some time to get it all in your head and to make sense of it. My best advice is to use google and to ask questions if you need to. ANYTIME there is ANYTHING that you are not 100% sure of, search for it and get some more info on it or post a question if you cant find any answers anywhere else.

Good luck If you need help, feel free to ask

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Chamill
Years of Service
User Offline
Thx i will surely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:28:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:28:04