Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Chat Implementation with Multisync?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 23:22 Edited at: 3rd Oct 2009 23:25
Hello there,

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=154743&b=22:
Quote: "In the last few weeks, I've been porting one of my game projects (a casual game) to DarkGDK, which has been done in Irrlicht (with other helper softwares such as audiere for audio and physx for physics) and XNA before.

But for now, I planned to make it an MMO which can handle upto 100 players at a time in each server."

I'm now trying to implement chat feature to my game.
First I would like to explain a bit about my game server structure:
- Login Server: Handles player authentication (connected to a MySQL DB)
- World Server: Handles up to 100 players connection, 50 game rooms for 8 players/room (with the data of each room stored in the database), the main chatroom for the lobby, and one chatroom EACH game room (51 chatrooms in total).

There will be 1 Login Server and 3 World Servers connected to 1 MySQL server containing 4 databases (1 stores the account information, and the other 3 stores the World Server information)

Now I have questions related the logic and the optimization for my chat implementation.
1. How messages are delivered to the server, and how the messages are synchronized to all players connected to the world server?
--- In my mind: Create a timer in the world server, and supply the complete messages list to ALL clients every 1 second as a veeery long string using NetPutString function. But I think this isn't a good idea as it would slower the connection(?).
2. Where messages should be stored? MySQL Database? or a plain text file (and make a parser for it)?
--- In my mind: Create a message table in each world server database to store the messages. But I think this would make the MySQL server busy as it handles many queries for both message collection (see q.1) and message insertion.
3. Or there are better solutions for the questions above?

Well, that's all of my questions, and please note that I am using Multisync.

Any kind of help would be appreciated!

Thanks

if(asleep) sheep++;

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-01 14:44:20
Your offset time is: 2024-10-01 14:44:20